SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 2, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #15,588 of 15,696
First days with my WM1ZM2 : I'm repeating myself because I've waited so long to get a Sony DAP .
This DAP ( my first Sony DAP in my life ) literally shocked me, in a very positive way.
I'm using it both with my Jewel with Orpheus, and with my Thunder with Pwa First Times.
All through Qobuz . The sound I immediately heard is really incredible, so engaging, natural, musical, rich in details and with that warmth in tube style.
Amazing !
The various DSPs are all superb, adding each of the nuances to an already simply fantastic sound. You would never stop listening to your favourite music 😎
The battery has a much longer life than the DAPs I've had in the past and the DAP also recharges very quickly. Super !
I think I found the DAP with the sound I've been looking for for some time.
And I think I'm now officially a fan of Sony sound . Now I understand why a lot of people love it 😍
Last thing: the WM1ZM2 is simply beautiful !

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #15,589 of 15,696
First days with my WM1ZM2 : I'm repeating myself because I've waited so long to get a Sony DAP .
This DAP ( my first Sony DAP in my life ) literally shocked me, in a very positive way.
I'm using it both with my Jewel with Orpheus, and with my Thunder with Pwa First Times.
All through Qobuz . The sound I immediately heard is really incredible, so engaging, natural, musical, rich in details and with that warmth in tube style.
Amazing !
The various DSPs are all superb, adding each of the nuances to an already simply fantastic sound. You would never stop listening to your favourite music😎
The battery has a much longer life than the DAPs I've had in the past and the DAP also recharges very quickly. Super !
And I think I'm now officially a fan of Sony sound . Now I understand why a lot of people love it 😍
Yep easily one of the best looking DAPs. A lot of the expensive ones have cheap stainless steel cases. The gold plated copper is on another level.

May 2, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #15,591 of 15,696
Amazing !
The various DSPs are all superb, adding each of the nuances to an already simply fantastic sound. You would never stop listening to your favourite music 😎
Hopefully a comparison with the sp3000 and the n30le will come soon 😬😬😬😬😄

May 2, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #15,592 of 15,696
I don't have high end DAPs to compare with but have Shanling M6U which is like 1/3rd the asking price of 1ZM2. M6U is significant step down in performance and I am not talking about subtle nuances here. I am fan of Shanling and Sony so no biases here. 1ZM2 has better Sub Bass and better decay, texture in bass. Although Shanling M6U is warm but feels digital in comparison and doesn't go that deep. Sony feels natural in vocals as comparison to digitally enhanced Vocals presented by M6U. I think I miss the emotive mids moving from 1Zm2 to M6U.
I have seen headphones like ZMF Bokeh and Verum 2 taken to another level with Sony.
M6U gets physically warm and a lot warmer during streaming as well. Sony never gets warm.
I got M6U for a good price in used market and don't feel bad taking out for office commute.
Sony gives me stress while taking out due to the premium price it commands.
in IEMs, Singularity and XE6 are my favorite with Sony.

May 2, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #15,595 of 15,696
Pretty different experience with xe6 and 1zm2 here,...
do you eq 1zm2 for xe6 or run them 'raw' ( direct or little dsp on )?
Since I got customs of XE6, I’m running only with DSEE Ultimate and DC Phase Type B High. No EQ and Vinyl.

I moved from universal to Customs. When I had Universal I would sometime run EQ but would always mess up while doing so.

May 2, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #15,596 of 15,696
I sorta sold 1zm2 for couple reasons..bass bloat , lack of dynamics and 'not a reference sound' among them, and a tad slow for my ultimate p.r.a.t likings ( also 1am2 was a bit faster and lighter in sound , so the switch ..)
It paired and pairs awesomely with multiple cans , planars included btw , but ultimately I found the m9+ more of a reference kind for accuracy bass control general control and timbral rendering , preferred and kept the m9+.
Not to say that 1zm2 is less appealing.. but a bit different and differently tailored , a different appeal : yes.

I have xe6 customs too.

OT curious , how much different you feel your xe6 ciem from the xe6 uiem? - even if from memory , of course

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #15,598 of 15,696
I sorta sold 1zm2 for couple reasons..bass bloat , lack of dynamics and 'not a reference sound' among them, and a tad slow for my ultimate p.r.a.t likings ..
It paired and pairs awesomely with multiple cans ( planars included btw ), but ultimately I found the m9+ more of a reference kind for accuracy bass control general control and timbral rendering , preferred and kept the m9+.
Not to say that 1zm2 is less appealing..but a but different and differently tailored : yes.

I have xe6 customs too.

OT curious , how much different you feel your ce6 ciem from the xe6 uiem? - even if from memory , of course
I totally see and understand your point that’s why I feel for larger audience Singularity is better match with 1ZM2 than XE6.

Also I prefer warmer sound and some mid bass bump. You can see that with all ZMFs I own. It’s same as why some ppl really enjoy ZMF and some not that much. However, I feel DSEE Ultimate does tighten up the bass a bit to avoid that bleed and does give some air to vocals and instruments and may bring it closer to your reference.

May 2, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #15,599 of 15,696
i see and relate completely through your comment , as well , still ..DSEE feels to me like it un-nature the original ( at times raw :/ ) feeling of the recording, sorta tighten and close a bit the stage , notes or instrument position/ space expression are tightened..and on some rec I know well it feels unnatural .
DSEE off usually sounds wider to me anyhow.
I usually stay DSEE off.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #15,600 of 15,696
I sorta sold 1zm2 for couple reasons..bass bloat , lack of dynamics and 'not a reference sound' among them, and a tad slow for my ultimate p.r.a.t likings ( also 1am2 was a bit faster and lighter in sound , so the switch ..)
It paired and pairs awesomely with multiple cans , planars included btw , but ultimately I found the m9+ more of a reference kind for accuracy bass control general control and timbral rendering , preferred and kept the m9+.
Not to say that 1zm2 is less appealing.. but a bit different and differently tailored , a different appeal : yes.

I have xe6 customs too.

OT curious , how much different you feel your xe6 ciem from the xe6 uiem? - even if from memory , of course
Between CIEM and universal the biggest difference is cohesive sound. Universal was mid bassy and warm but at the same time had tons of details coming in as well in upper treble. I always got that feeling of multi driver and CIEM in comparison has subdued upper treble for me and it’s like a warm IEM with some punch and relaxed presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back