Review: Geshelli J2S with Burson V7 Vivid Op Amps
May 5, 2024 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TedB

New Head-Fier
Late summer 2023, I upgraded a Geshelli J2 AKM 4493 to J2S AKM 4499EX, and then upgraded the Sparkos SS3602 op amps to the massive SS2590s, which requires minor trickery for what could be an endgame J2S setup, and indeed it delivers (see J2S with Sparkos SS2590s). Recently, Burson asked if I would like to audition a set of V7s (full disclosure). Being completely satisfied where I was, I did not want to waste their time. After thinking it over for a bit however, I decided to accept and requested the V7 Vivid. This is what I received, so I can tell you about this model (not the V7 Classic). In the meantime, I was careful not to look at any reviews of the V7 such as not to influence my thinking.

The Burson V7 Vivid is an easy install – no surgery or fitment tricks required. The finned cooling case is grooved along one end, making finding the correct orientation simple. There is plenty of headroom available. I even left a DIP 8 adapter in place on one socket and still had no clearance issues in the standard J2 metal case. I received a pair of dual V7s, so I installed them on the balanced XLR outputs, which is what I normally use. The SS2590 remains on the RCA output, so one can see the difference in size in the attached photos.

The setup:
Panamax MR4300 Power Conditioner –> Laptop (Foobar2000) -> Oyaide NEO D+ Class A USB -> Geshelli J2S (12V LPS) -> Belden 8428 Balanced XLR (18AWG tinned OFC) -> Rupert Neve RNHP

Note: The RNHP is a clinical studio headphone amp with straight edge flat response and no coloration.

Headgear:
AKG k712 (open, clinical, detailed, immense soundstage)

Drop HD 6XX (open, warmer, revealing, generous soundstage)

Cerwin Vega HB1 (closed, sharp Harman house curve with subwoofer-like bass)

Observations:
I’ve highly praised the Sparkos SS2590s and assumed I would have this comparison wrapped up in an hour or so. After going through my usual battery of high-res reference tracks and sonic testing with the V7 Vivid, I realized this comparison was going to take more time. Right away, it was clear that the V7 Vivid sounds very, very good.

The V7 Vivid reproduces complex dynamics with excellent clarity and precision. The soundstage is generous with a lively, articulate presentation. I was wondering if perhaps “Vivid” implied a more etched feel with a lean body, but that’s not what I observed. Listening through various headphones revealed no obvious bias or reduction in soundstage as compared to what I was used to hearing. I then switched to my large speaker system and pumped in high-res music with 20-30Hz content. The V7 Vivid reproduced this cleanly, without flabbiness or loss of resolution. I listened to a variety material for hours with complete satisfaction, finding no shortcomings or faults. After enough listening time with the V7 Vivid, I then switched back to the SS2590s, and it is here where I gained a more complete perspective. To break it down to the fine details, I found the Sparkos SS2590 slightly biased more toward low frequency thunder and warmth whereas the V7 Vivid leans more toward air and sparkle, with both imaging very well and neither lacking anywhere in the spectrum. As to which makes the best fit is entirely a matter of taste, like choosing steak or lobster, Malbec or Sauvignon Blanc, ale or lager – one can’t go wrong with either. Where the soundscape is a bit lean on body and weight, the SS2590 brings a bit of girth and warmth. Where the soundscape is a bit warm and laid back, the V7 Vivid brings a bit of energy and sparkle. Content is also a factor. For example, for gaming, video, and electronic music, I may slightly favor the SS2590 with my particular setup, whereas more layered tracks, jazz, and “organic” music, I may slightly favor the V7 Vivid.

Conclusions:
Already being well accustomed to what I felt was the best possible J2S configuration, I had to ask myself if I would be equally happy with the Burson V7 Vivid in the J2S, and I absolutely would. I can conclude the Burson V7 Vivid belongs on the top shelf of op amp options and makes an excellent pairing with the AKM 4499EX.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Headphones.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Late summer 2023, I upgraded a Geshelli J2 AKM 4493 to J2S AKM 4499EX, and then upgraded the Sparkos SS3602 op amps to the massive SS2590s, which requires minor trickery for what could be an endgame J2S setup, and indeed it delivers (see J2S with Sparkos SS2590s). Recently, Burson asked if I would like to audition a set of V7s (full disclosure). Being completely satisfied where I was, I did not want to waste their time. After thinking it over for a bit however, I decided to accept and requested the V7 Vivid. This is what I received, so I can tell you about this model (not the V7 Classic). In the meantime, I was careful not to look at any reviews of the V7 such as not to influence my thinking.

