RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 8, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #1,711 of 1,857
Is it possible to order a custom leather free version (or at least a version that uses non-animal derived faux leather including no egg shell protein leather) ?

Thanks.
I'll have to check with Dekoni about that. The minimum order quantity is huge, so that is the actual problem.

For the headband, we could do something, of course.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 8, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #1,713 of 1,857
Is it possible to order a custom leather free version (or at least a version that uses non-animal derived faux leather including no egg shell protein leather) ?

Thanks.

I'll have to check with Dekoni about that. The minimum order quantity is huge, so that is the actual problem.

For the headband, we could do something, of course.
There‘s a company “Vesper Audio”.

They would be happy to, @Aleksandar R. develop and manufacture small amounts of vegan earpads, or @smodtactical make a single copy of the original ones to your liking.

https://vesperaudio.com/ear-pads-and-headbands

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,714 of 1,857
Received the Immanis today. Oh boy...

First impressions:
- They are easily "better" than all previous RAAL-requisite headphones, provided you prefer more traditional circumaural headphones (SRs are still awesome in their own right).
- Extremely technically capable headphone.
- Staging is huge.
- Slightly warm, but wonderfully so. They are absolute monsters for acoustic music.
- Very well extended, musical, liquid, and coherent. These headphones pour music into an old fashion whiskey glass and serve it with a grin.
. Coherence and resulting "experience" is where these headphones really shine - my goodness. The only headphones I remember doing coherence this well are the Hifiman Susvaras (and only when properly amped). The Immanis convey the "energy of the experience" very well.

They are the real deal.
As one of the persons who convinced me to go for CFA3 a few years ago, I fully trust your judgement and ears 😁 can’t wait to get mine!

May 8, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,715 of 1,857
As one of the persons who convinced me to go for CFA3 a few years ago, I fully trust your judgement and ears 😁 can’t wait to get mine!
I'm sorry for your wallet, but know that you bought a completely different tier of headphone. As you are one of the people who convinced me to go with Mitch filters and the VM-1a (along with @Hiker816), I fully trust yours as well haha. Unfortunately, that special synergy you (and others) found with the CA + VM + MF will no longer be there. However, the Immanis are so good that you won't care and replicating similar magic with the Immanis/Magnas will be the new challenge.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,716 of 1,857
I'm sorry for your wallet, but know that you bought a completely different tier of headphone. As you are one of the people who convinced me to go with Mitch filters and the VM-1a (along with @Hiker816), I fully trust yours as well haha. Unfortunately, that special synergy you (and others) found with the CA + VM + MF will no longer be there. However, the Immanis are so good that you won't care and replicating similar magic with the Immanis/Magnas will be the new challenge.

It's a different tier, at least price wise, but stop right there, you said
Unfortunately, that special synergy you (and others) found with the CA + VM + MF will no longer be there. However, the Immanis are so good that you won't care and replicating similar magic with the Immanis/Magnas will be the new challenge.
So uhm, what?

May 8, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #1,717 of 1,857
It's a different tier, at least price wise, but stop right there, you said

So uhm, what?

Sorry for the confusion. For added context, combining the CA-1a with the VM-1a and/or special "Mitch" convolution filters generally results in excellent synergy and highly addictive sound (though I personally didn't care for the filters). Some users enjoy this combo so much they ditched other "TOTL" setups, even though said TOTL setups sometimes outperformed the CA combo in one area or another. It's all about preference and when you find a particular sound that you really enjoy, you just know it. And when you do, most everything else becomes incapable of scratching that itch.

So, while the CA+VM+MF combo magic is broken by replacing the CAs with Immanis, the Imannis are so much better in nearly every way that breaking that magical CA synergy is indeed worth it. It's akin to discovering the synergy between spaghetti, meatballs, red wine and salad. It's such an amazing combination of flavors that blend so well together you couldn't imagine ordering anything else. Then someone comes along and offers to trade you an F1 race car for your glorious Italian dinner. The only logical response is, "f&*k the salad, I'm racing..."

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,718 of 1,857
I found the Immanis + Holo Serene preamp better than the CA + VM. I do not use the M filters though I have all of them, including some for my old Thiel CS3.7 2-channel speakers.

