First DAP
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mRaaghava

100+ Head-Fier
Presently i am using my phone S7 as source and E17K DAC to drive my headphone Sennheiser HD 598 SE. I am thinking to buy a DAP to enjoy my music better. As i am a beginner of sorts, which DAPs you will suggest me first? I am looking at Cayin N3, FiiO X3, Sony NWZ A35, FiiO X5, Opus 1, Plenue D, Cayin N5-II and Plenue R. Which one among these or any others can give me a solid upgrade over my phone's audio quality? I am planning to sell of E17K to buy any IEM that can do great with DAP. IEM suggestions are also welcome.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 9
I can only speak to the Plenue D and X3. Only buy the Plenue D if you need stupid good battery life. The X3 was completely underwhelming when I heard it. You have a wildly varying list of daps when it comes to price there, may want to narrow down a budget and others may be able to give a better recommendation.

Dec 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I can only speak to the Plenue D and X3. Only buy the Plenue D if you need stupid good battery life. The X3 was completely underwhelming when I heard it. You have a wildly varying list of daps when it comes to price there, may want to narrow down a budget and others may be able to give a better recommendation.
I am looking at $300-$550 range.

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I am looking at $300-$550 range.

Take a look at the official threads for the Fiio X5 3rd gen, Shanling M3s and Cayin N5 2nd gen. I'm looking in the same price range as you and these 3 seem to be the top choices currently in that range. Should be some comparisons in those threads to other daps as well.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Take a look at the official threads for the Fiio X5 3rd gen, Shanling M3s and Cayin N5 2nd gen. I'm looking in the same price range as you and these 3 seem to be the top choices currently in that range. Should be some comparisons in those threads to other daps as well.
Can you suggest me some great IEMs or portable headphones to be used along with these DAPs? Price range 200-250$.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Can you suggest me some great IEMs or portable headphones to be used along with these DAPs? Price range 200-250$.

Not a big IEM user. I really like the Oppo PM3 (can be had used around $275) and the Audeze Sine (on ear, some are being sold used for under $200 right now in the sale forum). The Sennheiser Momentum 2 is also pretty good, but I find it to be a step back from the other two I mentioned. You could probably find it new in your price range though.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Jan 1, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 9
For IEM, I recommend Simgot EN700 pro or One of the IEMs by Fiio. I think both provide an exceptional performance given the price. On the other hand, you might wanna check out some used IEMs originally priced about 500 bucks. I think a mid to high fi IEM can better utilize the advantage of a DAP, while you can get most out of the Fiio IEMs with your phone easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back