Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
May 11, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,021 of 1,048
Right now the M8136 is in as it's new (I tend to let a new tube sit in for a few weeks as I get to know its flavor).

For your purpose, go with the Simerns 5814A. The Mullard is a bit more sweet and lush and the Siemens is a bit more clear and open -- it's what you're looking for (and it's awesome, espeically paired with warm output tubes like the XF2 in my case)
Where do you recommend I buy from? I have already in the first week had one input tube fail which I got from hanoitubes on eBay. I have heard order from Brent Jessee. Where have you gotten yours?

May 11, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,022 of 1,048
Sorry. Driver tube that failed came from BullzTubez on Ebay

May 11, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #1,023 of 1,048
Where do you recommend I buy from? I have already in the first week had one input tube fail which I got from hanoitubes on eBay. I have heard order from Brent Jessee. Where have you gotten yours?

My first pair I got from another user here

my second pair for backup I got from Hanoi tubes - they are generally an expensive, reliable, vendor with good NOS stock. Tube failors, at some low frequency, are just an inevitability of some bad luck. If it's a tube you just got from them let them know and ask to replace, they may do that

Brent Jessee has good repuation. haven't bought from him personally. his existing stock is on his site so you can look up if he has that tube.

the Siemens 5814A are becoming harder to source. you may not have much choice where to buy, more about finding it to start with and getting it where you can

May 11, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,024 of 1,048
My first pair I got from another user here

my second pair for backup I got from Hanoi tubes - they are generally an expensive, reliable, vendor with good NOS stock. Tube failors, at some low frequency, are just an inevitability of some bad luck. If it's a tube you just got from them let them know and ask to replace, they may do that

Brent Jessee has good repuation. haven't bought from him personally. his existing stock is on his site so you can look up if he has that tube.

the Siemens 5814A are becoming harder to source. you may not have much choice where to buy, more about finding it to start with and getting it where you can
Would this be a good one? Or does it need to be triple mica? See picture. Don’t even know what triple mica and long plate mean, haha! Steep learning curve in the last week!😊

Attachments

• IMG_4872.png
    IMG_4872.png
    419 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #1,025 of 1,048
Would this be a good one? Or does it need to be triple mica? See picture. Don’t even know what triple mica and long plate mean, haha! Steep learning curve in the last week!😊

Long plates mean the plate (the big vertical metal along the tube, which is the anode of the tube) is longer. Shorter or longer plates can impact the sound in theory.

Triple vs. double mica means those horizontal structures that support the vertical tube components. Triple in theory means more rugged/reinforced, possible less vibrations.

All of these, including other variations, such as the getter types, form the whole of the tube. Sometimes they matter, sometimes they dont.

If you can get a high quality NOS Siemens 5814A go for it, double or triple mica (long plates are good). However, do make sure you get a picture of what the tube loks like not jsut their boxing, so you know what you're getting

May 11, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,026 of 1,048
Long plates mean the plate (the big vertical metal along the tube, which is the anode of the tube) is longer. Shorter or longer plates can impact the sound in theory.

Triple vs. double mica means those horizontal structures that support the vertical tube components. Triple in theory means more rugged/reinforced, possible less vibrations.

All of these, including other variations, such as the getter types, form the whole of the tube. Sometimes they matter, sometimes they dont.

If you can get a high quality NOS Siemens 5814A go for it, double or triple mica (long plates are good). However, do make sure you get a picture of what the tube loks like not jsut their boxing, so you know what you're getting
Thanks for educating me! Pic below

Attachments

• IMG_4873.png
    IMG_4873.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #1,027 of 1,048
Thanks for educating me! Pic below

these are not 5814A... these are ECC82 which are the european code for the american 12au7

the 5814A is a 12au7 variant, a military spec-ed higher quality tube. The code should show on the tube, like this:

1715463044499.png

May 11, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #1,028 of 1,048
I’m learning! Thanks again!

May 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #1,029 of 1,048
May 11, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #1,030 of 1,048
Tubes is a rabbit hole. I still learn myself. But it’s really lots of fun :)
When you hear the sonic benefit it’s really rewarding. My Telefunken sound so clearly better than JJ stock. Makes you wonder what the next roll brings!

May 12, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,031 of 1,048
Rolled out Telefunken 12au7. Rolled in Genalex Gold Lion B749. Cannot honestly tell the difference. Love the sound though. Great sounding tube! I will have a pair of matched KT77 Gold Lions in my possession Tuesday. I will roll them in for the EL34 Telefunkens and see how bright the amp can get. I have read enough to feel that they are safe for the amp. Hope so anyway.
Well right now still in the first 30 minutes of this GL 12au7 tube and I’m getting more and more impressed. This listening experience is so different than my GSXM. Just so much more on offer in terms of layering in particular. Hearing all the different instruments better in a complex layered mix. And the utter naturalness of instruments and haunting realism of vocals. I doubt I’ll ever really love my SS amp as much again. This first tube amp experience is changing me.

May 14, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,032 of 1,048
Just wanted to chime in and say that i just got my hands on the Nirvana today :) I finally wanted to get a taste of a TOTL amp, and i've been on the fence about going to a tube amplifier after spending most of my time with solid states. After seeing a few reviews that stated this amp could drive any headphone, i was curious. My first tube amp was the Little Dot MK4 when i started this hobby in 2013, and i enjoyed the so-called ''tube sound''. However i learned very quickly that most tube amps weren't really suitable for low impedance headphones (even though i knew this beforehand and i had the HD650 at hand at the time) i decided to go with a solid state amp shortly thereafter.

In regards to the Nirvana, it has impeccable build quality. You can clearly see a lot of detail and attention went to the build. I really enjoyed seeing watching this video on youtube where you could see some of the workers building their products in house:

Now let's get to the sound. I was using the Nirvana to power my Abyss Diana Phi, and boy did it ever provide the Phi with gobs of power. I was happy to hear that i hadn't lost any detail or transparency as i know tube amps can add a lot of warmth to the sound. The Nirvana made my listening experience more smooth whilst keeping all the dynamics and transparency that i know my Diana Phi could provide Download Car Parking Multiplayer APK for iOS. I was most worried about losing bass impact and extension with a tube amp, but i am happy to state that this did not happen.

Overall, it looks like i might have found my TOTL headphone amplifier.

Looking for EL 34 tubes for a Leben amplifier. Not ready to spend the dollars needed for NOS. Any suggestions on currently produced options for EL 34?

May 15, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,034 of 1,048
I have Telefunken RFT el34’s which sound excellent. They were like 260 used on eBay. I have Sophia Electric which are smooth and musical. Also like KT77 by Genalex Gold Lion. New production out of Russia. Sound excellent also. I am finding thus far the el34’s affect tonality much more than the ecc82 tube roll does.

May 15, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,035 of 1,048
What is this about biasing? And is it relevant with this amp? See NOTHING about it in the manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back