IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #616 of 3,340
Imagine the R3 Phase could be a push/pull configuration, as Bob has designed one previously for his old employer who shall not be named. :wink:

That would fit with the description. Basically the drivers face each other in the driver enclosure with one wired in reverse phase, so when driver A pushes outwards, driver B opposite will pull inwards. I believe the term isobaric is also used for some of these types of designs (not all) - the Audio Techica CK9 and CK10 had a similar config.

In an Isobaric configuration you potentially get lower distortion, its possible to get better bass extension and transient response also. Something to do with reducing the non-linearities of a single driver by running a second alongside, so any "errors" or distortion artifacts are cancelled out.

Will be interesting with two large 15mm drivers - this sort of setup is typically seen in subwoofers for home hifi.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #618 of 3,340
In Rah related news, finding it difficult to move away from the black base/blue tip combo. Once you adjust to the bass, it gives a sense of physicality and warmth that I miss when going back to other IEMs. Starting to get more hours on the drivers now, and clarity send to be improving - most likely brain burn as I adjust to the signature, but I find the wide bore Acoustune tips help in this regard as well.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #619 of 3,340
I believe the term isobaric is also used for some of these types of designs (not all)
Quite. There is in fact a current example of non-push/pull twin drivers in an isobaric chamber, and that is the Spirit Torino Twin Pulse line of full-size headphones, which I had the opportunity to try extensively, very impressive!

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #620 of 3,340
Just received mine and tested some filter combinations, sorry to ruin the hype, but to me the Rah is (very) sibilant, more than the Aten (and I own a pair MDR EX1000 with which I'm totally fine), also for reference I found the Zenith not sibilant. I'm not liking the Rah so much for now (and I don't expect any burn miracles)...YMMV

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #621 of 3,340
Just received mine and tested some filter combinations, sorry to ruin the hype, but to me the Rah is (very) sibilant, more than the Aten (and I own a pair MDR EX1000 with which I'm totally fine), also for reference I found the Zenith not sibilant. I'm not liking the Rah so much for now (and I don't expect any burn miracles)...YMMV
Sibilant?? Something is wrong :/
could you kindly list your player, nozzles used, tips etc etc - Is your cable the right way round

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #622 of 3,340

I very much doubt you will kill the hype but I am surprised to hear you say they are sibilant and the Zenith not. My sets are the other way around and haven’t heard a hint of sibilance so far with out of the box black black.

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #623 of 3,340
I echo that - mine aren't sibilant AT ALL. Will be interesting to hear what setup you are using - not discounting what you are heading, but it definitely sounds different to how I'm hearing the Rah. Fingers crossed for you there isn't an issue!

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #624 of 3,340
Remember, using smaller nozzle tips can ease highs. Though it may make the bass higher.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #625 of 3,340
Looks like mine hasn't even left the UK yet - waiting for two weeks for a delivery within the EU is mildly frustrating. If it wont arrive by Saturday I'll be gone and can't pick it up, so it's likely to get sent back :confounded:

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #627 of 3,340
The joys of Royal Mail deliveries - they should also run the National Lottery here, the way some international postage gets dealt with. :wink:

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #630 of 3,340
Looks like mine hasn't even left the UK yet - waiting for two weeks for a delivery within the EU is mildly frustrating. If it wont arrive by Saturday I'll be gone and can't pick it up, so it's likely to get sent back :confounded:
Damn. Mine were delivered to me in Paris yesterday. Fingers crossed for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back