Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements
May 7, 2024 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137
Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements

The closed-back Focal Azurys and open-back Focal Hadenys bring Focal's flagship made-in-France engineering to a more affordable, more compact platform. We take a close look at the Azurys and Hadenys, including measurements and MDAQS.

Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements - Produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

These measurements in this video were made using:

May 7, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 137
Totally unnecessary and 0 innovation from Focal.
Im a fan of the brand, but no ones needs those models when you already have plenty of wired open&close backs in the brand.

I partially agree. The Azurys passive characteristics could have (and should have) been integrated in the Bathys. And the price for the Azurys being so close to the Celestee doesn't improve things ... At that small difference I'd skip the Azurys and settle for the Celestee. As an example T+A absolutely did the right thing here with their fantastic Solitaire T ... They absolutely shine both in wireless and wired modes ...

As entry level open back however the Hadenys make more sense as they are positioned at a level where the no longer available Elear/Elex could be found ...

May 7, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 137
Totally unnecessary and 0 innovation from Focal.
Im a fan of the brand, but no ones needs those models when you already have plenty of wired open&close backs in the brand.
The pricing is a big deal for a lot of people. While $600 and $1000 headphones is "normal" on head-fi, it is not for the common person. For a lot of people the difference $150 between $549 and $699 is a lot of money when it comes to headphones. Quite a few might be stretching their headphone budget at $549.

May 7, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 137
I partially agree. The Azurys passive characteristics could have (and should have) been integrated in the Bathys. And the price for the Azurys being so close to the Celestee doesn't improve things ... At that small difference I'd skip the Azurys and settle for the Celestee. As an example T+A absolutely did the right thing here with their fantastic Solitaire T ... They absolutely shine both in wireless and wired modes ...

As entry level open back however the Hadenys make more sense as they are positioned at a level where the no longer available Elear/Elex could be found ...
Totally. The Bathys could have integrated the passive mode.
About the Hadenys, I just can't see the appeal when you can get a Clear/Elear/Elex for a very good price nowadays.
Yes, the Hadenys has a bass boost, but that's because it has more damping inside, which gives you more bass but has some tradeoffs, specially in dynamics.

I would have loved an entry level open back with a totally new design.

May 7, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 137
The pricing is a big deal for a lot of people. While $600 and $1000 headphones is "normal" on head-fi, it is not for the common person. For a lot of people the difference $150 between $549 and $699 is a lot of money when it comes to headphones. Quite a few might be stretching their headphone budget at $549.
The price is totally fine. But you still can get a brand new Elex for that price. And also a 2nd hand Clear.

May 7, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 137
Interesting, too bad Bathys had the most uncomfortable headband I've ever used on a headphone. Could not tolerate the hotspot on the top of my head from that thin thing.

Also don't think the portable-leaning build of the bathys suits a proper passive headphone priced at $549 and $699. Too much plastic.

Eh on this release, not for me. Would take an Elex any day of the week, especially with Resolve's recent review saying that these don't have as much classic Focal dynamics, punch and slam as the other passive/wired full size headphones.

Cable also looks like crap, not a fan of single sided entry (RIP to those with balanced sources) at the price point.

Big MEH

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 137
The price is totally fine. But you still can get a brand new Elex for that price. And also a 2nd hand Clear.
Depends on where you live. Focal clears are rare on the used market in my country and the few that are available have asking price that is too high IMO. Buying from abroad adds around 30-35% in shipping, VAT and custom fees on top of sales price for me. E.g. if I buy a used clear for €700 from abroad then it is somewhere around €950 when delivered. Elex are not shipped to my country so I had to get an Elear and buy Elex pads.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 137
Cable also looks like crap, not a fan of single sided entry (RIP to those with balanced sources) at the price point.

Big MEH
Also there T+A did a genius design job with the Solitaire T. Single-sided entry design, yet fully balanced …

May 7, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 137
I think it's easy for people like us with high end open backs to see this as a bit useless, but looking at the pricing I think this could become a very competitive option for someone upgrading from the HD6XX.

In a way Focal are coming for the Meze 109 here. Resolve is saying he finds them open pair as enjoyable as the Clears, for different reasons, which could make these very good value at $700/£599. I know used Clears are around that price, but plenty want to buy new, and there a Clear is another price category.

As for the closed back, they are a little close to Celestee for comfort in price. But they are also portable and can be worn out and about, so fit a different use case.

I think it's intruiging Focal is filling out the lower ranks a bit with some passives, and overall very positive for the hobby, as previously they've really paid attention only at the high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back