ONIX Miracle - New Generation Hi-Fi Streamer
Sep 20, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #31 of 138
1. Does the base include a slot to add a hard drive ? No. Just a USB port... OUCH (unless I haven't seen it)
2. Does the base have an Ehternet connection to use it as a media rendered when the DAP is not plugged in ? No RE-OUCH ! (unless I haven't seen it)
3. Does the base have Wi-Fi to enjoy streaming in Hi-Res (and not LDAC or other codecs) ? No 3 X OUCH (unless I haven't seen it)
4. Does the DAP sport a flagship DAC when I'm on the run ? No, it is a mid-range DAC : AK 4493 4 X OUCH
5. Does the DAP include serious internal storage ? No. 64GB only. So I have to use a super slow SD card... 5 X OUCH
6. Does the DAP offer decent playback time ? 18h promised... with 3350mAH battery. I'd like to see proof af advertised time...
7. Does the DAP offer output power that will handle all HP and IEM's effortlessly ? Not really 230mW in Balanced with 32Ohm... 6X OUCH
8. Does the Stack sport the lastest Android OS ? No, it is a 3/4 years old system 7 X OUCH
9. Do you promise at least 2 Android genrerations updates with money-back guarantee ? Of course not... HUM, but OK no one does...
10. Does the DAP sport the latest Snapdragon chips to ensure buttery smooth operation ? No, it's a 4 years old mid-range chip 8X OUCH
11. Does the music player included allow to play gapless in streaming mode ? No OOOOUUUCCCHHH !
12. Does the music player display cover art when browsing through library ? NO
13. Does the music player allow me to sort my albums by date ? NO

For 5k you can get a REAL streamer with headphone amp AND a real DAP with a more modern Android version, a faster CPU and a much more powerful amp. And you may even save about 1K even if you get high end products.

1. Hard-drive slot? No. What would be purpose for this?
If you want to connect hard-drive, SSD or any other USB Drive, you can use a USB slot on the rear of the device.

2. No Ethernet connection. It relies on Wi-Fi connection, as many other streamers.

3. The base doesn't have Wi-Fi connection, it's managed by the streamer module on the top.

4. The Audio circuit in the XM10 is about balance (space, battery, cost). It would seem a bit wasteful to be putting a high-end audio circuit into the streaming section of the Miracle, as it's not its primary use.

5. We have never seen the speed of MicroSD cards present any issue in Hi-Fi rigs. We prefer to use freely expendable MicroSD card storage instead of limited internal storage.

6. Battery life comes from our testing, it's same as with all our other devices.

7. Please refer to #4

8. & 9. We accept that the Android 10 is not the latest system, but we believe it's more than suitable for use for now and upcoming years.

10. The CPU used in XM10 is comparable or better to CPUs used by other Hi-Fi manufacturers. There is no Hi-Fi manufacturer using "the latest Snapdragon chips".

11. Yes, it can play gapless, depending on app used.

12. Yes. it can display album cover. Also, once again, depends on which app you use.

13. You can choose to use app that allows such sorting or anything else. It's open Android system.

Without you ever hearing the Onix Miracle Streamer, it's quite a bold choice to be comparing it on the paper in quality of sound to other DACs and amplifiers.

Onix Miracle is built as a high-end Audio rig. We offer cheaper Shanling streamers if the top sound quality is not a priority.

One quick question about this stack.
Can the Base be remote controlled by a smartphone ?
If so, can it be remote controlled even if the DAP is not plugged in ?

I must say that I am puzzled as to how this can happen, as there does not seem to be Wi-Fi or BT input to the remote.

And that question is of great importance.
Because it seems the craddle that receives the DAP is custom tailored for the dedicated DAP.
Should I break, or loose or get a malfunctiong DAP after a FW update, what do I have ?
No DAP and a 5k desktop DAC ?

The XP10 base can be used as a standalone player with USB drive connected, with the small touch screen or Eddict Player app serving for file navigation.

