NEW HiBy R4
May 9, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #361 of 570
Sooooo just wanna ask about people's opinion. I'm debating b/w replacing my ZX300 with the new R4 or get something more expensive like the R6.

It seems like the R4 is a pretty good priced at $249. However, I'm afraid SQ wise it wouldn't as big as an upgrade if I were to go to a R6 III or Pro 2.

Kinda looking to move to an Android DAP and the R4 being Android 12, good battery and quad DAC, Class A amp seems like a pretty reasonable offer. Dunno, what dyou guys think?

May 9, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #363 of 570
Seems to be the Hiby house sound.
In this price range outside of the R4 and maybe the A306 the others are Linux based DAP's. Namely the M1S, R3 II and Tempotec V3. If you stretch the price a little you can include the R5 gen2.

So is there anyone at this point who would still choose the A306 over the R4? I won't likely have a chance to demo either one but having the A55 with custom firmware I have a ballpark idea on the A306 sound. The R4 is a complete mystery to me as I have never had a chance to try a Hiby DAP before. The A306 is the safe choice (the devil you know). But I would like to try something less safe and the R4 is that for sure especially with the discrete Class A amp.

Anyone with experience with both want to weigh in on a comparison between the two if you can?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #364 of 570
Sooooo just wanna ask about people's opinion. I'm debating b/w replacing my ZX300 with the new R4 or get something more expensive like the R6.

It seems like the R4 is a pretty good priced at $249. However, I'm afraid SQ wise it wouldn't as big as an upgrade if I were to go to a R6 III or Pro 2.

Kinda looking to move to an Android DAP and the R4 being Android 12, good battery and quad DAC, Class A amp seems like a pretty reasonable offer. Dunno, what dyou guys think?

I haven't heard the Sony. My advice (that I rarely follow) is to save up and go as far as you can to avoid buying again in the future. I was seriously impressed by the sound quality of the R6 Pro 2 when testing it a few months ago. And I daily drive the iBasso DX300, a pretty nifty one. Whilst I don't have the R6 Pro 2 with me any more and the aural memory is shady as best, judging against the DX300 that I still use daily, the R4, as expected, falls behind.

That said, the R4 has nifty DSP and system-wide EQ on its sleeves. The class A amp can keep up with most difficult IEMs in my collection and avoid making them sound small and congested. On my unit, I add a bit of EQ and turn on DSP plugins.

Noted that the quad DAC here is not similar to the quad DAC in, say A&K SR35. R4 has two DACs for PCM and another set with different filter for DSD. They do sound different. The SR35 on the other hand can run 4 DACs at the same time for L+ L- and R+ R-

May 9, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #365 of 570
I haven't heard the Sony. My advice (that I rarely follow) is to save up and go as far as you can to avoid buying again in the future. I was seriously impressed by the sound quality of the R6 Pro 2 when testing it a few months ago. And I daily drive the iBasso DX300, a pretty nifty one. Whilst I don't have the R6 Pro 2 with me any more and the aural memory is shady as best, judging against the DX300 that I still use daily, the R4, as expected, falls behind.

That said, the R4 has nifty DSP and system-wide EQ on its sleeves. The class A amp can keep up with most difficult IEMs in my collection and avoid making them sound small and congested. On my unit, I add a bit of EQ and turn on DSP plugins.

Noted that the quad DAC here is not similar to the quad DAC in, say A&K SR35. R4 has two DACs for PCM and another set with different filter for DSD. They do sound different. The SR35 on the other hand can run 4 DACs at the same time for L+ L- and R+ R-
That is kind of why I only own one DAP at a time! To avoid the need or desire to keep upgrading to something else. Once I get use to the sound of a DAP that I enjoy then I feel less inclinded to get another one until my current DAP starts to show it's age to much. My A55 while still working fine for the most part has been getting a little glitchy. Sometimes I will listen to a track that sounds garbled (like an old cassette tape) for a few seconds then plays fine or not at all. The custom firmware sometimes cuts off the last 5 seconds of a track with the "Can't play this format" error message, mostly for mp3's but also some flac files. Little annoyances like that plus wanting a birthday present for myself leads me to the hunt for my next new DAP.

