Hope this help you to explain Hi-Res music to your CD friends
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #451 of 517
Regardless of which unit you used, your answer was still WRONG, neither -30 dB SPL nor your same answer expressed in micro-pascals can actually exist and despite explaining this to you at least twice, you refuse to learn, you just keep repeating the same INCORRECT answer.

G
Sorry about my laziness to try and find your explanation (for all the AI stuff and what not), but why wouldn't -30 dB SPL and 0.63... micropascals exist? Am I losing my mind?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #453 of 517
I haven't used Amazon US for many many years because the shipping costs to Europe are ridiculous. I have zero experience on these "on demand discs."

For example F. R. David - Reflections. All I see is used from $50 (+shipping $60!! :jecklinsmile: ) and new from $79.

It's a few years since I bought one, maybe they've stopped doing them? Years ago I was buying CD's from their market place sellers and got them for the same price shipped, after a while they stopped me buying them as postage probably cost more than I was paying for the cd.

May 9, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #454 of 517
It's a few years since I bought one, maybe they've stopped doing them? Years ago I was buying CD's from their market place sellers and got them for the same price shipped, after a while they stopped me buying them as postage probably cost more than I was paying for the cd.
I have started using Discogs (European sellers). Some of these sellers there have reasonable shipping costs, especially if they offer many CDs at the same shipping costs. Also, I try to use domestic (Finnish) sites, but of course Finland is a small market and my music taste is not typical to Finns so it is not easy to find stuff that interests me, but sometimes I do. Domestic shipping can be nicely affordable and the stuff arrives faster.

May 9, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #455 of 517
I have started using Discogs (European sellers). Some of these sellers there have reasonable shipping costs, especially if they offer many CDs at the same shipping costs. Also, I try to use domestic (Finnish) sites, but of course Finland is a small market and my music taste is not typical to Finns so it is not easy to find stuff that interests me, but sometimes I do. Domestic shipping can be nicely affordable and the stuff arrives faster.

Discogs is a great place and I had an account for ages until they added tax on sales so out of principal I deleted my account, oh well.

You have some great bands - Nightwish, Insomnium, Finntroll, Amorphis, Oranssi Pazuzu,Skepticism, guess they're not your cup of tea.

May 9, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #456 of 517
Sorry about my laziness to try and find your explanation (for all the AI stuff and what not), but why wouldn't -30 dB SPL and 0.63... micropascals exist? Am I losing my mind?
You would lose your mind if you believe 1.000 != 1.001

Your mind would be "normal" again once your believe 1.000 = 1.001

More details here <== our discussion earlier

May 9, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #457 of 517
You would lose your mind if you believe 1.000 != 1.001

Your mind would be "normal" again once your believe 1.000 = 1.001

More details here <== our discussion earlier
I think that is the answer @gregorio provided. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

May 9, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #458 of 517
I see it differently.

IMO,

A biased question would give a biased response.
A unbiased question would give a unbiased response.

Let's look at the following two questions for ChatGPT 3.5

From my analysis, the first sentence is attempting to do something else...

Are the two questions above equivalent?

Answer A: Yes, it means "only peer reviewed and evidence based sources will be used" because it is by definition doing what we asked it to do

Answer B: No, they are different. It is because I want to have ChatGPT to avoid using any peer reviewed and evidence based information contain in any marketing materials

Answer C: No, they are different because I want to have ChatGTP to avoid using any marketing materials no matter it contains peer reviewed and evidence based information.

Is my analysis correct? Did I miss anything here?

BTW, my answer is A for the above question.

You either didn’t read my response or didn’t understand it. I tried having a rational conversation with you, but clearly, that isn’t possible, so I won’t continue to try,

May 9, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #459 of 517
Just out of curiousity, are you a native English speaker?

Just out of curiosity, is your only response, deflection?

G
Hmm... I am thinking if you are providing your answer in a "question format" as you replied in a "parallel" style.

If that is the case, then it would mean:

For your question "is your only response, deflection?" The answer is No.

So, for my question, "are you a native English speaker?", your answer is No too. i.e. you are not a native English speaker. Correct? :thinking:

May 9, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #460 of 517
I think that is the answer @gregorio provided. (Please correct me if I am wrong)
Thanks! I am surprised to read Brownian motion = 1.4 micropascals. I'll look into that for "fact checking" and self-education. I would have guessed it is several orders of magnitude lower pressure! If this is true then -30 dB SPL kind of is impossible given the situation.

In a narrow bandwidth the Brownian motion is much lower than 1.4 micropascals and we can have -30 dB SPL in that narrow bandwidth.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #461 of 517
I believe that different digital filter setting in the Topping E30 would only change the behaviour of the box circled in red below. Do you agree?

If you agree, then F-5 (aka "NOS mode") would have the same "extensive and expensive and inaccurate analog filtering of images, quantization noise from transition band, etc. with I/V output transformers, tubes, coupling capacitors, etc." that is applied for other filters (like F-1) before the signal is sent to final RCA ports. The stair-step chart was obtained from the signal out from the RCA ports.

Did I miss anything here?

(Note: Topping E30 is using AKM 4493 chip. The following is obtained from the datasheet of AKM4493)
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.31.03 PM.png

Yes. The stairsteps you provided from the F-5 filter a literally measured from the RCA outs of the Topping. You didn't miss anything. The reconstructed analog signal is outputted from the sigma-delta modulator as a stairsteps in the time domain if you use the F5 filter

May 9, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #462 of 517
I looked into the Brownian motion noise and found the equation used by L.J.Sivian, S.D.White (1933) & G.G.Harris (1968). Calculating the Sound Pressure Level on bandwidth 20-20000 Hz I got 32 𝜇Pa (4 dB SPL). Calculating the noise level on the most sensitive band of human hearing (1000-6000 Hz) gives 5.2 𝜇Pa (-12 dB SPL).

This is eye opening for me, because I never though Brownian motion would be this close to human hearing threshold. In fact animals with more sensitive hearing than humans are close to hearing Brownian motion of air!! That's wild!

May 9, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #463 of 517
Discogs is a great place and I had an account for ages until they added tax on sales so out of principal I deleted my account, oh well.
I haven't seen any added taxes, but maybe it is different for me because I buy from European sellers (inside EU tax region).

You have some great bands - Nightwish, Insomnium, Finntroll, Amorphis, Oranssi Pazuzu, Skepticism, guess they're not your cup of tea.
Yeah, Finnish metal scene is considered great (most metal bands per capita by far), but I am not into that kind of music myself.

May 9, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #464 of 517

You have some great bands - Nightwish, Insomnium, Finntroll, Amorphis, Oranssi Pazuzu,Skepticism, guess they're not your cup of tea.

And Apocalyptica. 4 cellists playing Metallica sounds odd but somehow, it really works.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #465 of 517
I haven't seen any added taxes, but maybe it is different for me because I buy from European sellers (inside EU tax region).

Yeah, Finnish metal scene is considered great (most metal bands per capita by far), but I am not into that kind of music myself.

Then you've got many great Swedish and Norwegian bands next door, It's niche music and has a relatively small following so I'm not surprised.

And Apocalyptica. 4 cellists playing Metallica sounds odd but somehow, it really works.

They did a song with Amon Amarth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back