Earbuds Round-Up
May 19, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #75,496 of 75,755
We have a first impression of the Moondrop paperclip earbud from a consumer: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moondrop-earbuds-returns.972829/page-2#post-18133492

Doesn't make for good reading though, if it is even more LowFI than the yincrow X6.

3.JPG
I'd add a caveat that the X6 is the best earbuds I still have around to compare against, been 6 months since I had the Serratus. I'd definitely take the X6 over the U-2 though, in general I'd summarise my first impressions of the U-2 as grainy, dark with some awkward higher frequency spikes. Outside of the paperclip design at least my set aren't very compelling.

May 20, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #75,497 of 75,755
I'd add a caveat that the X6 is the best earbuds I still have around to compare against, been 6 months since I had the Serratus. I'd definitely take the X6 over the U-2 though, in general I'd summarise my first impressions of the U-2 as grainy, dark with some awkward higher frequency spikes. Outside of the paperclip design at least my set aren't very compelling.

Thank you kind sir for taking one for the team to get this Moondrop U-2.

I think your impressions have helped a lot of us earbud enthusiasts!!!

May 20, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #75,499 of 75,755
It would be nice to see some real flagship efforts from established IEM brands. I appreciate earbuds are a much smaller market share for portable hi fi but you can achieve so much with a flathead when time and attention is put in. Our DIY community prove that over and over again.

X6 is very mediocre in my view. It's saving grace is it's better than average low range presence and extension and it's generally inoffensive tuning, but otherwise its midrange and treble is far from hi fi. Here's to hoping this initial impression is off the mark and Moondrop have actually utilised that massive development and manufacturing capability to produce something good for the money.

May 20, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #75,501 of 75,755
May 20, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #75,502 of 75,755
It would be nice to see some real flagship efforts from established IEM brands. I appreciate earbuds are a much smaller market share for portable hi fi but you can achieve so much with a flathead when time and attention is put in. Our DIY community prove that over and over again.

X6 is very mediocre in my view. It's saving grace is it's better than average low range presence and extension and it's generally inoffensive tuning, but otherwise its midrange and treble is far from hi fi. Here's to hoping this initial impression is off the mark and Moondrop have actually utilised that massive development and manufacturing capability to produce something good for the money.
I will be interested to see other impressions. I would say that the differing levels of fit seen between people in ear buds means that variances, especially in low and top end extension, seem to be far greater.
The X6 being a tried and true shape does have its advantages there. However I think the fit I get with the U-2 is decent, they either just don't mesh with my ear canal shape at all, I got a lemon, or they are just rather ordinary.

May 20, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #75,504 of 75,755
And use the same drivers, another better option is RY4S mmcx plus
I do have a Purple Vido, unsure if there were differences between the many variations out there or not. At least for the set I have, I prefer the X6, it sounds more open and separated for me.
Of course with the Vido tending to be available for next to nothing, the above benefits which likely aren't going to be universal are likely not worth it.

May 20, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #75,505 of 75,755
But it’s $12. On a price to performance level there isn’t a better deal in all of hi-fi.

Ofcourse! It's good value! What I was saying is that if the new Moondrop struggles to compete with that then it's not offering a great deal from a company that could probably do a lot more. Any way, this is me just ranting and is speculative. Could be a great little bud offering super value!

May 20, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #75,510 of 75,755
I get the consensus is to get the 32 plus, but that doesn't tell me about the differences. Someone on reddit /headphones reviewed the non plus and the plus and he likes the non plus better. Plus just has better bass but mids and highs are worse. So that seems to me the plus is for bass heads? https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/nv6f0h/ry4s_mmcx_review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back