Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 11, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #12,346 of 12,398
Let it run for 4-5 days and don’t power it off before critical Listening and use balanced . SE in older gen Schiit DAC are subjectively inferior to balanced.
yeah I'm using balanced. The LIM will arrive on Monday but by then the unit will have been on for 4 days. Curious if I notice a difference. But once the LIM arrives I'll power down & install it as it seems pretty unanimous that LIM is preferred over A1.

May 11, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #12,347 of 12,398
yeah I'm using balanced. The LIM will arrive on Monday but by then the unit will have been on for 4 days. Curious if I notice a difference. But once the LIM arrives I'll power down & install it as it seems pretty unanimous that LIM is preferred over A1.
A1 board had significant warm up time. Keep it on. You should hear some improvement after 72 hrs.

May 11, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #12,348 of 12,398
SSHHH, I’ve been watching this one waiting for the make offer button to pop up.
Aww. Well ive had success with this store just asking for a discount... they gave me $50 off.

May 11, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #12,349 of 12,398
There's also an A2 OG in black w/ unison on Head-Fi for $1475, posted earlier today.

@Slackaveli I think it might be the unit I tried to buy for $1200 and is getting flipped, but without photos I can't tell. Lmao
that would make sense huh

May 11, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #12,350 of 12,398
Also I guess the other thing I should mention, how many days will it take for the yggy to reach its full potential. I've read reviews say this warmup period doesn't matter, but almost all actual user feedback says to expect it to take 3-5 days or so to reach its full potential. I have no problem leaving it plugged in 24/7. It's been on for about 24 hours since I unplugged it to install the unison USB. Do you guys also think I'll get some treble sparkle & detail and the muddiness will start to clear in the coming days?

Thanks!
it will but also i would recommend going XLR over RCA.

May 11, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #12,351 of 12,398
Wow that’s a stupid low price. I picked up my A2 Unison for $1,800 and I thought that was a steal.
hell thats a thousand off, certainly aint a bad deal.
Dude who sold that one for $1200 didnt know what he had.

May 11, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #12,354 of 12,398
May 11, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #12,355 of 12,398
cool yeah as mentioned only 24 hours in. Also does the LIM also have a significant warmup time or is it shorter? Also does it require "break-in" time?
Yeah unfortunately both warm-up and break-in will still apply but some have said it's less severe than the Analog cards.

May 11, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #12,356 of 12,398
ah, i misread that.
Man I just feel for you bc you just rarely hear of Yggy being disappointing and certainly wasnt the experience for me.
I hope the LiM blows you away.

IDK if you're super comfortable with the card swap or not but here's a good guide just in case. https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...l-gen-5-unison-usb-upgrade-instructions.4842/
exactly. I did days of research and i felt at this pricepoint the yggy was giving the best personal user feedback as well as actual professional review feedback for a dac in $1500-2000 price range. almost went w/ a pontus II which is around the same price as a used yggy but opted for this. I do love R2R sound so I figured it would work.
I guess I'm not good at communicating lol. I already did the USB gen 5 to unison upgrade myself. It was dead simple. Remove some screws and a ribbon cable, then plug n play. Took about 15 mins start to finish. I have the LIM card on the way and I'll crack it open again.
Yeah not sure why I'm not digging the sound so much. I don't have a lot of gear to compare against bc I'm mostly an IEM guy. Which is why I had that portable DAC/Amp on hand to do an A/B test. Worth noting however I also own a hifiman arya. And it does sound quite amazing on the yggy. So I'm perplexed as to why my GL850 sounds sub-par compared to a mobile dac/amp. I hear a lot about DAC/amp synergy, and it could just be that I'm unlucky and the GL850 doesn't synergize well w/ the yggy for some reason. And as much as I like the arya I prefer the AMT driver sound better.
Still too early to tell though. Let's see how the LIM goes, and I'll give it a few weeks to break in. Worst case it goes back up for sale and I'll happily take a loss to give it a good home.

May 11, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #12,357 of 12,398
Yeah thats the best way to look at it. I too was down to the Yggy and Pontus II. Worst case scenario you'll have a LiM to flip AND could probably sell the A1 cards then get a Pontus. But i hope LiM is grand for your ears, Bro.

May 11, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #12,358 of 12,398
Well I did an experiment. Due to the sheer size of the yggy, I needed to buy longer XLR cables so I could locate it a couple feet away from my amp (simply not enough room to stack both on my desk), so I bought some, what I thought, were high quality 6 ft XLR cables on amazon. But they're advertised to be more for use for microphones & not really specifically geared toward hifi audio. Anyway, as a test, I took my old, shorter XLR cables that are designed specifically for audio amplifier use, and I immediately noticed a cleaner sound. It's not mind-blowing mind you, but it absolutely improved the sound.
I had a sneaking suspicion it could have been those XLR cables, but again they weren't cheap, about $35 each.
So based on this, you guys have any XLR cable brands you recommend? I'm firmly in the camp that cable quality can absolutely alter sound. So I'd like to use the best quality XLR cables that this dac deserves (within reason of course). Also explains why RCA sounded better than XLR.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #12,359 of 12,398
Im just using Worlds Best Cables with the Mogami right now but im curious about better interconnect cables too

May 11, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #12,360 of 12,398
Im just using Worlds Best Cables with the Mogami right now but im curious about better interconnect cables too
an XLR cable advertised as a mic cable, even a quality one, isn't going to be built with materials focused on producing optimal sound quality, ie SPC vs pure silver vs 7N OCC copper etc. The mic XLR cables I bought were thicc, so they're likely designed more around durability than their sound quality.
But if you dig around you can absolutely find XLR cables that are designed for hifi audio use and use proper material quality.
Since I want more treble energy I went with pure silver XLRs... snagged these -
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...il_item.3.2578f19c9s9Ysk&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
Quite sure its overkill, but since I'm trying to reach end-game I'm not going to let cheap cables be the reason my rig doesn't live up to its potential. And the thing I like about high quality cables is that if you do get upgrade-itis in the future you can re-use the cables, so I don't mind splurging a bit on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back