Suggestions on cheap desk DAC to pair with P20
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SenyorC

100+ Head-Fier
For my desk at work I am currently using a Topping NX4 DSD to run some Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphones (80Ohm). I am happy with this combination, however...

I just ordered a Loxjie P20 that was on offer to give it a try and would like a desktop DAC to pair with it. I will still keep the NX4 DSD as it works really well, but I wouldn't mind moviing it over to portable/travel duties and getting something that sits desktop a little more.

The Custom Studio's are of course unbalanced, but it isn't a major job to convert them.

This will be running from a Windows 10 machine using foobar (FLAC) and Spotify Premium.

My needs are:
- Under $200 (under $150 would be preferred).
- USB input.
- RCA Outputs
- Functionality from front of unit (not necessary to use a remote)
- Desktop format

My preferences (if possible) are also:
- Balanced outputs
- Headphone amp (in case I don't like listening to the P20 all day)
- Optical output

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 4
To find all those features at <$200, I think your best bet is going to be to watch the Source components for sale forum and buy something used. I'm not sure I know of any device with optical output and the headphone amp in the sub $200 class.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
To find all those features at <$200, I think your best bet is going to be to watch the Source components for sale forum and buy something used. I'm not sure I know of any device with optical output and the headphone amp in the sub $200 class.

To be honest, the "preferred" features are more of a "would like" than a necessity. The issue with buying used is that I am in Spain so shipping and import usually makes things a little cost prohibitive.

I am looking at things like the Topping DX3 Pro which has the headphone amp but only one output (unbalanced), or the SMSL SU-8 that ticks the balanced and unbalanced outs but is missing the headphone amp and seems to need the remote to function correctly (although, now I think about it, I probably wouldn't change the function very often so I could probably live with that).

Maybe I should just focus on a simple DAC like the D10 which at least has the extra outputs (I am guessing that the RCA and optical out on the D10 work simultaneausly?)

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Hard to go wrong with OL-DAC (JDSLabs) or Grace S-dac (Massdrop) as both are less than $100. OL-dac can be had with optical input. Then something like a Magni3 or JDSLabs Atom amp. the pair would run about $200 and should serve you well as a desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back