NEW HiBy R4
May 16, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #481 of 877
Okay I did some more testing.

5 plugins enabled, high gain, streaming Tidal for 15 minutes, no iem attached - cool as a cucumber.
Same as above but with iem connected, starts to get hot after 15 minutes, and really hot after 20-30 minutes to the point of concern.

This suggests a possible amp issue with my and @JimiMack's unit as @Joe Bloggs mentioned, versus a CPU or other issue.
I've already reached out to Joe via PM so I'll let you all know how quick the turnaround is to get the replacement unit.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #482 of 877

5 plugins enabled, high gain, streaming Tidal for 15 minutes, no iem attached - cool as a cucumber.
Same as above but with iem connected, starts to get hot after 15 minutes, and really hot after 20-30 minutes to the point of concern.

This suggests a possible amp issue with my and @JimiMack's unit as @Joe Bloggs mentioned, versus a CPU or other issue.
I've already reached out to Joe via PM so I'll let you all know how quick the turnaround is to get the replacement unit.
Mine is already dropped and the post office, wonder how long before I see a replacement.

May 16, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #483 of 877
Mine has arrived too.
Is it safe to open the box?
Or, is there a possibility that as soon as the box is opened, my unit might superheat and go supernova, before collapsing in on itself, and becoming a black hole, which then sucks our entire solar system into it?

May 16, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #486 of 877
May 16, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #487 of 877
I received my player today. Upon opening, first thing I did was plugged it in to charge the device to 100. On other Hiby devices, the light flashes red and when it's done charging, it changes to solid blue. My R4 has reached 100% over 1 hour ago but the light is still flashing red, it has never changed to solid blue. Does anyone else have a similar experience? @Joe Bloggs is this something that will be updated in the next firmware?

May 16, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #488 of 877

Geez, that is concerning! I've only used low-med gain and play mostly local files. Occasionally, I play Tidal for 1-2 hours, and that's it. My unit gets warm but not hot. I do hope your units get replaced soon and mine does not develop that issue over time.

May 16, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #489 of 877
I received my player today. Upon opening, first thing I did was plugged it in to charge the device to 100. On other Hiby devices, the light flashes red and when it's done charging, it changes to solid blue. My R4 has reached 100% over 1 hour ago but the light is still flashing red, it has never changed to solid blue. Does anyone else have a similar experience? @Joe Bloggs is this something that will be updated in the next firmware?
Mine doesn't turn blue. It turns blue if unplugged and nothing is playing.

May 16, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #492 of 877
Got my R4 today, and unfortunately it stopped working after about 15 minutes. Went to take the case off to load some more music on the SD card, and in the process of removing the case it began to complain about "Digital Audio Locked", an attempted reboot later (because no key combo seemed to disable it) and I now have a shiny brick and it won't even boot into recovery mode.
Has anyone else had this happen or know what I did wrong?

May 16, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #493 of 877
Got my R4 today, and unfortunately it stopped working after about 15 minutes. Went to take the case off to load some more music on the SD card, and in the process of removing the case it began to complain about "Digital Audio Locked", an attempted reboot later (because no key combo seemed to disable it) and I now have a shiny brick and it won't even boot into recovery mode.
Has anyone else had this happen or know what I did wrong?
Mine came like that too. You have to go into the settings somewhere and turn off volume lock for spdif. Doing this will let you control the volume again.

May 16, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #494 of 877
Mine has arrived too.
Is it safe to open the box?

Depends……..are you related to anyone with the name Schrödinger?

It can take a number of charge/discharge cycles to set Li-ion parameters so I wouldn’t be concerned

May 16, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #495 of 877
Mine came like that too. You have to go into the settings somewhere and turn off volume lock for spdif. Doing this will let you control the volume again.
Unfortunately, it will not turn back on so I have no way to go into the settings and disable it, wish I had known it was just a setting and not a key-lock before the reboot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back