HIFIMAN New Desktop DAC/Amps: EF500 and EF499!
Jun 2, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #151 of 154
I think you're thinking digital volume knob vs analogue volume knob.

And yes digital volume knob would generally have perfect matching volume between left and right channel at any volume.

While most analogue volume knob would have imbalance at really low levels.

Though feel wise I still like analogue volume knob better also it's a bit more predictable, since all the way left is off all the way right is max, so you can roughly know how much to turn to get to the exact volume you want.
There is something satisfying about the smooth turning sensation of the EF500's volume wheel, but I don't like the channel imbalance. It also doesn't help that the EF500 lacks a digital screen to let me know where I am numerically, in terms of the volume level. For now, I've basically set it to the minimum required position (approximately 8 o'clock) to equalize the channel imbalance, and I'm controlling the volume with my source (phone), which is not ideal.

By contrast, I find the Topping L70's R2R relay volume wheel to be more practical and user friendly, because there's no channel imbalance, and it can be adjusted via 0.5 increments, and so every time it clicks, it raises the volume by 0.5 on the digital screen. It also comes with a remote. Here's a review of it

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-l70-headphone-amp-review.39767/
Nice features like R2R relay control solves the problem of analog volume controls causing channel mismatch, giving you a perfect experience even with sensitive IEMs/headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #152 of 154
Disclaimer: I was not paid to say anything good or bad all thoughts are my own honest opinions.

Review of the HIFIMAN ef499
June 1st 2024
Small size mighty sound
Why would you be considering this unit?
Well if you need a powerful amp and are interested in getting into the world of r2r DACs this is a great introduction without breaking the bank. At 299$ USD this is a great starting point.
Now that I've got that out of the way onto my impressions and thoughts.

Build quality.
The ef499 is built like a tank. It's pretty heavy for how small it is. Fit and finish is very well done. Every part looks and feels well made. I don't find any rough edges or sharp corners. The unit is very well put together.

Sound quality.
Bass response:

Bass is very tactile and deep. It reaches well into sub-bass. The impact is meaty and thick but not muddy or bloated.
Mids:
Mids are very lush but not muddy or anything either. They are very full and textured with some rounded edges.
Treble:
Treble is very accurate and refined, possibly a tad bright but don't take this wrong it's not sibilant or fatiguing. It's very well done and extended nicely.
Now let's get into my listening notes..

Breathe by “little sound”
The track starts off with floating vocals and rolling baselines. The ef499 brings out her texture and ethereal quality of her vocals. The sub bass kicks in and you feel the rumble. The ef499 shows control and emotion throughout the whole track.

Levitate by “Sony Foldera & Martin Hørger"
The 4 on the floor rhythms of this track go deep into your bones. You can't help but tap your feet and bob your head.

Rusty Cage by “Sound Garden”
The song starts out panning the guitar riff left to right and you can really hear the positioning and image separation here. The ef499 has no trouble with this song. Chris Cornell’s vocals shine throughout the gritty tambor is amazing.

Last but not least.
Angel by “Massive attack”
This track is a staple in my test tracks and one of my favorite tracks period.
It starts off with the deep visceral sub bass thump. Andy's voice comes in and cuts through like a knife. This song is absolutely sublime on the ef499.

In conclusion:
Who is this unit for?
I'm going to start by saying this unit is for people who love musicality and natural sound with all the character and nuances. This is a unit that will bring out musicality regardless of the headphones or genre.
In addition this unit is able to keep up with very fast very complex passages all without losing musicality and tactility. ( Example: Angel Vivaldi.)
Who is it not for?
People who want clean analytical sound. If you are looking for a unit to use for critical listening and analyzing gaps between different headphones and other type of reference measurements. The ef499 is not for that, or about reducing THD , Sinad and other measurements.

Gear used
SJY starry night v2
Meze Liric
Kennerton gjallorhorn gh50

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #154 of 154
It also doesn't help that the EF500 lacks a digital screen to let me know where I am numerically, in terms of the volume level.

I think it's because it's analogue volume potentiometer.

So all the way left is always zero and all the way right is always 100%, you can kind of estimate where you are depending on how far you've turned.

For now, I've basically set it to the minimum required position (approximately 8 o'clock) to equalize the channel imbalance, and I'm controlling the volume with my source (phone), which is not ideal.

But yeah........ unfortunately the low level volume imbalance is a common issue on analogue volume pot.

By contrast, I find the Topping L70's R2R relay volume wheel to be more practical and user friendly, because there's no channel imbalance, and it can be adjusted via 0.5 increments, and so every time it clicks, it raises the volume by 0.5 on the digital screen. It also comes with a remote.

To be honest, I still prefer the usage and feel of analogue pot. I prefer this because you'll always know exactly where you are and also can get there fast.

Like you can just turn half way and boom 50% volume instantly, instead of turning digital knob 2-3 full circles and still not finding the correct volume.

Digital volume wheel is really controlling +1 or -1 (or +0.5 or -0.5) in a wheel form. It could technically be just buttons, but I guess wheels feel more satisfying. But I find it often quite inaccurate.

For example in the case of Burson Audio, it often not stop at where I want. If I stop at 20 db then it would actually stop at either 19 or 21, drove me crazy.

Again, I think it's different pros/cons also depending on people's preference. I could see why someone might prefer either one. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back