Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63
Return to our simpler MTouch portable players, designed for users demanding the best sound quality, without all the complexities and issues of Android systems.

04.jpg

M5 Ultra is the first player to reveal our new body design, abandoning smooth round lines for more aggressive angular shapes and edges. Its construction follows our high standards, with a machined aluminium frame and glass panels, a bright 4.7-inch HD touchscreen, a trio of hardware buttons for playback control and our classic volume wheel, now with extra illumination.

Running on Ingenic X2000 platform, featuring our latest generation of MTouch system. With a customizable main menu providing quick access to all the files stored on MicroSD card, alongside the built-in Tidal Online Streaming app (To be added with firmware update). And offering a wide range of other playback modes, including USB DAC, DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth Receiver, now updated with a new wireless module for Bluetooth 5.2 support.

Audio section combines our experience with H7 and M9 Plus. From H7 taking over the balanced amplifier built around Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 and the flagship AKM AK4499EX DAC and AK4191 modulator, but adding the improved I/V conversion stage from M9 Plus. Resulting in our favourite smooth and slightly warmed up sound, that reaches deep into sub-bass, envelops you in a rich soundstage and provides plentiful detail. And thanks to its beefed-up amplifier, providing up to 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm, M5 Ultra becomes one of our most powerful portable players, right alongside the flagship M9 Plus.

Shanling M5 Ultra will retail at 589 USD
Shipping to our international distributors starts at the beginning of April.

01.jpg

Specification
Dimensions: 120 x 75 x 19.5 mm
Weight: 247 g
DAC: AKM AK4499EX + AK4191
Amplifier: Dual TPA6120A
Platform: Ingenic X2000
System: MTouch developed by Shanling
Screen: 4.7-inch 1280 x 720 Touchscreen
Memory: MicroSD card slot
Hi-Res Support: PCM 32 bit / 768 kHz & DSD512
USB Input: XMOS XU316
Wi-Fi: 2.4/5G, supporting DLNA, Airplay, NAS and OTA Updates
Bluetooth: Upgraded 5.2 with Bi-Directional support of LDAC, aptX HD, aptX, AAC
Companion app: Eddict Player app through SyncLink
Connectors: 3.5mm Single-Ended, 4.4mm Balanced, USB-C
Battery: 6000 mAh
Battery life: Up to 11 hours

Single-Ended Output:
Power: 315 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0009%
Channel Separation: 75 dB
SNR: 121 dB
Output impedance: 4.7 Ohm

Balanced Output:
Power: 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm
THD+N: 0.0007%
Channel Separation: 110 dB
SNR: 124 dB
Output impedance: 6.6 Ohm

resize_06.jpg

Last edited:
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 63
Return to our simpler MTouch portable players, designed for users demanding the best sound quality, without all the complexities and issues of Android systems.

04.jpg

M5 Ultra is the first player to reveal our new body design, abandoning smooth round lines for more aggressive angular shapes and edges. Its construction follows our high standards, with a machined aluminium frame and glass panels, a bright 4.7-inch HD touchscreen, a trio of hardware buttons for playback control and our classic volume wheel, now with extra illumination.

Running on Ingenic X2000 platform, featuring our latest generation of MTouch system. With a customizable main menu providing quick access to all the files stored on MicroSD card, alongside the built-in Tidal Online Streaming app. And offering a wide range of other playback modes, including USB DAC, DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth Receiver, now updated with a new wireless module for Bluetooth 5.2 support.

Audio section combines our experience with H7 and M9 Plus. From H7 taking over the balanced amplifier built around Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 and the flagship AKM AK4499EX DAC and AK4191 modulator, but adding the improved I/V conversion stage from M9 Plus. Resulting in our favourite smooth and slightly warmed up sound, that reaches deep into sub-bass, envelops you in a rich soundstage and provides plentiful detail. And thanks to its beefed-up amplifier, providing up to 1100 mW @ 32 Ohm, M5 Ultra becomes one of our most powerful portable players, right alongside the flagship M9 Plus.

01.jpg

Specification

Single-Ended Output:

Balanced Output:

resize_06.jpg
Unexpected and interesting.

Is the latency still very noticeable (like up to a second or more) with AAC? I planned to use some DAPs as bluetooth receiver but always faced this problem.

