LTA Aero Dac. Linear Tube Audio’s first-ever digital-to-analog converter, and the world’s first DAC using ZOTL technology.
May 7, 2024 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/aero-dac-digital-analog-converter

• Pure R2R Ladder DAC: No oversampling and no digital filters
  • Class-A ZOTL Output Stage: The first and only DAC in the world to use ZOTL technology
  • Zero Negative Feedback: No global or local feedback for timbral accuracy and enhanced transient response
  • Isolated Power Rails: Dedicated power supplies for each section for precise electrical isolation
  • Advanced Protection: Circuitry to protect downstream components from tube failures
  • Easy Tube Swapping: Fully visible tubes and simple toggle switch for using either 6SN7 or 12SN7 output tubes
    • Balanced XLR Outputs: Balanced output and crystal clear audio
    • Three Inputs: USB, SPDIF, and COAX inputs for flexible connectivity
    • Direct-Coupled Topology: No capacitors in the signal path
    • Plug & Play: No drivers needed for Windows or Mac
    • Advanced Power Regulation: Belleson-regulated, multi-stage choke filtration for clean power
    • Digital Galvanic Isolation: Blocks noise from music sources entering the DAC circuit
    • Made in the USA: Designed and built in our Takoma Park, MD workshop

aero-front-angle-web-v2-2.jpg
Aero-Velo-lifestyle-03-sq-web-2.jpg

Specifications

• Inputs: USB, RCA Coax, Toslink / Optical
  • Outputs: RCA (70 ohm), XLR (140 ohm)
  • Formats: Up to 24-bit / 192 kHz PCM
  • DAC: Analog Devices AD1865 R2R
  • Output Voltage:
    • RCA: 2.2 Vrms
    • XLR: 4.4 Vrms
  • THD+N:
    • RCA: 0.54% at 1.1 Vpeak.
    • XLR: 0.061% at 2.2 Vpeak
  • Hum:
    • RCA: -110dB at 1.1 Vpeak
    • XLR: -116dB at 2.2 Vpeak
  • Frequency Response: -0.3dB at 20Hz and -0.8dB at 20kHz
  • Power Consumption: 32W (Standby: 7W)
  • Dimensions:
    • Width: 17in
    • Depth: 10in (10.5 in including connectors)
    • Height: 3in (not including tubes)
  • Weight: Approx 15 lbs

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 16
The AD1865 was one of the nicest-sounding R2R DACs, so this will be interesting.

May 9, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 16
The AD1865 was one of the nicest-sounding R2R DACs, so this will be interesting.
I built my own Dac using it. It was the best sounding Dac I have ever heard it was modeled after the $50,000. Audio Note Dac of the time. I even used audio note transformers. With a Zotl output, it should be great.

May 10, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Initial Thoughts on the Aero Dac --

I recently made several enhancements to my headphone setup, which included rearranging my equipment and upgrading cables before adding the Aero Dac. I started by placing an Aurender A10 and an LTA MZ3 amplifier on a solid wood table, supported by Acoustic iso-pods, which worked reasonably well with my Audeze LCD X and Meze 109 Pro headphones. However, the performance with the T+A Solitaire T headphones was lacking. Despite high-resolution streaming from Qobuz and Tidal, I noticed a slight veil and a harsh digital edge to the treble across all headphones.

To address this, I upgraded to Wywires Platinum headphone cables, which brought noticeable improvements in soundstage width, clarity, and midrange performance. Yet, the sound still fell short of my expectations. This led me to try Voodoo iso-pods under the Aurender, and continuing to use Acoustic iso-pods under the Mz3, which resulted in a significant lift in audio quality, prompting me to reconsider my need for the Aero Dac. The positive outcome encouraged me to use additional Voodoo pods under the Aurender connected to my speaker system, enhancing instrument definition and bass detail dramatically in the speaker setup.

Upon integrating the Aero Dac, which I set on a separate wood stand with Voodoo iso-pods beneath it, the improvement was undeniable. The setup, linked via a Wywires Platinum USB cable, produced exceptional sound quality across all three headphones, including the Solitaire T.

The Aero Dac brought a fluidity to streaming high-resolution audio from Qobuz and Tidal that was truly striking. With the Audeze LCD X, the nuances in recording quality became markedly evident. On superior recordings, brass instruments were rendered with outstanding transparency and realism, while drums exhibited a vibrant sheen. Treble extensions in all instruments were lively yet smooth, avoiding any harshness. Vocals, from artists like Ella Fitzgerald, Patricia Barber, Emmylou Harris, Diana Krall, and Frank Sinatra, were intimate and detailed, capturing every breath with clarity. (By way of note, with this new setup with the Aero, there are recordings of Patrcia Barber, Madeleine Peyroux and Melody Gardot which were either unclear or unlikeable that are now breathtaking). The LCD X maintained its analytical precision yet introduced an organic warmth that set a new standard not only in my setup but in comparison to others I've had the opportunity to audition. In conclusion, the Aero Dac excels in delivering engaging, musical sound devoid of the typical digital artifacts often associated with digital playback.

