The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 4, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #88,352 of 89,512
That's one of Grooverider's aliases!

Groove if that's you, this is Dave, Fabio's pal in Bangkok/Goldie's daughter's godfather - you did that show for me on NYE 2019/2020 with Fab :)

The other half :)

May 4, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #88,353 of 89,512
It was technically a bootleg. But sampling is the root of the most popular dance music/hip hop beats (Daft Punk/The Prodigy/Fatboy slim are all masters of it & lifted as much of originals if not more of what we did). If you know what drum n bass is we were only outsold by Pendulum on vinyl that year (when you could still shift a decent amount of vinyl singles) & was A listed in the BBC Radio One dance chart, stayed in the BBC dnb (biggest electronic genre in the UK) top ten for nine months & it still gets played today.

Here you go - this link had lasted a surprisingly long time. The track was remastered & re-released on vinyl & digitally in 2020 & did well again. The vinyl sold out againx and I've never actually owned one, only a dubplate (acetate). I don't have many super proud moments like this...

The comments made an old man's day.

Wow, that's pretty good!

May 4, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #88,354 of 89,512
Hi Watercooler friends! I’d like to drop some impressions on MA Alter Ego’s upgraded cable (the one Mark bought to Canjam SG).

IMG_7123.jpeg
Just got the cable earlier this week. Interestingly, AE sounds really different on the upgraded cable (Silver Alloy) compared to the stock one (OCC).

My listening setup: Sony WM1Z + Alter Ego + Final Type C ear tips

Impressions:

The upgraded cable provides better resolution & dynamic. There’re noticeable improvements in detail retrieval and texture. The bass is tighter and the highs are clearer & more crispy in both modes. In default mode AE becomes more aggressive and transparent. While the bass is more weighty yet with less rumble in bass mode.

For me, I would name this upgraded cable Superego. :)
P.S. The price is not decided yet.
Why did they have to go with that design choice of the Alter Ego. There will be dirt collecting in each of the sharp corners inside.

May 4, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #88,355 of 89,512
It was technically a bootleg. But sampling is the root of the most popular dance music/hip hop beats (Daft Punk/The Prodigy/Fatboy slim are all masters of it & lifted as much of originals if not more of what we did). If you know what drum n bass is we were only outsold by Pendulum on vinyl that year (when you could still shift a decent amount of vinyl singles) & was A listed in the BBC Radio One dance chart, stayed in the BBC dnb (biggest electronic genre in the UK) top ten for nine months & it still gets played today.

Here you go - this link had lasted a surprisingly long time. The track was remastered & re-released on vinyl & digitally in 2020 & did well again. The vinyl sold out againx and I've never actually owned one, only a dubplate (acetate). I don't have many super proud moments like this...

The comments made an old man's day.

Yo, that's nice! I would not have known this is a Michael Jackson song remix. :D really cool, congrats!

May 4, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #88,356 of 89,512
I am absolutely baffled that the Prestige Ltd was not even in the top IEM's of 2023 on here. It's my favourite IEM of all time - and funnily the cheapest - out of my five main IEM'S (I have a 6th... Hype 4... but that's my out and about headphone;absolutely tremendous value all rounder for a a very noisy city - Bangkok - environment) - the most expensive of those is the 2nd place ranked Annihilator (getting sold on hear soon as I've barely used it) & I think the Prestige Ltd is so, so much better.
Can you share more on why the Prestige Ltd. sits above others including the Anni for you?

May 4, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #88,357 of 89,512
It's been an uneventful and boring Saturday so I figured I would spend some time typing this up although I didn't plan to. It was an exciting day for me yesterday... Thanks to a very generous head-fi'er I was able to demo the ZMF Caldera (through Mjolnir) and use it sort of as a test to see how well I would enjoy headphones. Long story short, they just won't work for me. The lack of any isolation on an open back means I have to turn them up way too loud to block out exterior noise and I'm not comfortable with that, and for whatever reason I just don't have interest in closed backs. I can't say I didn't try though! Tonality wise I heard the Caldera to have a warmer low mid with a more relaxed upper mid and slightly elevated treble response. This didn't quite work for me as I felt the treble cut through the mid range too aggressively and sounded rather unnatural. Regardless I am very appreciative to have been able to test this in my own home.