Would the high output impedance cause problems with normal IEMs (15ohm-ish)?

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 63
Unexpected and interesting.

Is the latency still very noticeable (like up to a second or more) with AAC? I planned to use some DAPs as bluetooth receiver but always faced this problem.

Would the high output impedance cause problems with normal IEMs (15ohm-ish)?

The latency will be present. If you want low latency Bluetooth, you need to look either to dedicated Bluetooth receivers or devices with low-latency codecs.

For IEMs matching, it depends on their impedance curve, simply low impedance isn't an issue by its own.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 63
The new buzzword: Ultra...I like it. :darthsmile:

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 63

04.jpg

Running on Ingenic X2000 platform, featuring our latest generation of MTouch system. With a customizable main menu providing quick access to all the files stored on MicroSD card, alongside the built-in Tidal Online Streaming app (To be added with firmware update). And offering a wide range of other playback modes, including USB DAC, DLNA, Airplay and Bluetooth Receiver, now updated with a new wireless module for Bluetooth 5.2 support.

01.jpg

Specification

Single-Ended Output:

Balanced Output:

resize_06.jpg
Edges look like they could do some damage.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 63
without all the complexities and issues of Android systems.

Great idea for those of us not obsessed with apps.

I like it.

our new body design, abandoning smooth round lines for more aggressive angular shapes and edges.​

A pocket device that you've deliberately designed to have aggressive angular shapes and edges?

1) Your product design team convened a meeting and you all decided that the best way forward for a new pocket device would be to design it to be as uncomfortable as possible for users to carry in their pocket and as vulnerable to edge damage as possible? Wow...

2) To my mind, it screams A&K wannabe. Sorry, but it just does.

Output impedance: 4.7 Ohm​

I hope this doesn't cause problems with the FR of low impedance IEMs/CIEMs.

For IEMs matching, it depends on their impedance curve, simply low impedance isn't an issue by its own.

Unfortunately, I don't share your optimism because I'd hate to buy a player only to find out months later that it doesn't synergise well with a pair of CIEMs I might want to buy in the future.

I'm not willing to restrict future CIEM buying decisions just because my player doesn't handle their impedance curve, due to having a high output impedance.

I feel this would be a deal-breaker for me, which is a shame, as I like the simplicity of the player.

Seems like a premium, yet accessible price point. Were it not for the output impedance, this player would be on my shortlist.

Anyway, I wish you well with the product. Nice to see a decent DAP without Android.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 63
How long until the firmware update which allows Tidal streaming?

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 63

I like it.

A pocket device that you've deliberately designed to have aggressive angular shapes and edges?

1) Your product design team convened a meeting and you all decided that the best way forward for a new pocket device would be to design it to be as uncomfortable as possible for users to carry in their pocket and as vulnerable to edge damage as possible? Wow...

Unfortunately, I don't share your optimism because I'd hate to buy a player only to find out months later that it doesn't synergise well with a pair of CIEMs I might want to buy in the future.

I'm not willing to restrict future CIEM buying decisions just because my player doesn't handle their impedance curve, due to having a high output impedance.

I feel this would be a deal-breaker for me, which is a shame, as I like the simplicity of the player.

Seems like a premium, yet accessible price point. Were it not for the output impedance, this player would be on my shortlist.

Anyway, I wish you well with the product. Nice to see a decent DAP without Android.

Sounds like it isn’t for you then.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 63
EQ capabilities? I assume none… or is there some through MTouch and for which input source: microSD? USB? Bluetooth? DLNA? Airplay?

Standard EQ system built into our MTouch system. Applicable for all playback modes. No applicable for Hi-Res music.

Mtouch+x2000 = 20k track limit?

Currently still yes, but our software team was working on adjusting it.

The new buzzword: Ultra...I like it. :darthsmile:

We have been using it since 2022, simply mark for the generations of our devices now.

How long until the firmware update which allows Tidal streaming?

Tidal is running on M1s, so all the hard work is done on it. Now it's just about fully adjusting UI for the new screen, so should be fairly fast.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 63

I like it.

I also don't understand sharp corners design decisions.

I would prefer Android. I fail to see how some in-house made system could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back