The XP10 offers Bluetooth input mode, alongside other digital inputs for use as standalone DAC.

The XM10 streamer can be repaired or extra unit can be purchased, if you are worried about destroying or loosing parts of your Hi-Fi Rig.

And yes, even without the streaming device the Onix Miracle would be a good 5k DAC/Amplifier (the core price of Onix Miracle is not in the XM10 streamer)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 138
1. Hard-drive slot? No. What would be purpose for this?
If you want to connect hard-drive, SSD or any other USB Drive, you can use a USB slot on the rear of the device.

2. No Ethernet connection. It relies on Wi-Fi connection, as many other streamers.

3. The base doesn't have Wi-Fi connection, it's managed by the streamer module on the top.

4. The Audio circuit in the XM10 is about balance (space, battery, cost). It would seem a bit wasteful to be putting a high-end audio circuit into the streaming section of the Miracle, as it's not its primary use.

5. We have never seen the speed of MicroSD cards present any issue in Hi-Fi rigs. We prefer to use freely expendable MicroSD card storage instead of limited internal storage.

6. Battery life comes from our testing, it's same as with all our other devices.

7. Please refer to #4

8. & 9. We accept that the Android 10 is not the latest system, but we believe it's more than suitable for use for now and upcoming years.

10. The CPU used in XM10 is comparable or better to CPUs used by other Hi-Fi manufacturers. There is no Hi-Fi manufacturer using "the latest Snapdragon chips".

11. Yes, it can play gapless, depending on app used.

12. Yes. it can display album cover. Also, once again, depends on which app you use.

13. You can choose to use app that allows such sorting or anything else. It's open Android system.

Without you ever hearing the Onix Miracle Streamer, it's quite a bold choice to be comparing it on the paper in quality of sound to other DACs and amplifiers.

Onix Miracle is built as a high-end Audio rig. We offer cheaper Shanling streamers if the top sound quality is not a priority.

The XP10 base can be used as a standalone player with USB drive connected, with the small touch screen or Eddict Player app serving for file navigation.

The XP10 offers Bluetooth input mode, alongside other digital inputs for use as standalone DAC.

The XM10 streamer can be repaired or extra unit can be purchased, if you are worried about destroying or loosing parts of your Hi-Fi Rig.

And yes, even without the streaming device the Onix Miracle would be a good 5k DAC/Amplifier (the core price of Onix Miracle is not in the XM10 streamer)
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answers.

I understand the choices.
Which does not necessarily mean I approve those choices FOR MY OWN NEEDS.

As I will probably not be able to tell the difference between this DAC/headphone amp and the current ones I own, and thus am more lookiing into features that will get me a TRULY all-in-one device, I have to come to the conclusion, that the Onix Miracle does not fit my needs, whatever the price...

As Shanling offers about the best sound quality I have heard in DAPs I will just looking at the new products and hope for one that will fullfill my needs. After all, I do not think my needs are so so special and, that if I am looking for something like I am describing, I am probably not the only one.

I will try to see if the EH3 can fill my needs.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #34 of 138
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 11, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 138
@Shanling I note that the balanced HP out is rated at 5.6W@32ohm. This would be per channel? I recall you once saying it will be always be per channel, I believe in the M30 thread. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #36 of 138
I understand why people are often critical when looking at Shanling product specs on paper, I have been too, but I also found that Shanling's products have been surprisingly good in practical use long term. The M8, although certainly not flawless, has been such a versatile and well-performing DAP. I have been surprised time and again how, when my main TOTL DAP falls short, the M8 always comes to the rescue. Recently, after a much newer DAP got accidentally damaged, I dusted off the M2X and found it still streamed Tidal and performed surprisingly well given its age and price point.

