LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
May 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #406 of 1,054

Hi there. Thanks for your kind words. Yes, indeed I have the DSD (128) module.

But are you using it? I'm asking because I upsample every material I have to DSD via Foobar. DSD engine in all 7 family sounds much better than PCM one, and IMO that's the key to get the best out of those DAC-s.

May 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #407 of 1,054
Preamp function is the Volume control and you need that for any headphone option you choose, or you cant control the HP volume.

You can use any 5v rectifier with the right pinout or even a few others with adapters. 274b and 5u4g, 5Y3, 5ar, 5R4, U52, GZ34 and 37, etc are all directly compatible. Type 80/83v are usable with cheap base adapters.

For output, you can use these DHTs: 300b, 2a3, 6a3, vt52, 45/245/345, 301x, 101d, 6b4g with adapter, 

May 5, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #408 of 1,054
But are you using it? I'm asking because I upsample every material I have to DSD via Foobar. DSD engine in all 7 family sounds much better than PCM one, and IMO that's the key to get the best out of those DAC-s.

Still busy listening to DSD and transferring music to a player/server that just arrived. But will try upsampling non DSD to DSD in due course. As a general rule I try not to upsample as a matter of personal preference, though in this case I just might make an exception for the Lampi to test out how "converted DSD" compares with PCM.

Does anyone have good recommendations for upsampling player / software on the Mac OS please?

May 6, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #409 of 1,054
Still busy listening to DSD and transferring music to a player/server that just arrived. But will try upsampling non DSD to DSD in due course. As a general rule I try not to upsample as a matter of personal preference, though in this case I just might make an exception for the Lampi to test out how "converted DSD" compares with PCM.

Does anyone have good recommendations for upsampling player / software on the Mac OS please?

Not sure about Mac OS, but HQplayer has the best algorithms do do PCM>DSD on the fly, at least some of my friends, owners of L7 say... I personally use Foo and it works like a charm.

May 6, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #410 of 1,054
Dear Visnon Thanks,

Preamp function is the Volume control and you need that for any headphone option you choose, or you cant control the HP volume.

You can use any 5v rectifier with the right pinout or even a few others with adapters. 274b and 5u4g, 5Y3, 5ar, 5R4, U52, GZ34 and 37, etc are all directly compatible.
Type 80/83v are usable with cheap base adapters.

For output, you can use these DHTs: 300b, 2a3, 6a3, vt52, 45/245/345, 301x, 101d, 6b4g with adapter, 

I only have 300B , 274 B , GZ34,  5U4G .  Can I use those tubes without having to use the adapters?

Any driver tubes?

Is there any difference in term of functional and sound signature (except for one box and two boxes) between Lampizator Level 7 and Big 7 DAC?
Is there any difference in term of sound signature and function between Lite & and Lampizator Level 7 DAC?
thanks again

May 6, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #411 of 1,054
Any driver tubes?

Is there any difference in term of functional and sound signature (except for one box and two boxes) between Lampizator Level 7 and Big 7 DAC?
Is there any difference in term of sound signature and function between Lite & and Lampizator Level 7 DAC?
thanks again

No driver tubes for any of the models except the Head DAC.

No functional difference between Level 7 and Big 7. In terms of sound "signature", I listened to both at a local dealer where the two units had very similar configuration (e.g. even the caps are both Jupiter), but it was not a vigorous A/B test by any means. To my tin ears, the difference is small enough such that I would not have been able to pass a blind test. I would attribute any perception of difference to either psychology, lapse in auditory memory while the cables are being switched, or build quality of the specific units on hand. But again, this may also be just a product of my own insensitive ears, and your mileage may vary.

Lite 7 is built as-is and no customization is offered, so no volume control, dual mono DSD etc. as far as I know. No rectifier either. Again I only heard the LIte _very_ briefly, but this is where I feel there is a more legitimate difference in sound. The Lite to me sounds a bit more clinical, where the details jump out a little more, so for certain types of music I would argue it might even sound "better" than the Level 7 or Big 7 depending on your tastes. The Big 7 on the other hand seems more bold, lively and "saturated" (as in intensity, not coloration.). This is especially if paired with tubes that are not laid back.