The Burson V7 Vivid is an easy install – no surgery or fitment tricks required. The finned cooling case is grooved along one end, making finding the correct orientation simple. There is plenty of headroom available. I even left a DIP 8 adapter in place on one socket and still had no clearance issues in the standard J2 metal case. I received a pair of dual V7s, so I installed them on the balanced XLR outputs, which is what I normally use. The SS2590 remains on the RCA output, so one can see the difference in size in the attached photos.

The setup:
Panamax MR4300 Power Conditioner –> Laptop (Foobar2000) -> Oyaide NEO D+ Class A USB -> Geshelli J2S (12V LPS) -> Belden 8428 Balanced XLR (18AWG tinned OFC) -> Rupert Neve RNHP

Note: The RNHP is a clinical studio headphone amp with straight edge flat response and no coloration.

Headgear:
AKG k712 (open, clinical, detailed, immense soundstage)

Drop HD 6XX (open, warmer, revealing, generous soundstage)

Cerwin Vega HB1 (closed, sharp Harman house curve with subwoofer-like bass)

Observations:
I’ve highly praised the Sparkos SS2590s and assumed I would have this comparison wrapped up in an hour or so. After going through my usual battery of high-res reference tracks and sonic testing with the V7 Vivid, I realized this comparison was going to take more time. Right away, it was clear that the V7 Vivid sounds very, very good.

The V7 Vivid reproduces complex dynamics with excellent clarity and precision. The soundstage is generous with a lively, articulate presentation. I was wondering if perhaps “Vivid” implied a more etched feel with a lean body, but that’s not what I observed. Listening through various headphones revealed no obvious bias or reduction in soundstage as compared to what I was used to hearing. I then switched to my large speaker system and pumped in high-res music with 20-30Hz content. The V7 Vivid reproduced this cleanly, without flabbiness or loss of resolution. I listened to a variety material for hours with complete satisfaction, finding no shortcomings or faults. After enough listening time with the V7 Vivid, I then switched back to the SS2590s, and it is here where I gained a more complete perspective. To break it down to the fine details, I found the Sparkos SS2590 slightly biased more toward low frequency thunder and warmth whereas the V7 Vivid leans more toward air and sparkle, with both imaging very well and neither lacking anywhere in the spectrum. As to which makes the best fit is entirely a matter of taste, like choosing steak or lobster, Malbec or Sauvignon Blanc, ale or lager – one can’t go wrong with either. Where the soundscape is a bit lean on body and weight, the SS2590 brings a bit of girth and warmth. Where the soundscape is a bit warm and laid back, the V7 Vivid brings a bit of energy and sparkle. Content is also a factor. For example, for gaming, video, and electronic music, I may slightly favor the SS2590 with my particular setup, whereas more layered tracks, jazz, and “organic” music, I may slightly favor the V7 Vivid.

Conclusions:
Already being well accustomed to what I felt was the best possible J2S configuration, I had to ask myself if I would be equally happy with the Burson V7 Vivid in the J2S, and I absolutely would. I can conclude the Burson V7 Vivid belongs on the top shelf of op amp options and makes an excellent pairing with the AKM 4499EX.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgHeadphones.jpg5.jpg
Excellent write-up. Thank you for the comparisons.

May 5, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Nice write-up. I also have similar impressions of the V7 Vivids vs. Sparkos SS2509. I do prefer the Sparkos still (in my Burson Soloist 3X GT), but it's splitting hairs. If size is a consideration, then the V7 Vivids are a great alternative to the Sparkos.