I'm not saying this to suck up to Shanling. It's just that in my experience on the long term, day-to-day use of their products, these outperform expectation and it has made me realise that many people (myself included) underestimate Shanling purely based on reading specs.
Agree. I guess Shanling does not do the sort of marketing that you find with other brands do. :) With regards to the M30 and, more recently, the ET-3, I am very happy with what I get in terms of functionality and more importantly the sound signature that is distinctly Shanling: organic with a hint of warmth. The ET-3 in particular has been a revelation in terms of its ability to be a media centre for me. I look forward to taking the Miracle out for a spin in due course. The proof is in the pudding. :)

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 138
Hi,
Shanling products are indeed sounding good.
I can not deny that.
The M8 DAP is indeed a fantastic DAP.

I had the H7 for 10 days and it sounded amazingly good.
Also, I now own the EH-3 and it is quite a good player.

But that does not mean that I think otherwise today than I thought some months ago.
The Onix is offered at a sky high price.
At this price tag, you expect a sky high performance at every level and do not want to compromise on anything.
I haven't tested the ONIX, but I fear it has to be driven by some software and I fear it will be Eddict. And that is a software that requires a lot of compromises.
Also, on the hardware part, I stil wonder why the DAP is not top of the line, especially with Shanling's expertise in that realm.

Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong, but I will never be certain as I will probably never get a chance to even come close to an ONIX product :wink:
So these are just assumptions...

Nov 11, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #38 of 138
Hi,
Shanling products are indeed sounding good.
I can not deny that.
The M8 DAP is indeed a fantastic DAP.

I had the H7 for 10 days and it sounded amazingly good.
Also, I now own the EH-3 and it is quite a good player.

But that does not mean that I think otherwise today than I thought some months ago.
The Onix is offered at a sky high price.
At this price tag, you expect a sky high performance at every level and do not want to compromise on anything.
I haven't tested the ONIX, but I fear it has to be driven by some software and I fear it will be Eddict. And that is a software that requires a lot of compromises.
Also, on the hardware part, I stil wonder why the DAP is not top of the line, especially with Shanling's expertise in that realm.

Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong, but I will never be certain as I will probably never get a chance to even come close to an ONIX product :wink:
So these are just assumptions...
Indeed it is all a matter of conjecture at this stage. :)

Ah… you did end up with a EH-3. I am using the ET-3 myself and it is a joy to use. And so many functionalities. And the sound signature is stellar.

Well, there will never be any product that will suit all use cases. What one person wants may end up being a compromise in the eyes of another. I just look forward to being able to take this out for a test over a period of time in due course. :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #39 of 138
Hi,

Yes, I got the EH-3 and it is really wonderful device... Really like it on a deaily basis :)
The only compromise that has to be made is the software part. Eddict works, that is not the problem, but for me it really lacks too many "options" to compliment the EH-3. But as there are several third-party options, that is problem that I can circumvent.
Regards.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #40 of 138
Hi,

Yes, I got the EH-3 and it is really wonderful device... Really like it on a deaily basis :)
The only compromise that has to be made is the software part. Eddict works, that is not the problem, but for me it really lacks too many "options" to compliment the EH-3. But as there are several third-party options, that is problem that I can circumvent.
Regards.
Good to hear! Yeah... I think, as hobbyists, we likely will have a lot varied ideas on use cases for the Shanling products that we use. Hence, @Shanling has been pretty receptive about ideas we have in the various Shanling threads for the software team to develop. So, please do give constructive feedback or suggestions in that respect. I am sure that you, as do I, want to see them succeed. And suggestions of such use cases can be our contribution. :)

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #41 of 138
Good to hear! Yeah... I think, as hobbyists, we likely will have a lot varied ideas on use cases for the Shanling products that we use. Hence, @Shanling has been pretty receptive about ideas we have in the various Shanling threads for the software team to develop. So, please do give constructive feedback or suggestions in that respect. I am sure that you, as do I, want to see them succeed. And suggestions of such use cases can be our contribution. :)
Hi,

LOL. Shanling is receptive about ideas for the software team to develop ?
I think we haven't read the same story :xf_cool:
I already submitted what I think are 2 really simple requests to fulfill and that was over a year ago.
So far : NOTHING !

