Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 5, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #18,781 of 18,877
How is the Mojo2/Poly cheaper as a combo? Are you getting them as a package deal?

As stated above, the Poly will lose charge when it is disconnected about the same as anything else. You'll end up using the Poly at home streaming Qobuz and Tidal as you want lossless over WiFi. I usually leave the Mojo2/Poly plugged in on desktop mode when I'm home. I don't really ever disconnect them. I don't travel with it much though. I have other more portable solutions.
Agreed.
I just pulled my Mojo2/Poly to enjoy my music, but.... the Poly's battery was dead :rage:... It's a desktop always plugged in solution that you can use portable only sometimes.

May 5, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #18,782 of 18,877
The Poly battery is not impossible to replace.

I posted a guide about a month ago and a replacement battery from Amazon that works great.

Ideally, Chord would sell a replacement battery for the Poly with the connector that snaps into the logic board.

If you are careful and don’t separate the logic board from the base - you won’t dislodge the small optic line that allows the P status light to illuminate.

The battery only has some double sided tape holding it in place. The key is to save the original connector and not remove the optic line.

I’d be happy to re-post if anyone is interested.

May 6, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #18,783 of 18,877

I posted a guide about a month ago and a replacement battery from Amazon that works great.

Ideally, Chord would sell a replacement battery for the Poly with the connector that snaps into the logic board.

If you are careful and don’t separate the logic board from the base - you won’t dislodge the small optic line that allows the P status light to illuminate.

The battery only has some double sided tape holding it in place. The key is to save the original connector and not remove the optic line.

Please do.

May 6, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #18,784 of 18,877
This was post 18,659 from March 25, 2024.
I have some other posts before and after page 1253 on 3/25/24 that pertains to the battery.

———————

Be sure to get this specific battery (KBT) from Amazon, it has the correct battery management and voltage and works in the Poly.

I bought a 4 pack of this KBT battery for $36.99 and can confirm that my Poly is working since March 25.

I even upgraded my Mojo to a Mojo2.

A single KBT battery is $12.99. The batteries are available with Amazon Prime - free one day shipping.

The only issue is that the battery percentage never gets to 100 % after a full charge - it usually stops at 80 %.
I have a two hour commute and the Poly battery drops about 5-6 % per hour.

Amazon link.
KBT 3.7 V 2200mAh Li-Polymer Battery
https://a.co/d/1fEc6oz

IMG_8911.jpeg

My primary use is the SD card and Rigelian, which is $3.49 per year. Rigelian works great and has the ability to read the cover art using a filename that you can choose.

I use Hotspot Mode (no gateway) with a iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.4.1.
I can listen to music and use the iPhone browser at the same time.

1. Turn on Poly

2. Use GoFigure to enable Hotspot mode. (It takes 30-60 second for your 2.4 GHz network to become available).

3. Connect to Poly’s WiFi on iPhone.
iOS WiFi settings for internet browsing with Poly. SSID will be Poly-#########
a. Auto Join on
b. Auto Login off
c. Enable low data mode
d. Disable Private WiFi Address
e. Disable “Limit IP Address Tracking”
f. Configure IP - Manual
— IP address - 192.168.1.111
— Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
— Router (Gateway) - Leave Blank
g. Configure DNS Manual - 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
h. Configure Proxy - Off

4. Open Rigelian.

Once my commute is completed - I use GoFigure to disable HotSpot mode.

After disabling the Poly’s Hotspot you can also place the Poly into Airplane/Bluetooth mode to further save the battery.

I usually charge my MojoPoly when not in use - the Mojo2 will illuminate purple when it’s fully charged.

These are my Poly battery replacement notes - use at your own risk.

———————

Start - 25 March 2024

Cut old battery wire right at the base to save the connector and as much wire as possible. You will splice the old connector onto the new battery.

IMG_8278.jpeg

Take out SD card.

Poly has four screws on back - the Poly case slides up and out on a slight angle - the Bluetooth cover has a ridge on it, be careful not to damage.

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg

Poly - opened.

Do not remove the two screws that hold in the PCB board - the optic bar will fall out and it’s a PITA to get back in place.

IMG_8281.jpeg

Note the white battery connector - use a spudger tool to gently pry from board - it lifts up from the side opposite the wires. It will snap back in place.

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8282.jpeg

Splice the new battery into the old connector.

The original battery is held in place with double sided tape, you will be able to remove it and re-use the tape on your replacement battery.

Both the new and original battery will read between 3.7 V and 3.9 V on a multimeter. If the replacement battery is 4 V or higher, do not use.

I used tape instead of solder as I expect to do this again and there isn’t much of the original connector’s wire to spare.

To re-assemble - the optic bar lines up with the bottom hole on the Bluetooth window.

IMG_8285.jpeg

IMG_8286.jpeg

Carefully slide the Poly back into place - the back has a thread that lines up with case. Also ensure that the Bluetooth window’s ridge is lined up correctly.

Final working system - 3/25/24.

IMG_8289.jpeg

Fully charged Mojo2Poly - 5/6/2024.

IMG_8910.jpeg

Mojo2Poly in Desktop mode - 5/6/24.

IMG_8912.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #18,785 of 18,877

Is it possible to make a power switch mod on the Poly?

May 8, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #18,791 of 18,877
Easy. I separate the Poly and Mojo2 when I'm not using them. In my experience, Poly lasts longer than the Mojo.
@rwelles but since you can not turn Poly off it still drains its battery just without eating up Mojo/Mojo 2 internal battery; constant plugging/unplugging isn't great for connectors lifetime either I suppose.

May 8, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #18,792 of 18,877
@rwelles but since you can not turn Poly off it still drains its battery just without eating up Mojo/Mojo 2 internal battery; constant plugging/unplugging isn't great for connectors lifetime either I suppose.
Agreed 👍
I might just get something like CMA18p for portable use. And maybe keep the Mojo2/Poly for a backup desktop DAC.

May 8, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #18,793 of 18,877
Constantly plugging/unplugging is certainly not great, but the standard requirement for the number of cycles of physical connect and disconnec must meet a minimum of 10,000 cycles for micro USB, which certainly is valid for a product made in Great Britain and sold over the world. If we plug/unplug it 13 times a day, it will last two years. Otherwise it is wise to use a cable proposed several times in this thread, I think it's called "statik 360", where you could leave the connector in the poly and it connects/disconnects magnetically.
I cannot comment on battery life, cause my device is only 13 months old, but I'm daily charging/discharging it for 13 months approximately, six hours of daily playing time at the moment. What battery life for me not apply to everyone's battery.

May 8, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #18,795 of 18,877
Constantly plugging/unplugging is certainly not great, but the standard requirement for the number of cycles of physical connect and disconnec must meet a minimum of 10,000 cycles for micro USB, which certainly is valid for a product made in Great Britain and sold over the world. If we plug/unplug it 13 times a day, it will last two years. Otherwise it is wise to use a cable proposed several times in this thread, I think it's called "statik 360", where you could leave the connector in the poly and it connects/disconnects magnetically.
I cannot comment on battery life, cause my device is only 13 months old, but I'm daily charging/discharging it for 13 months approximately, six hours of daily playing time at the moment. What battery life for me not apply to everyone's battery.
@trickyRoadsDummyTOOL can't comment on Mojo 2 but on Mojo OG USB port got wobbly after sometime and I highly doubt it went through all 10k plug/unplug cycles. Just my 2 cents. This is probably part of the reason why I keep Poly connected to Mojo 2 most of the time, another is that at home I have Roon core and it Poly works flawlessly with Roon (the only Poly setup apart from playing from SD card that worked flawlessly out of the box for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back