The Immanis + my VM was the best I heard but I think the Immanis with most amps will be better than the CA + VM (my current setup). I do not have the Immanis yet.

May 8, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,719 of 1,857
I found the Immanis + Holo Serene preamp better than the CA + VM. I do not use the M filters though I have all of them, including some for my old Thiel CS3.7 2-channel speakers.

The Immanis + my VM was the best I heard but I think the Immanis with most amps will be better than the CA + VM (my current setup). I do not have the Immanis yet.
I agree 100%. The CAs just can't compete on any level, save for tactility/impact, physical durability (probably) and value.

How did you find the bass, specifically impact, between the VM and HSP?

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,720 of 1,857
Also forgot to mention, the Immanis sound a bit more impactful out of the 16Ω port on the TI-1b, which I find interesting as the 32Ω was usually better with the CAs.

Seems this could be dependent on what amp you put in front of the TI-1b.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,721 of 1,857
And that's when people think i'm attacking them personally instead of their argument. Hard to have a discussion that way. You never mentioned any of that previously.
Ok, if you have compared a VO / Utopia to the Raal headphones and think they slam "very well", that's more than i've heard, and now i highly respect your opinion (it still is to some degree contrary to others). Because i only read about them up to this point. I will, but that will take a bit more time.
I've not even heard of the JVC SZ2000 before.

Edit: Based on your headphone choices, you seem to value details and technicalities more than dynamics, which is absolutely fair, all i said was that i am not that kind of guy, if the drawback is too much. You also seem to like a more Harman tuned midrange (or can enjoyably listen to it), the midrange of the DCA's and the Utopia was a bit too aggressive for me, so that could be another dealbreaker when it comes to the Immanis.
I agree 100%. The CAs just can't compete on any level, save for tactility/impact and physical durability.

How did you find the bass, specifically impact, between the VM and HSP?
Couple of corrections. Most CA-1a + VM-1a users don’t use the filters. The filters are used mostly by SS users, they are less useful when using tubes. And your statement that CA-1a’s don’t compete on any level is also not accurate to me or plenty of other users who agree that they compete on VALUE for sound quality. Yes they’re behind Magna and Immanis, but when you look at their price/sound value they are exceptional. The CA-1a’s are by far the best route to get the benefits of ribbon drivers at the lowest price.

May 8, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,722 of 1,857
Couple of corrections. Most CA-1a + VM-1a users don’t use the filters. The filters are used mostly by SS users, they are less useful when using tubes. And your statement that CA-1a’s don’t compete on any level is also not accurate to me or plenty of other users who agree that they compete on VALUE for sound quality. Yes they’re behind Magna and Immanis, but when you look at their price/sound value they are exceptional. The CA-1a’s are by far the best route to get the benefits of ribbon drivers at the lowest price.
Sorry, you're right...value should be added to that list. Done.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #1,723 of 1,857
I watched the truck graphic on the UPS tracking site map get closer . . . then farther away . . . then closer . . . then farther away, circling, over and over, throughout the day. Then the estimated delivery time came and went. And the map with the truck graphic disappeared. The conclusion is inescapable: someone at UPS decided it would be fun to F with me today.

But finally . . .

PXL_20240508_221949689.PORTRAIT.jpg

(And yes, of course, I am happy to share impressions, but I have to plug it in and listen to it first).

May 8, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,724 of 1,857
When I listened to the Holo Serene preamp, Danny said to use the 32 Ohm slot on the TI-1b. On my 2-channel amps I use the 16 Ohm slot.

I cannot get into too much detail on the Serene sound since I only listened for a short time. I wanted to spend my limited time to focus on the VM.

May 9, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #1,725 of 1,857
I watched the truck graphic on the UPS tracking site map get closer . . . then farther away . . . then closer . . . then farther away, circling, over and over, throughout the day. Then the estimated delivery time came and went. And the map with the truck graphic disappeared. The conclusion is inescapable: someone at UPS decided it would be fun to F with me today.

But finally . . .

PXL_20240508_221949689.PORTRAIT.jpg

(And yes, of course, I am happy to share impressions, but I have to plug it in and listen to it first).
Congrats, Hope you enjoy them and waiting for your at least first impressions :)
Don't forget to add bass impressions :gs1000smile:

Also seems like more and more are getting their units, seems like they are speeding their production huh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back