What are those requests :
- to be able to display the album cover art when browsing through Artist => Albums. Almost every third party app does that. SZo I assume it should not be too difficult to do that. And I think it would be really nice. NOPE. No answer about that simple feature.
- to be able to sort albums other than alphabetically. WXhich comes in handy when you listen to classical music and have several interpretations of the same tracks (personnally, I think I have almost every complete set of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concertos, same for the Mahler and Dvorak symphonies). Same : no movement on the Shanling/Eddict front about that request, which is maybe a little more difficult to fulfill. But Symfonium, developped by a single guy, does it. So does BubbleUPnP. So it should be feasible...

Honestly ? If those two features were implemented, I think Eddcit would be mostly usable with Shanling products.
As it is, I simply have to use third-party apps :wink:

Of course, I am not talking about being able to send EQ'd files to the EH-3 or to be able to apply EQ on files even if on USB stick connected to EH-3. Neutron or UAPP does that but they are both a little buggy when that feature is active, so I assume it is a lot more complicated to achieve...

Ande to be honest, that is what frightens me a little.
If the ONIX is offered with Eddict software (or a rebranded Eddict software), I fear a lot of people buying the ONIX will be highly disappointed :frowning2:
Unless, of course, it is their first (and only) approach to "online" music... But if that is not the case : ONIX beware :frowning2:

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #42 of 138
Hi,

LOL. Shanling is receptive about ideas for the software team to develop ?
I think we haven't read the same story :xf_cool:
I already submitted what I think are 2 really simple requests to fulfill and that was over a year ago.
So far : NOTHING !

What are those requests :
- to be able to display the album cover art when browsing through Artist => Albums. Almost every third party app does that. SZo I assume it should not be too difficult to do that. And I think it would be really nice. NOPE. No answer about that simple feature.
- to be able to sort albums other than alphabetically. WXhich comes in handy when you listen to classical music and have several interpretations of the same tracks (personnally, I think I have almost every complete set of Beethoven's symphonies and piano concertos, same for the Mahler and Dvorak symphonies). Same : no movement on the Shanling/Eddict front about that request, which is maybe a little more difficult to fulfill. But Symfonium, developped by a single guy, does it. So does BubbleUPnP. So it should be feasible...

Honestly ? If those two features were implemented, I think Eddcit would be mostly usable with Shanling products.
As it is, I simply have to use third-party apps :wink:

Of course, I am not talking about being able to send EQ'd files to the EH-3 or to be able to apply EQ on files even if on USB stick connected to EH-3. Neutron or UAPP does that but they are both a little buggy when that feature is active, so I assume it is a lot more complicated to achieve...

Ande to be honest, that is what frightens me a little.
If the ONIX is offered with Eddict software (or a rebranded Eddict software), I fear a lot of people buying the ONIX will be highly disappointed :frowning2:
Unless, of course, it is their first (and only) approach to "online" music... But if that is not the case : ONIX beware :frowning2:
Well, let's see what @Shanling says. :) In the other threads, the issues that were raised were dealt with, or at least we had a response to the requests. :wink:

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #43 of 138
@Shanling I note that the balanced HP out is rated at 5.6W@32ohm. This would be per channel? I recall you once saying it will be always be per channel, I believe in the M30 thread. Thanks!

Yes, output power always per channel.

Software on XM10 is same as on Shanling Portable players. Open Android with some custom functions.
XP10 software is similar to the software used on ECmini, quite independent, with Eddict player app for SyncLink remote function.

TOTL DAP itself is 3000 USD. As you already say Onix Miracle is too expensive, increasing its price by another 2500 USD wouldn't change much.
In my previous answer to your questions I explained why the XM10 was built as it is.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #44 of 138
Yes, output power always per channel.
Thanks for confirming. That’s good driving power. Look forward to trying it out in due course. :)

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #45 of 138
Who will be ressponsible for future Software updates (Shanling/Onix)?
This is very important regarding Roon compatibility.
I would not be happy if my Roon enviroment would not be supported because of too old Android version.
Actually the full support is guaranteed since Android 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back