Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 9, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #3,166 of 3,202
Do you have any ideas on how to touch up chipped paint. My used M9 has some nothing major but I've been thinking about what kind of "thing" to applied over the chipped areas to prevent it from getting any worse.
So far I haven't found anything that I've been willing to try. Painting magnesium isn't a simple task unfortunately. The two products that I did the most research into are polyurethane paint or sealant and a product called Cerakote.

Polyurethane paint is what I planned to try, but with my increased health issues (very shaky hands and poor dexterity overall) I'm just not comfortable with trying it. I do have a friend who paints figurines for tabletop gaming like D&D and he said he can give them a try. Alas both he and I are very concerned that he might damage something on a pair of relatively expensive IEMs. The sealant would possibly prevent further chipping and cracking, but would not cover up any existing chips or cracks.

Cerakote has a number of formulations and another friend in the medical device industry says they use it for their magnesium shelled devices. Again, it's just not something I'm comfortable to try. And while I hate that the M9 are starting to look like they've been through use on the battlefield, it's just aesthetics. Sound quality is unaffected. Just like the missing L/R rubber plugs, I'm a little less concerned about it right now.

I know at some point I'll have a true failure of the M9 and then I won't be afraid to let my friends try their hand at it. For more info, check out these links:

https://www.finishing.com/faqs/magnesium.shtml

https://www.diygeeks.com/polyurethane-paint-on-metal/

https://www.cerakote.com

May 9, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #3,167 of 3,202
Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3,168 of 3,202
Old_Snake: If I were in your shoes, I would simply just buy the silicon sleeve for IER-M9 sold on AliExpress. Just try searching for this expression "silicon sleeve for SONY IER-M9" there. This way you would at least prevent paint chipping getting worse.
I have bought this sleeve for my IER-Z1R so that the IEM surface does not get scratched. Since then I am a happy camper.

May 10, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #3,169 of 3,202
Old_Snake: If I were in your shoes, I would simply just buy the silicon sleeve for IER-M9 sold on AliExpress. Just try searching for this expression "silicon sleeve for SONY IER-M9" there. This way you would at least prevent paint chipping getting worse.
I have bought this sleeve for my IER-Z1R so that the IEM surface does not get scratched. Since then I am a happy camper.
Thank you! I just ordered a set myself. Good find... I hadn't kept up on developments in the IER-Z1R line that initially saw these protective sleeves in Asia.

BTW - on Amazon.ca it only shows one result showing the IER-Z1R sleeve, but if you look closely it says 2 sizes. So click that link and then choose the sleeve thats for the M9 and M7, which are actually cheaper than the IER-Z1R versions.

May 10, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #3,170 of 3,202
I bought those sleeves and hate them all. Particularly with the Z1R it ruins the fit for me.

Embrace the "patina" :D

Funny how my M7 is older than my M9, and the former still looks like new.

May 10, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #3,172 of 3,202
A friend of mine test listened to my IER-M9. He listened to them like 2 Minutes and then requested me to buy a pair for him in Japan.

I quote "This is the best i've ever heard"
Audiophile hearing lower mids and good treble for the first time.

May 10, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #3,173 of 3,202
On another note, does any feel like the M9's fit is on the large side, despite the nozzle being relatively small. By way of comparison, I use the medium tips with the IE600, small with the B2Dusk, but I have to use SS with the M9. Do you think it's because how it's angled?

May 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #3,175 of 3,202
I bought those sleeves and hate them all. Particularly with the Z1R it ruins the fit for me.

Embrace the "patina" :D

Funny how my M7 is older than my M9, and the former still looks like new.
Still worth a try. A $17 CAD pair of sleeves is a pretty inexpensive form of some protection. Hopefully my ear anatomy can tolerate the fit with the sleeves installed. Won't know for a few weeks - they ship out of Asia and aren't expected until the 1st week of June.

May 11, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #3,176 of 3,202
Can anyone speak to how the M9 compares to the SA6 MK2? Long-term M9 owner and certainly not looking to part with them, but have been tempted to pick up some MK2s just for something new to try,
I sold my dunu sa6 mk2 to raise cash for the m9's, so I never had the chance to do a side by side comparison.

That said, I do not regret the change & would not go back.

I have often heard the term "dull" applied to the m9, but I have never found them to be that way. However, I would definitely describe the dunu's as "uninspired". Great tips though, I now use the Dunu S&S XL on all iems.

May 11, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #3,177 of 3,202
I sold my dunu sa6 mk2 to raise cash for the m9's, so I never had the chance to do a side by side comparison.

That said, I do not regret the change & would not go back.

I have often heard the term "dull" applied to the m9, but I have never found them to be that way. However, I would definitely describe the dunu's as "uninspired". Great tips though, I now use the Dunu S&S XL on all iems.
Thanks for this info, this is super helpful to know. I do love my M9s.

May 11, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #3,178 of 3,202
Thanks for this info, this is super helpful to know. I do love my M9s.
I love mine too :wink:

I think that the dunu would be a step down for you.

May 13, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #3,179 of 3,202
Hey all.

I’m loving my M9 after re-purchasing it a few months back. Probably my favourite earphone still.

I’m still looking for a good DD set to compliment them though and looking for suggestions. Is there a DD set that shares similar warm tonality to M9?

I’ve been tempted to look for Z1R but I’m 99% sure the tonality won’t agree with me long term. I’ve actually managed to get a IE900 on loan from a UK dealer and it’s with me right now…. Technically that are outstanding (not just for the price either!) but, to me, they lean just too bright (not finding them very V shaped as I’ve heard many say, but more bright neutral).

Wondering whether those that have/have heard XBA-N3 might recommend trying to find one of these as a nice complimentary set to M9?

Another set I’m intrigued by is the Dita Perpetua but not at RRP ha.

May 13, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #3,180 of 3,202
Hey all.

I’m loving my M9 after re-purchasing it a few months back. Probably my favourite earphone still.

I’m still looking for a good DD set to compliment them though and looking for suggestions. Is there a DD set that shares similar warm tonality to M9?

I’ve been tempted to look for Z1R but I’m 99% sure the tonality won’t agree with me long term. I’ve actually managed to get a IE900 on loan from a UK dealer and it’s with me right now…. Technically that are outstanding (not just for the price either!) but, to me, they lean just too bright (not finding them very V shaped as I’ve heard many say, but more bright neutral).

Wondering whether those that have/have heard XBA-N3 might recommend trying to find one of these as a nice complimentary set to M9?

Another set I’m intrigued by is the Dita Perpetua but not at RRP ha.
I have the XBA-N3 and the IER-M7 (somewhat similar to M9, less air). The N3 is definitely more fun than the M7; the bass hits hard, with plenty of decay, sounding like a real DD. You will feel more bass presence but also more fun and excitement in the mid-range and treble as well. That said, the N3 benefits from a proper choice of eartips though. Currently I'm using the Divinus Velvets on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back