Forum conduct I’ve noticed lately…
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
Having been a member of Head-fi for six years, I just wanted to discuss a growing trend I’ve noticed recently. It seems that more and more members get offended or defensive when people post negative or critical opinions about earphones they hold in high regard. It’s becoming downright cliquey. Whenever someone new jumps into a thread that has been developing with high praise and smitten comments with an opinion that is counter to the majority, the regulars inevitably take it personally and proceed to engage in attacking the new poster. Insults are thrown, the poster’s taste gets insulted, or worse, and it is not productive to open discussion or debate. It is astounding that these members get so worked up over counter opinions.

I am a regular poster in one of those long threads about an earphone that has mostly praise. A few posters in that thread make negative comments from time to time, and I don’t feel the need to attack those individuals with insults and offensive language. To me it’s no big deal if someone doesn’t like a model I have a huge appreciation for. Even if they want to use crude terminology like: ‘I think this earphone is a piece of rubbish’, or ‘to me this hunk of junk sounds no better than stock apple buds’. While I’ll admit terminology like this is not the most helpful for other people who might be considering the model, it still does not warrant offensive name-calling, or insulting their taste. There is a basic difference here between being critical of a product, and insulting a person.

I find nothing in the rules/terms of use that says someone can’t post negative impressions of an earphone or headphone.

So what does everyone think of this type of behavior? Isn’t it okay for a member to have a different view to someone else, and express it in their own words without others attacking, insulting, and trapping them, often enlisting the 'help' of the same people to gang up on the member? I know for a fact that one of the members (a new member no less- what a welcome to Head-fi) was very stressed and upset with the assaults.

Anyway, I'll leave this open to discussion, since I'm genuinely interested in what other members think about this.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 106
Ha ha ha, so that gets truly ugly I take it??

My hope is that the discussion here will take place in a civil manner. I've observed two distinct ways of seeing this issue, and I just would like a little resolution so that there's less room for the bickering that takes place. I'm also hoping that maybe this thread moves any of the arguing out of the equipment specific threads so they can stay on topic better.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 106
Jude puleeze, you know its Canon
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 106
I'm afraid that ignoring the offending parties when they become unbearable is the best and only solution to the problem. Telling someone they are on the ignore list and that you will never see a post from them or read a private message usually works when trying to get them off your case. Trying to reason is futile at best as lots of people go to forums merely to argue. I love a heated debate but when it becomes a session of swapping insults it becomes boring quickly. Be the bigger person and the people you want to interact with will support you.
smile.gif

Fuji cameras are obviously the best, anyone who knows anything knows that.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 106
I find this forum clique full stop at times.
wink.gif

But it also has it's fair share of good open minded people that can take criticism constructive or otherwise, i have heard people say allsorts about sleeks yet i still love them, sure they're not 100% perfect but they do exactly what i want, it's all about what the individual wants afterall all other opinions are just that and though should be taken into consideration in the whole grand scheme of things they count for little if not nothing.

I feel half the problem is the young age group, filled with raging hormones and opinions, when you get older you learn to be much more restrained.

Although there always people that buck the trend.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've apparently never been to a camera forum and asked if Nikon or Canon is better.
wink.gif

Coming from you who has moved to the dark side!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 106
It is not just confined to headphone choice, it is as far reaching as personal conduct of people outside the forum?

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not just confined to headphone choice, it is as far reaching as personal conduct of people outside the forum?

Very good point. When it comes to products (headphones, or otherwise) that people have a strong passion about it becomes subjective. And I suppose this draws out innate personality traits, which shows how individuals probably react to everyday situations.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 106
The best camera brand in the world is Apple...wait...they don't make cameras... Well, they'd be the best if they did.

I think how opinions are raised matters. We should be clear and polite and humble. Visitors are unlikely to benefit from minority opinions asserted with vigour, etc. But it's in the rules, so... Meh.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 106
The terms of use for reference (nowhere does it state that you have be polite about products- it's referring to conduct with people):

__________________________________________________ ________

Be polite. We encourage debating -- even heated debating -- in the forums, but avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums.

defamatory: see defame below.

defame: 1. disgrace; 2. to harm the reputation of by libel or slander.

libel: a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt.

slander: the utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage another's reputation.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've apparently never been to a camera forum and asked if Nikon or Canon is better.
wink.gif

Canon of course...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back