I also received the SP3000T demo from MusicTeck. Ever since I heard this at CanJam NYC and was quite impressed by the DAP and it has been something on my radar to spend more time with, so I've been testing it with the Storm and comparing against the Mjolnir. I'm looking to add a DAP for my occasional portable use but I'm conflicted on how much I want to spend on one since the Mjolnir is my primary source of listening. Here's some brief impressions so far:

IMG_0102.jpg

As expected from an AK flagship, the build quality is outstanding. The device is quite heavy but feels very premium, I also think the volume knob is much better on this compared to the SP3000 as it's no longer functioning as a screen on/off button as well, there is a lock button on the top of the DAP now and a fourth button on the left side to take you to the AMP toggle screen, however if the screen is off this button is rendered useless as it doesn't actually swap the amp modes itself. It is essentially a shortcut.

The Mjolnir to me is my baseline neutral-reference sound and has very minimal coloration to its tonality. The SP3000T in comparison has a fuller and slower decaying mid bass, a warmer and more forward mid range, with a smoother but nicely detailed treble response. The balance between warmth and clarity is done rather well but I wouldn't suggest pairing this with already warmer tuned IEMs as it may be too much of a good thing. While the presentation is on the fuller and more punchy side compared to SP3000, it is still quite typical overall of what I am used to from AK-Ultima DAPs in giving a smoother, more relaxing feel to music as opposed to the more incisive dynamics and sharper transients from something like the MASSKobo 475 or DX320 Max. Soundstage is above average in size with a great sense of imaging, providing just enough separation between notes to stop things from sounding like they're too close together or congested. Background is "black" in OP amp mode as expected and has a very very faint "tape reel" background noise when using the tubes, but nothing worth making a big deal over at all.

As you scale through the modes I hear the overall tonality to remain fairly similar in being warm-tilted but the differences mostly lies in how I hear the mid bass decay and forwardness/fullness of the mid range. OP AMP mode has the tightest bass and slightly more revealing and pulled back mids compared to tube mode, with hybrid sitting somewhere in between. You can also toggle between 1-5 settings in the hybrid mode to give a tilt towards OP or Tube mode. There is also low, mid, and high current modes when you are using the hybrid or tube modes. I like hybrid 2 (leaning closer to OP amp mode) with lower current the most so far from all available settings as I like the balance between warmth and detail it provides. I have noticed when you are using the full tube mode and high current that the DAP is quite sensitive to bumps and the tubes will ring with a rather drawn out "eeeeeeeee" linger which I find quite off-putting and distracting. It's less noticeable on Storm but with easier to drive IEMs I can imagine this being very annoying, and borderline deal breaking. It's not as noticeable on medium or low current, or using the hybrid mode. One thing I do find a tad strange is that if I tap the back of the DAP to get it to ring but then cycle from tube to OP amp mode and back to tube, the ringing stops... 🤷🏽‍♂️ I also occasionally hear this ringing even when the DAP is stationary but it has to be in tube mode and high current. Moving around the house with the DAP in my pocket doesn't seem to trigger it like tapping the back of the DAP does. I also did get to compare the SP3000T to the SP3000 Gold at NYC and between the OP mode of the T and the Gold I felt the SP3000 still has higher detail, resolution, clarity, and bigger staging, but I think the T is probably the better buy as you're getting more choices to tinker with without sacrificing too much.

WiFi is on the weaker side. I have some dead zones in my house where the signal gets quite weak and the SP3000T drops out completely there, whereas some other DAPs like the N30 LE or RS8 will stay connected but have a weaker signal. I would assume this is probably done on purpose to help shield the tubes from interference. The DAP can also get warm to the touch but nothing that I am finding problematic. Battery life also seems quite average at best but this hasn't really had any charging cycles and I think I am still spoiled from the RS8 and R8 II which have much larger capacity batteries in comparison. You also cannot lock the side buttons when the screen is off, why this isn't an option blows my mind. Also AK REALLY needs to let you scale the display here to take advantage of the screen resolution and real estate, because apps like Spotify are far too zoomed in for no reason as pictured below.