So to my ears, the two certainly have distinct characters. Having said that, the difference is not huge by any means; and to be more direct, for anyone who might be concerned that the Lite 7 skimps on quality or sonic performance - don't worry, that is not the case at all.

May 6, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #412 of 1,054
  Kiertjai,

You are confusing 2 different products, the Big7 Dac (Which can have headphones jacks as an option) and the Big7 HeadDac.
Neither will be able to drive the HE-6, but the HeadDac will have a transformer bypass switch and with the bypass it will drive the Senn HD800 and a few others. Without bypass, it will drive low impedance HPs which are not as "hungry" as the HE-6. The best match thus would be the HD800 and such Phones as you get to bypass the output transformers for another veil lifted.

The HeadDac has the same tubes as the B7 Dac, ie 2 DHT output and a 5v recti PLUS it also has a driver tube (VT99 of 6sn7). Thus the haedDac is same Dac as By but with a Headamp integrated. The Dac with phone out Jacks will limited to the easiest HPs to drive as there is only the preamp driving it. All headphone out Dacs/headDacs MUST have the volume control option.

AL absolutely loves the B7 HeadDac and he has 2 Woo amps and the Senn SS headlamp as well.

This is my understanding from AL and Lukasz.

I’m still a bit confused. Do the much cheaper B7 HeadDac sounds better than the Big7 Dac with headphones jacks as an option?

How’s the difference then using them as pure DAC only?

May 6, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #413 of 1,054
The B7 HeadDac is MORE expensive than the B7 Dac only. I said its possible to get headphone jacks on a regulat B7 as an option, but you will be limited in what types of Phones you can drive. i know it works for the Senn HD800, but cant s3wear for anything else. The B7 HeadDac has a power amp stage with the VT99 driver tube and can power a wider range of amps, but NOT the HifiMan HE-6 which is just too voracious.

Finally with the HeadDac, you can use the Dac and the amp jointly or independently. There is synergy when used jointly, but if you wanted to amp another dac or wanted to use just the Dac section with a SS headamp, that is easily done too.

May 6, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #414 of 1,054

Easy, HQ Player (signalyst.com) is the best for upconverting...JRiver is the best for media handling, but its upconversion algorithms lag even the free Foobar!

May 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #415 of 1,054
  Dear Visnon Thanks,

You can use any 5v rectifier with the right pinout or even a few others with adapters. 274b and 5u4g, 5Y3, 5ar, 5R4, U52, GZ34 and 37, etc are all directly compatible.
Type 80/83v are usable with cheap base adapters.

I only have 300B , 274 B , GZ34,  5U4G .  Can I use those tubes without having to use the adapters?

Any driver tubes?

thanks again

2 Box L7 is no longer made. In any case, the new B7 is reportedly more refined and quieter.

Never heard the Lite 7, but heard it sound great (excellent bass, maybe due to SS rectifiers?) and is excellent value for money. The potential issue is that its made standard, no customization allowed, so if you want something a bit different, this may not be for you. The good point with the Lite is that it can later be upgraded to full B7 for reasonable cost.

For the B7 headdac, you can use the favourite VT-99 or 6sn7 and I think 6SL7 (not sure).

You only need adapters for Type 80/83v rectis and for 6b4g DHTs from the extensive lists I posted before. So yes, you can use all those you have without adapters. You seem set with Rectis, so I would suggest you seek out some 6A3s, which are relatively inexpensive and have great all round feedback. People also love the PSvane WE replica101d-L tubes, but they are $550 a pair on Ebay! You can also buy SS rectifeiers for the B67 that cost about $10 each. They have the same base as Tubes and you plug them in the recti socket.

May 6, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #416 of 1,054
As Lite 7 does not have the DSD DAC as good as the Big7 or Level7
Is it a good idea to use the combination of Lite 7 + DSD Amber DAC?
We can easily switch the outputs from the J River to use DSD Amber or Lite 7
Only one more USB port and one more good quality USB cable in case that
you use multiple inputs preamplifier and amplifier.
Different tube rolling option too as now we can use 6DJ8 or E88cc

May 6, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #417 of 1,054
No driver tubes for any of the models except the Head DAC.

