LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Mar 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #378 of 1,054
Can anybody recommend the best tube in B7 to give increased bass weight to HD800?

On audio circle there is very good thread on tube rolling.
But I can give you a quick synopsis
300B ps vane are very good for this.
Other brands as well. Eml 45 are a good place to start but as you want more weight go witha 300B eml is also very good.
Eml and ps vane are both good brands.
The switch in the reward goes down for these tubes. Up for 45
Post your thoughts when you try them
Al

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #384 of 1,054
  Question on the DAC chips used.

I see the Amber use a ESS chip - which one?

What chip does the L4, L5 use?

Amber = ES9023
L4/5 = that no one knows, marks on chips are removed in those models if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #387 of 1,054
Hey thanks gregdee...  

I see he didn't get a chance to do a direct side by side with the L5 and the Big 7.  That's all good though.  I'm not interested in DSD at all, so it will be all PCM for me.  The fact the DirectStream converts all data to DSD is interesting.  So comparing PCM of the DirectStream to the L5 (non-DSD) is more of what I'm looking for.  

"The PS Audio Direct Stream is a great DAC. Please don't allow my comments to lead you to think I don't like it. I do. I own and enjoy it too. It was a great buy at the introduced price of $6000. But now it's an incredible deal at $3500 new through dealers on the Internet. As good as it is don't be fooled into thinking its a Lampi beater. A friend commented, "The DS sounds like a great DAC. But the Lampi Big 7 sounds like music!" (And I could easily claim the same for any Lampi DAC I've heard including the Amber. Lukasz Lampizator just gets music right.) And really that's about the best way to put it. The Big 7 with its huge pair of EML 45s sticking from the top is certainly not inexpensive at about $9500 but when compared price wise to top DACs from MBL and DCS it is at least 1/3 of the price. Now I don't own either the MBL or DCS, but I have friends whose ears I trust who do/did own these DACs and claim the Big 7 easily is their rival. 

What do I think of the Big 7 and how it compares to DACs I have owned? Let's compare the Big 7 to my Level 5. 
I didn't really think the L5 could be bested. It was the best DAC I've owned. The bass of the L5 was always rock solid, got the beat of the music correct, and never lacked detail. The Big 7 is just better in every way, clarity, rock steady, bass only there when needed, and then look out for thunder. The midrange of the two DACs was very similar. The patented Lampizator sound: open, clear, fast, the Big7 did everything the L5 does but just better. An audiophile owning a Level 4 or 5 could easily believe that the midrange could not be beaten. The DS certainly can't. It didn't  take me long to realize that the Big 7 takes the midrange up another notch or 2, 3, 4 . . .  You get the picture. The L5 and the treble? The treble of the Big 7 possesses a clarity that might be compared to the L5 like this. The L5 was like looking through slightly tinted glass while the Big 7 is like looking out the window with no glass at all on a clear day. Not in the polluted air of China though. The result? Cymbals that shimmer with just the right amount of sparkle and decay. Voices even when grouped resonate in their own separate space."

I guess this is him comparing the L5 to the DS in a round about way..

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #388 of 1,054
  Ok thanks.  

Have anyone compared the L5 vs. the PS Audio DirectStream?  Not talking about the Big 7 or Level 7 only the L5..  

Actually there was a comparison of the PS Audio DirectStream and the Lampizator Level 5 in PCM mode at a local Head-Fi meet up at SFO.  The consensus was the Lampizator Level 5 was much better.  No DSD comparisons there I'm afraid.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #389 of 1,054
Yoga-The Wells Audio Headtrip s a TOTL speaker amps of sorts. t puts out 50 watts nto 8 ohms and will drive real world speakers. We have actually driven full range speakers from the outputs with a pair of speaker cables terminated with XLRs. The experience musically rivalled about any integrated I have personally experienced. BTW, the new Enigma was revealed at the Socal Can Jam show this weekend and was a great success. Same power output but at $3699.00.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #390 of 1,054
Piper - Jeff Wells obviously seems to think that Lampi's and any Wells' amp go very well together, it's his preferred DAC set up as I understand it. Interested to hear about the Enigma - what is the difference between that and Headtrip - same power but just over half the price??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back