IMG_0112.JPG

I think my biggest conflict here overall is that at $3000 MSRP it's quite a lot to ask mostly due to the depreciation of other DAPs that are available and offer "more" for less. Anywhere between $1500 and $2300 ish you can pick up an R8 II, RS8, DX320 Max, M9+, ZM2, etc... it makes shelling out for a brand new TOTL DAP in 2024 quite hard to swallow, at least in my mind it does. You can also add about $700 to the MSRP of the SP3000T and pick up a used N30 LE which is a different tier all together of performance. If this was priced around $1800 I think would have bought one already. As of right now I don't think I'll pick one up, but I will send this back to MT and see how much I miss it and go from there, regardless I am really enjoying spending my time with it and what I am hearing at home is definitely where I left off at with it in NYC. :beerchug:
I don't understand the resistance to closed backs? You're used to iems, and having total isolation, so closed backs would seem to be the obvious choice.

What don't you like about them?

May 4, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #88,358 of 89,512
I don't understand the resistance to closed backs? You're used to iems, and having total isolation, so closed backs would seem to be the obvious choice.

What don't you like about them?

Just a mental block I suppose? If I’m using closed backs I’d rather just use IEMs and be able to take them on the go with me as well. Also I find the clamp of headphones a little annoying but I’m sure that’s something I would get used to over time.

May 4, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #88,359 of 89,512
I’m only really getting to spend time with the R8 II this weekend and putting it through its paces… D9200 on duty tonight and the Hiby powering with ease and sounding fantastic.

IMG_3526.jpeg

May 4, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #88,360 of 89,512
Just a mental block I suppose? If I’m using closed backs I’d rather just use IEMs and be able to take them on the go with me as well. Also I find the clamp of headphones a little annoying but I’m sure that’s something I would get used to over time.
So, it's not a SQ thing. I have open back but rarely use. In my case, it's just easier, and for me, equally satisfying listening to my iems.

But I'm thinking about a pair of closed backs. I want that isolation and what I think comes with it. And having done exactly zero real demos of closed backs, this Socal Canjam may take me in that direction. You join me, and we'll get a great meme out of it 🤣.

May 4, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #88,361 of 89,512
So, it's not a SQ thing. I have open back but rarely use. In my case, it's just easier, and for me, equally satisfying listening to my iems.

But I'm thinking about a pair of closed backs. I want that isolation and what I think comes with it. And having done exactly zero real demos of closed backs, this Socal Canjam may take me in that direction. You join me, and we'll get a great meme out of it 🤣.

No not at all. I haven’t tried any closed backs so I wouldn’t be able to make that judgement.

Yes haha SoCal will be great!

May 4, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #88,362 of 89,512
Hey Cooler, happy weekend!

I finally got around to writing up my Vortex Seraphina thoughts. I liked this cable so much I did a whole review! It was a lovely addition to my chain even though I bought for an IEM I have yet to receive!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vortex-cables-seraphina.27207/reviews
IMG_7555.jpeg

Would mean a lot to me if you check it out. If you are hesitant to jump in to pricier cables from the budget section, I feel like this may be a worthwhile review. It's why I wrote it, and should be considered when reading it!

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #88,364 of 89,512
I’m only really getting to spend time with the R8 II this weekend and putting it through its paces… D9200 on duty tonight and the Hiby powering with ease and sounding fantastic.

IMG_3526.jpeg
I’ve tried the R8 once in the shops but really wanted to take one home to put it through my tests. I must say first impressions are very good. Do you have other DAPs to compare this to? What do you like about it?

May 4, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #88,365 of 89,512
I hereby officially declare a challenge to IEM and headphone makers alike, to create the worlds' first personal audio device with an A-style tuning AND industry re-defining sound-quality, of course!
images (11).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back