I still love how the A55 sounds but after two years I do feel the need for something more current, with a larger screen (my eyes aren't getting any younger).

May 9, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #366 of 570
In this price range outside of the R4 and maybe the A306 the others are Linux based DAP's. Namely the M1S, R3 II and Tempotec V3. If you stretch the price a little you can include the R5 gen2.
I'm guessing the A306 and ZX300 should sound similar albeit ZX300 should sound better. Honestly, I think the Sony DAPs are a bit too warm for my liking and it doesn't sound very detailed to me. Tried the R6 Pro 2 and it sounded clear and more resolving. I dunno honestly.

Yea that makes sense. I heard my frds R6 Pro 2 with the Monarchs Mk2. Blew my mind away how detailed, well-separated and lively it sounded. I thought the Mk2s sounded so plain and boring on my Sony daps so I was going to sell it.

I think I'll just wait for another model or used higher end dap like the R6 Pro or Fiio M11 series or seomthing. Better to pay more for a better quality and long lasting item. Although I'm hearing the R4 is pretty good for the price. Thanks for the advice.

May 9, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #367 of 570
I think I'll just wait for another model or used higher end dap like the R6 Pro or Fiio M11 series or something. Better to pay more for a better quality and long lasting item. Although I'm hearing the R4 is pretty good for the price. Thanks for the advice.
This is what I did, ended up cancelling my R4 and went for a R6 pro II from classifieds. Costed me double what the R4 would cost but I can imagine it being at least 1.5 times as good and as a result worth the price to me.

May 9, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #368 of 570
This is what I did, ended up cancelling my R4 and went for a R6 pro II from classifieds. Costed me double what the R4 would cost but I can imagine it being at least 1.5 times as good and as a result worth the price to me.
Makes sense. There's defn diminishing returns but it's better to get something you'll love rather than it's okay. Especially if you tried better stuff 😅 Your ears aren't the same.

I saw a listing for the Fiio M11s. I'll prob get that one for roughly the same price as the R4.

May 9, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #369 of 570
"It doesn’t sound very musical or full" is quite far from "dull, flat and boring" imo.

to each its own i guess...
Maybe you guys should look at @ToneDeafMonk 's review in YouTube which I prefer rather than just read that reviewer's boring review😅 of an otherwise budget dap with not so budget features and capabilities.

May 9, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #370 of 570
Here is another R4 kind of rambling fever dream (with cream cheese) of a review. He seems genuinely impressed by the sound quality and the R4 overall when he manages a coherent thought.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #372 of 570
So has anyone in the US got a tracking number yet, or have the preorders not shipped yet?
i got an email response 4 days ago cause i needed a shipping address change but no, I haven't seen anyone get theirs yet.

May 9, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #373 of 570

from your memory, what the main difference between r4 & r6p2 soundwise?

still not sure to buy r4 or just goes to r6p2 to change my cayin ru7 for outside usage .... my impulse buying mind wants r6p2 but i only gonna use it maybe 2-3hrs a week, and most of time my listening session is at home with desktop setup (k9 pro)

tried r6p2 months ago & like it , and the secondhand market looks not bad at $400-450 ish

May 9, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #374 of 570

If you've acquired a taste for the ZX300 (as I have), especially one with the MrWalkman firmware, then you probably won't find another DAP that sounds the same, or is better at what it does. It's unique.

Something like the R4, along side the equally affordable black knob version of the Tempotec Variations V6, with all their DSP flexibility (MSEB, Plug-ins, Parametric EQ, etc.), either will give you the best inexpensive entry into the Android world of streaming apps plus local file libraries. Without DSP they will sound much less warm than the Sony. Add MSEB settings, and they will get closer, perhaps close enough for you.

In any case these audiophile Android DAPs are very complementary to what the Sony has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back