May 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 16
I received my Aero yesterday and first impressions have slayed me.
Yesterday, out of the box, I listened to it with the LTA MZ3 with ZMF Atrium.The air and details were giving me chills. I'm sensitive to treble but had no problems and heard details in my music selection had never heard before in the upper spectrum.The bass dropped deep and full. The staging of the holographic imaging was impressive. Definitely a synergy occurring.
Tonight, I'm listening to the balanced output to the Ferrum Hypsos Oor with the Abyss Diana TC. Powerful and energetic are words I would use for what I'm hearing. My full attention is pulled into the music.
On each amp, I don't hear any digital shine from the Aero. Forceful yet smooth.
I look forward to how the sound will settle as burn in continues.
For me, this was definitely worth the money and wait.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 16
When I built my DAC with the 1865 and on my speaker system, a few friends came over from time to time and just stare. They would look at me in disbelief. Now, with a Zotl output stage, I can only imagine what this will be like.

May 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 16
May 11, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 16
This dac is an Aero straight through my heart as my head explodes.
Day 3 and I've reached heights today that I've never have.
This is very special.
It will be interesting when audiophile reviews begin to come out.
I lack the adequate ability to eloquently explain what I'm experiencing.
Today balanced output into Sony TA-ZH1ES into Zu Audio Soul Supreme has me in heaven.
Also have the LTA MZ3-> Abyss Diana TC running which makes for an amazing immersive effect.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 16
I picked up my Aero DAC on 5/3/2024 from LTA and had a chance to talk with Nicholas Tolson. He recommends keeping the DAC turned on continuously for best sound. I have about 175 hours of use on the Aero and it has burned in nicely. The fit and finish on the casework is excellent with a simple set of two buttons: on/standby mode and the input selector. Aero has WBT RCA outputs and balanced outputs. There is a clean treble without any traces of sibilance or digital grittiness. My current audio chain is iMac Pro, Anticables Level 3.3 USB interconnect, Aero DAC, Analysis Plus Silver Apex balanced interconnect into the LTA Z10e integrated amplifier driving Stax SR-X9000 electrostatic headphones. This is a pure ZOTL chain with no output transformers. Classical music and live jazz recordings streamed from Tidal sound musical and crystal clear. It is easy to hear subtle details in the performances and hall ambiance. I have enjoyed several listening sessions that went well past midnight. There is a remarkable synergy in this system with a warm liquid midrange. DC HiFi Group is scheduled to visit LTA on 6/1/204 for a listening session. Stand by for a review from Steve Guttenberg, Audiophiliac Daily Show on YouTube later this year.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 16
I picked up my Aero DAC on 5/3/2024 from LTA and had a chance to talk with Nicholas Tolson. He recommends keeping the DAC turned on continuously for best sound. I have about 175 hours of use on the Aero and it has burned in nicely. The fit and finish on the casework is excellent with a simple set of two buttons: on/standby mode and the input selector. Aero has WBT RCA outputs and balanced outputs. There is a clean treble without any traces of sibilance or digital grittiness. My current audio chain is iMac Pro, Anticables Level 3.3 USB interconnect, Aero DAC, Analysis Plus Silver Apex balanced interconnect into the LTA Z10e integrated amplifier driving Stax SR-X9000 electrostatic headphones. This is a pure ZOTL chain with no output transformers. Classical music and live jazz recordings streamed from Tidal sound musical and crystal clear. It is easy to hear subtle details in the performances and hall ambiance. I have enjoyed several listening sessions that went well past midnight. There is a remarkable synergy in this system with a warm liquid midrange. DC HiFi Group is scheduled to visit LTA on 6/1/204 for a listening session. Stand by for a review from Steve Guttenberg, Audiophiliac Daily Show on YouTube later this year.
👍

May 14, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 16
What is everyone using for the digital cable? USB B, coax or optical?

May 14, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm really interested in hearing this DAC. Glad to know so many of you in the DMV area have purchased, as I hope to hear it at one of the local Head-Fi meets. Someone mentioned a listening opportunity on 6/1? Is that officially posted somewhere? Otherwise, I'll just drive up to LTA to hear it. I've already got the MZ3, so I'm already a huge fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back