Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #391 of 571

I am not sure if this was meant to prove something, or trying to have a laugh. Hopefully all existing owners since before "couple of months ago" are having a free upgrade, however much that means.

I wasn't stating that it's perfect, there is room for improvement. Yet, You've put some pictures from old models and I merely showed you how it looks now. That is all. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #393 of 571
  He was just joking around.  Still the build quality of the Lampizator DAC are not on the same level as the AMR DACs.

After a while I've figured
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think there's a single person who wouldn't agree with you here. AMR products look excellent.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #394 of 571
I have about 4 nights with this dac. I agreed that this is a special dac indeed. Makes me kind of forget about technicality, while at the same time still provide correct texture and timbre of music. Thanks a lot gavtron for lending me your baby. You will have her back tonight :)
Looking forward to hear the upgraded SE version also, Gav :)

BTW, for some reason, I prefer its classic dac chip to its HD chip. But then again, I don't have the same recording on both HD and classic, only based on comparison with Diverter and ref7. Have anyone have a preference on either classic chip or HD chip?

And I found that its USB input is nicer than its coax digital from Diverter. Slightly better bass texture and impact, slightly more involving mids and depth.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #395 of 571
Yes, I'm in it for it's classic DAC as well.  As I listen to Redbook most of the time. The HD DAC is ok, no the best out there - but the classic DAC is why I like the AMR so much.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #396 of 571
Thanks preproman for confirmation. Looking forward to your impression on SE version, & comparison to other dacs.

My ideal dac at this stage (with stratus) will be similar tone, texture & timbre with diverter+ref7 (I prefer this area of ref7 to master7 based on my short audition) with the staging (particularly the depth) and effortless of classic chip of dp777.
Hopefully, The SE version achieve that.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #397 of 571
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Naw - I've heard from many others who sold their MSB in favor of the AMR - Just as you did the opposite.  Plus a person on here told me the Analog DAC is not worth the money - he now has the Diamond DAC.

I am not aware of that. I know of one person other than myself who had sold the AMR in favour of the MSB. I think the AMR has a rather 'dreamy' presentation that may appeal to some, but I like the MSB more because it is more engaging.

I hope the Yggy will replace my MSB (and free up some cash).

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #398 of 571

I am not aware of that. I know of one person other than myself who had sold the AMR in favour of the MSB. I think the AMR has a rather 'dreamy' presentation that may appeal to some, but I like the MSB more because it is more engaging.

I hope the Yggy will replace my MSB (and free up some cash).

I go way outside of head fi.  I deal with a lot of people that only use speakers, so in that area the ARM out does the MSB (analog DAC) by a wide margin.  It's when you get to the MSB high end DACs that the AMR could not compete.  Also, my friends rigs that only use speakers are way more on the high end side or should I say - they spend a lot of more money on their rigs that I would ever dream of.

I know Greed took that route,  but Greed does not hold on to anything for to long. lol....

Well the AMR DP-777 as we now know it will be obsolete.  The AMR DP-777SE will be a totally different DAC.  With no question a much improved DAC than before - and for the money still under the price of a MSB - Now that's impressive.  

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #399 of 571

I go way outside of head fi.  I deal with a lot of people that only use speakers, so in that area the ARM out does the MSB (analog DAC) by a wide margin.  It's when you get to the MSB high end DACs that the AMR could not compete.  Also, my friends rigs that only use speakers are way more on the high end side or should I say - they spend a lot of more money on their rigs that I would ever dream of.

I know Greed took that route,  but Greed does not hold on to anything for to long. lol....

Well the AMR DP-777 as we now know it will be obsolete.  The AMR DP-777SE will be a totally different DAC.  With no question a much improved DAC than before - and for the money still under the price of a MSB - Now that's impressive.  

I'm also more of a speaker guy than headphone one these days.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #400 of 571
It's great to see a renewed enthusiasm for my beloved AMR! I was loosing interest to not knowing anything about this SE upgrade and started looking elsewhere for something different.

The truth is that there is not much anything that is better especially for the price. I heard a Lector Digicode S-192 (4,500 €) and the Analog Dac. Yes the Digicode has more bite and is more dynamic. Wasn't that impressed with the Analog Dac.

So definetely gonna keep my DP-777 and do the upgrade! I will get a better sound and save a LOT of money! Hopefully dynamics will improve too. And it will look terrific as it does today!

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #401 of 571
I should add that the classic dac is clearly better. I am also more of a loudspeaker guy though I love listening to my Stax sr-009 
beyersmile.png

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #402 of 571
  I should add that the classic dac is clearly better.

Even with HD material? The reviews I've seen state that the classic is best for redbook and the HD chip is best for HD :¬)

Side note, I should be getting a home demo of the AMR 777SE and Scala MKII. Should be an interesting comparison.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #403 of 571

Even with HD material? The reviews I've seen state that the classic is best for redbook and the HD chip is best for HD :¬)

Side note, I should be getting a home demo of the AMR 777SE and Scala MKII. Should be an interesting comparison.

That's what I do use different chips for what they were intended for. I have very few HD tracks, but it's just that redbook sounds better. 

Looking forward to your demo, indeed it should be very interesting to know your impressions. Don't forget to let us know!

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #404 of 571
  That's what I do use different chips for what they were intended for. I have very few HD tracks, but it's just that redbook sounds better. 

Looking forward to your demo, indeed it should be very interesting to know your impressions. Don't forget to let us know!

Just to clarify, are you saying that the same album in 44/16 and 96/24 will always sound better in 44/16?

I'll most certainly report my findings here. My heart wants the 777, but the 6Moons review of the Scala II was rather positive too. Should be a good mini dac-off :¬)

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #405 of 571
If I'm not wrong the La Scala II use the same DAC chips (4 - PCM 1704K but less) as the Master 7 (8 - PCM 1704UK).  That's if the K and the UK are the same?    Of course the circuit and implementations are different.  

Master 7:  http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN.htm

La Scala mkII:  http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

But how about the La Voice S2:  http://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce.html#prettyPhoto

Looks like if (I'm reading it correctly) you can choose what DAC chip you want between the 
PCM1704-K (2), TDA1541A - R2R 16 bit / 96 kHz or the Analog Devices AD1865 - R2R 18 bit / 192 kHz.  No tubes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back