No functional difference between Level 7 and Big 7. In terms of sound "signature", I listened to both at a local dealer where the two units had very similar configuration (e.g. even the caps are both Jupiter), but it was not a vigorous A/B test by any means. To my tin ears, the difference is small enough such that I would not have been able to pass a blind test. I would attribute any perception of difference to either psychology, lapse in auditory memory while the cables are being switched, or build quality of the specific units on hand. But again, this may also be just a product of my own insensitive ears, and your mileage may vary.

Lite 7 is built as-is and no customization is offered, so no volume control, dual mono DSD etc. as far as I know. No rectifier either. Again I only heard the LIte _very_ briefly, but this is where I feel there is a more legitimate difference in sound. The Lite to me sounds a bit more clinical, where the details jump out a little more, so for certain types of music I would argue it might even sound "better" than the Level 7 or Big 7 depending on your tastes. The Big 7 on the other hand seems more bold, lively and "saturated" (as in intensity, not coloration.). This is especially if paired with tubes that are not laid back.

So to my ears, the two certainly have distinct characters. Having said that, the difference is not huge by any means; and to be more direct, for anyone who might be concerned that the Lite 7 skimps on quality or sonic performance - don't worry, that is not the case at all.

Agreed on B7 vs. L7 part. It's basically the same thing (same engines, analogue and digital parts) with power supply in separated box or integrated with rest of electronics. From what I know, in B7 power supply is actually even a bit more complicated than in L7. And B7 gets fancy blue PCB. As Łukasz says, most clients order one box for obvious reasons, I can only agree here based on what I know. And I assume he has lots of additional work in order to get two L7 boxes ready. Just think about soldering those umbilical cords alone, lots of work from what I know.

May 6, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #418 of 1,054
  As Lite 7 does not have the DSD DAC as good as the Big7 or Level7
Is it a good idea to use the combination of Lite 7 + DSD Amber DAC?
We can easily switch the outputs from the J River to use DSD Amber or Lite 7
Only one more USB port and one more good quality USB cable in case that
you use multiple inputs preamplifier and amplifier.
Different tube rolling option too as now we can use 6DJ8 or E88cc

Lite 7 has the same DSD engine as Big7. Lite 7 is ABOVE the Amber already. Lite 7 is a DHT Dac with SS rectification and standardized input/output options and no Vol control.

May 6, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #419 of 1,054

Agreed on B7 vs. L7 part. It's basically the same thing (same engines, analogue and digital parts) with power supply in separated box or integrated with rest of electronics. From what I know, in B7 power supply is actually even a bit more complicated than in L7. And B7 gets fancy blue PCB. As Łukasz says, most clients order one box for obvious reasons, I can only agree here based on what I know. And I assume he has lots of additional work in order to get two L7 boxes ready. Just think about soldering those umbilical cords alone, lots of work from what I know.

L7 had 9 power supplies while B7 has 20. Umbilical cord also to my mind would meand less dynamics.

I guess for reasons of reducing production complexities the L7 is out. I think he already has to many product offerings and permutations, so it is a wise idea to trim the edges.

May 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #420 of 1,054
  The B7 HeadDac is MORE expensive than the B7 Dac only. I said its possible to get headphone jacks on a regulat B7 as an option, but you will be limited in what types of Phones you can drive. i know it works for the Senn HD800, but cant s3wear for anything else. The B7 HeadDac has a power amp stage with the VT99 driver tube and can power a wider range of amps, but NOT the HifiMan HE-6 which is just too voracious.

Finally with the HeadDac, you can use the Dac and the amp jointly or independently. There is synergy when used jointly, but if you wanted to amp another dac or wanted to use just the Dac section with a SS headamp, that is easily done too.

Sorry I’m still lost. Can you point me to the page for the Big 7 HeadDac? I can only find one page for the Head Dac L7 and one with B7 headphone option.   

"You are confusing 2 different products, the Big7 Dac (Which can have headphones jacks as an option) and the Big7 HeadDac."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back