Some thoughts on AKG K812 pro
May 4, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #48 of 60
1714855173293.png

However, because of the small K812 connector, the cable must be made as a twisted, [tightly] sleeved design and not braided as shown in the above picture.
Hope to post a photo of my actual cable before day's end [Deo volente].

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #53 of 60
Pics of the actual cable [twisted, sleeved design to accommodate small K812 connector]:

IMG_20240504_172340961_HDR.jpg
Picked up one of their cables for my K872s but stayed with the Neutrik termination.

Cables in. : ) Nicely made, similar thickness to the stock cable so light and flexible, a lot more so than the adjacent Fogcity dual strand Mogami 26AWG balanced cable for the HD800S.
E252A02A-6CD5-49AC-AE50-05664F2740DC.jpeg
….sonic improvements, maybe? Mostly it was to shorten the length but also to eliminate an extra connector which IMHO can introduce some distortion in the upper frequencies as the electrons have to jump and navigate multiple surfaces and sometimes dissimilar metals….
B0137143-94D6-4D10-A261-6FAC31002914.jpeg
Listening to multiple flute recordings by Robert Aitken there is zero distortion in the upper registers, an excellent sign, overall a beautiful sounding headphone IMHO. 👍

May 6, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #54 of 60
I got exactly the same core cable made for the same reasons, Rob

May 9, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #56 of 60
LOL - to do this correctly, you'd need to completely disassemble your phones, buy a second left-sided cardanic structure and LEMO socket to modify the right sided headphone shell, rewire the whole thing with 2 left sided cardanic structures and the associated wiring into the LEMO sockets (ALA the Focal Utopia) and assemble a new cable with 2 male LEMO connectors. I'd guess if you had this done professionally (so it at least was done as beautifully as the unmodified set), it would cost about as much again as a new K812 (i.e. around the cost of a new Composer), for possibly minimal sonic gain over the OEM SE unit.
....and if an AKG K912 ever came into existence (which is sadly unlikely now), this is exactly the pathway that should have been travelled. SIGH!

May 15, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #57 of 60
Running the K812 w/Arctic Cables "Define" and [now] the Mojo Audio Mystique [v.1] NOS DAC.
NO EQ and everything sounds just about perfect.
Returning to, and enjoying once again--and again even more, The Dave Brubeck Quartet's timeless "Time Out".
[Just put my MM-500 up for sale . . . ]

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #58 of 60
Running the K812 w/Arctic Cables "Define" and [now] the Mojo Audio Mystique [v.1] NOS DAC.
NO EQ and everything sounds just about perfect.
Returning to, and enjoying once again--and again even more, The Dave Brubeck Quartet's timeless "Time Out".
[Just put my MM-500 up for sale . . . ]
Agree.

May 16, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #60 of 60
I am wondering if it is not possible and of course much easier to drill holes in the grill and solder balanced cables directly to the drivers? Anyone have tried or thought about it?
Haven't and it shouldn't be a problem and I've always felt hard wire connections are always best for a superior signal congruity especially with headphones where each time the electrical signal has to move from one surface to another it can and will be distorted so a win win situation in my books.:)
With the AKG K812 driver should be rather straight forward
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 4.28.32 PM.png
If it wasn't totally impractical the best would be hardwired from the headphone drivers to the amp but everyone wants detachable cables.
:slight_frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back