Looking for Soundcard/External solution
Aug 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

)v(ajin_R_

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my soundcard, which is an sb live card and it really does sound shocking. Once the volume goes slightly high everything sounds grainy and unbearable.

So I'm looking to purchase ANY replacement, where I can plug my computer speakers, headphones and microphone into it, whether it be external or internal. It doesn't matter how many units it is as long as I can put it on my desk (if it's external) and plug everything into it.

My budget is $200-300, I've been looking at various soundcards like the 1212m and the Juli@ but I really don't know much about external DAC's and whether I can plug all these things into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 10
The Creative X-Fi Platinum has a 5.25" front panel that has a 1/4 inch headphone jack with volume knob, a 1/4 inch microphone jack with volume knob, and lots of other inputs and outputs. It runs around $180 new.

edit: It has the usual analog outputs/inputs in the PCI slot like normal.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 10
So is the x-fi my only option considering my budget?

I'm a bit skeptical on the creative since my current sound card is creative, however I will purchase the x-fi if there are no alternative options. How about the ESI Juli@ and the E-mu cards?

Also is there nothing external I can use that might be better than a soundcard?

Thanks for the reply werdwerdus
smily_headphones1.gif
It really is appreciated.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Although I like the XFi cards, I have not heard good reports on the headphone amp for the front panel headphone jack. But then we audiophiles look at things differently, I have one, and think that it sounds ok. Its not the best, but it probably much better than what you are listening to now, while not being better than a $1000 external dac/amp.

If you want to look at an external system, the M-Audio USB Audiophile would be an external box, plugged into the USB port, with its own drivers. This box has all the connectors and a Headphone jack out. It is listed on the M-Audio site for $250. Others have commented on the Edirol USB device as having a pretty good DAC in it.

I suggest you do a search of the forum here for USB AUDIO, or USB DAC and look into all the options. I believe up in the stickied area there is a list of USB audio solutions for use with a Laptop, which of course won't hold a sound card. There was a long list on that thread when I looked last. All sorts of price ranges.

<edit - that stickied thread is not there now. Find it with a search for "LapFi" I think >

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 10
have you thought about cheaper soundcards like the revo 5.1 or emu-0404? i'm gonna guess you probably have but want to spend $200-$300 on something better..

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey guys

Once again I appreciate your responses greatly.

Basically I am looking for the best sound quality I can get within my price range or even lower. I just want to bridge the gap between my listening rig and my computer rig, since the differences in sound quality is quite substantial.

If a 404 card is likely to be a major improvement to my current sound card, good bang for the buck and can at least come a fair bit closer to my primary rig then I'd definitely purchase it. I mentioned both external and internal solutions, because I am looking for the best sound quality/price regardless of size or function. I thought perhaps external options might sound better than the internal ones. As long as I can plug my headphones, speakers and a microphone into it with good results mainly on the speakers and headphones.

Bones how would you say a USB card would rank against an internal soundcard? Purely based on sound quality? That is basically all I am looking for.

I will look into all the options you guys mentioned and read about them further, again I greatly appreciate all your responses
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 10
I've just gotten an external M-audio audiophile USB for laptop listening; my early impression is, in absolute, very favorable. It can be had for $150 or less if you shop a bit.

Previous experience was with the internal M-audio Audiophile 24/96 and with the internal Terratek 2496, all from amped line output (using one of my two META42 DIY headphone amp).

The Audiphile USB has its own amp. It's dead quiet (lower S/N than the META42) and sounds OK to me for the little time I've had it. Can't give analytical summary yet, but it's sharp.

In sum, worth $150 for a very good audio experience, laptop or otherwise. By comparison, the built-in audio of my Latitude 610 is horrid, I can hear noise artifacts (from electrical crosstalk I presume) when I scroll windows . . .. Installation is a bit tricky, but unconditionally worth it. So good I'm thinking about getting a Transit DAC for portable use, too.

Cheers,

alsq

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Well I've narrowed my choices to the following, if sound cards require power from the motherboard then I'll have to eliminate them since the power supply in my computer cant fit anymore:

- M-Audio Audiophile (usb/firewire)
- M-Audio Delta 1010LT
- M-Audio Delta 44
- Esi-Juli@
- Total Bithead
- X-fi Platinum
- Echo Gina 3G

so far I like the last option the best

Basically I will be driving logitech z2300 speakers and my headphones.

Might take awhile to decide :p but again thanks for your replies so far

Oct 4, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Hello,
I would like to ask whether 0404 usb is a good choice for my laptop (in the future I would like to buy a dac ) that I could use my sa5000 through xin supermini to enjoy the music using the notebook?? Of course, I want to add some new stuff as a DAC and a better amp later, but do you think if it's a nice solution to start with? AND btw what is a difference in SQ between 0202 and 0404 ?? sorry for hijacking the thread...
cool.gif

Thank you for any help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back