May 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Just a 3 days ago I put in a Burson V7 Classic double into the Geshelli J2 socketed with the AKM 4499. Prior, for a few months now, I've had the Sparkos SS2590. This is in the single ended section. I'm familiar with Burson's V6 classic & vivid; and these were opaque compared to the Sparkos SS2590. I like the V7 Classic's very much. They are not as extended on top as the Sparkos. They are mellower, more forgiving, sweeter--which I like; the V7 Classic are said to be mellower than the Vivid. But alas I'm prejudiced toward mellow top ends, finding too much detail or sibilance or emphasis something to flee. Will switch back in a week to once again freshly listen to the Sparkos.

May 6, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Having just seen Lachlan's review (Passion for Sound on YouTube), he assessed the V7 series as a "big step forward" from the V6, and better than the SS3602, which suggests as per my observations that the V7 is on the same tier as the SS2590. I feel given your comparison between the V7 Classic and SS2590 and my observations with the V7 Vivid as compared to the SS2590, positioning these on a scale from warmer/sweeter to more detailed/energetic (L to R) looks something like: V7 Classic - SS2590 - V7 Vivid.

Just a 3 days ago I put in a Burson V7 Classic double into the Geshelli J2 socketed with the AKM 4499. Prior, for a few months now, I've had the Sparkos SS2590. This is in the single ended section. I'm familiar with Burson's V6 classic & vivid; and these were opaque compared to the Sparkos SS2590. I like the V7 Classic's very much. They are not as extended on top as the Sparkos. They are mellower, more forgiving, sweeter--which I like; the V7 Classic are said to be mellower than the Vivid. But alas I'm prejudiced toward mellow top ends, finding too much detail or sibilance or emphasis something to flee. Will switch back in a week to once again freshly listen to the Sparkos.

May 11, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the J2S 4499 with the Sparkos 3602, and while I don't have the goliath 2590 on hand to compare, I did briefly swap in the V7 Classics. Though I tried to let them burn-in to change the sound signature, I was impressed by the layering in the soundstage the V7C introduced--but everything else was a step back in my experience. The soundstage was truncated both top-bottom AND right-left, and the awesome "Wall of Sound" feeling I got from the 3602s was reduced to a more layered, but significantly smaller end experience. The nuances were definitely there in terms of technicalities, but I was hearing from the eighth- or ninth-row back from the stage with how much quieter all the surrounding instruments became in relation to the voice. Hope this helps.

May 17, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 10
One thing I have noticed with both SS2602 and SS2590s their output appears to be about 2-3 db lower than either the Ti OPA 1612/1656 or Burson V7 with no other changes. I noticed this when I first switched from the Geshelli J2 (AKM 4493/OPA 1656) to J2S (AKM 4499EX/SS3602). I wasn't sure if it was due to the DAC chip or op amps, but when I swapped in the V7 Vivid, the output level suddenly increased, being about on par with what I remembered with the older configuration.

I do concur with lesterpapadopolous above that the V7 Vivid also projects a very layered soundstage. I've been listening to the V7 Vivid continuously, and will soon revert back to the SS2590s while paying close attention to any changes in soundstage width and height I can detect.

May 17, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 10
One thing I have noticed with both SS2602 and SS2590s their output appears to be about 2-3 db lower than either the Ti OPA 1612/1656 or Burson V7 with no other changes. I noticed this when I first switched from the Geshelli J2 (AKM 4493/OPA 1656) to J2S (AKM 4499EX/SS3602). I wasn't sure if it was due to the DAC chip or op amps, but when I swapped in the V7 Vivid, the output level suddenly increased, being about on par with what I remembered with the older configuration.

I do concur with lesterpapadopolous above that the V7 Vivid also projects a very layered soundstage. I've been listening to the V7 Vivid continuously, and will soon revert back to the SS2590s while paying close attention to any changes in soundstage width and height I can detect.
Is it possible you had been using the J2 in its low or mid level volume output setting? When you power off to swap the op-amps, the unit goes back to the default high setting.

May 17, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Is it possible you had been using the J2 in its low or mid level volume output setting? When you power off to swap the op-amps, the unit goes back to the default high setting.

No, because I've never used anything but the highest output setting. That gives the output closest to 0 dBu into the amp with Foobar 2000 replay gain set at -3 dB max output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back