Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #496 of 571
Friends I trust tell me HD800s really shines on tubes. You disagree?
It does but kinda pointless owning one if you have 1266tc and sus imo

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #497 of 571
It does but kinda pointless owning one if you have 1266tc and sus imo
Got no interest now, but would have been fun to try.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #498 of 571
Friends I trust tell me HD800s really shines on tubes. You disagree?
It depends. There are tube and solid state amps that work well with 800S and there are those that don't. There is no such thing as generic "tube" or "solid state" sound - all function of circuit design.

Also agree makes no sense to get 800S if you already have sus and 1266. I keep mine around for reference only.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #499 of 571
On Envy - 800s hits like a truck and I find it more practically resolving and and separating because of superior imaging than Susvara (maybe even because Susvara images so huge but I think there is more to it) - of course the sub bass is not comparable and Susvara sounds more natural - but Sennheiser dynamic headphone timbre is arguably superior at least for me anyway (not talking about frequency response / tuning)

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #500 of 571
It depends. There are tube and solid state amps that work well with 800S and there are those that don't. There is no such thing as generic "tube" or "solid state" sound - all function of circuit design.

Also agree makes no sense to get 800S if you already have sus and 1266. I keep mine around for reference only.
That's fine up to a point. But as every single chain is different we have to talk about generalities to some degree otherwise there wouldn't be a forum here at all. It wound render every thread about headphones useless.

I think degrees of generalities differentiating between generic tube and SS amps isn't unreasonable imo. Most people are willing to make the rhetorical leap there to understand what's being inferred surely.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #501 of 571

or the opposite, i find hd800S is c--k blocking Susvara and to some degree 1266.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #502 of 571
or the opposite, i find hd800S is c--k blocking Susvara and to some degree 1266.
Well, the inverse is also true, no point getting sus if you already have 800S and are driving them well. 1266 is a bit different and is mutually exclusive from sus/800S, if you are into that kind of sound signature - too wonky for me but may work for specific situation. I see 1266 in the same light as RAAL, good on somethings and bad on others, so not for me.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #503 of 571
That's fine up to a point. But as every single chain is different we have to talk about generalities to some degree otherwise there wouldn't be a forum here at all. It wound render every thread about headphones useless.

I think degrees of generalities differentiating between generic tube and SS amps isn't unreasonable imo. Most people are willing to make the rhetorical leap there to understand what's being inferred surely.
I don't think you understand what I was saying, but that's okay. In time you will get it.

I also think most people (especially when they haven't been in this hobby for years) should read less and go and out and listen to gear more. Reading will not help you hear things.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #504 of 571
On Envy - 800s hits like a truck and I find it more practically resolving and and separating because of superior imaging than Susvara (maybe even because Susvara images so huge but I think there is more to it) - of course the sub bass is not comparable and Susvara sounds more natural - but Sennheiser dynamic headphone timbre is arguably superior at least for me anyway (not talking about frequency response / tuning)
That's my view as well. If we are purely talking about mid range timbre, Utopia 2022 > 800S > Utopia 2020 > all of the planars and estats (other Aperio).

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #505 of 571
I don't think you understand what I was saying, but that's okay. In time you will get it.

I also think most people (especially when they haven't been in this hobby for years) should read less and go and out and listen to gear more. Reading will not help you hear things.
Dude that's multiple times now you've found ways to call me dumb.

I was talking about real world listening. Not just reading. But like in our last exchange about Feliks Envy you're not actually engaging with any of my points.

It's pretty pathetic how much pleasure you obviously derive from talking down to someone on a forum about headphones.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #506 of 571
Stats and Ribbons have a very unique (and similar) analytical and detail first presentation, generally speaking. For the masses, I'm fully aware of how this hurts adoption, but at the same time, I prefer they never stride away from this niche. They've both consistently produced the most resolving headphones, most layered and holographic experience, and for me that's the top goal overall.

Many other people prefer a thicker and denser tone, with a bit of rolled off highs so that there's no fatigue factor. And for those people, I wouldn't really get into stats/ribbons unless you're ok with just focusing on one or two specialty products within those categories.

Agree that the Aperio is ridiculously priced for what it is, but mentioning it as it's one of those few stats that don't really sound like stats. I usually think it's just better to find a dynamic or planar if that's what you're looking for, but the Aperio does do it really well with a great overall presentation. If it could be purchased separately at a cost near the SGL Sr., I'd definitely own it. Probably over the Valkyria.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #507 of 571
Dude that's multiple times now you've found ways to call me dumb.

I was talking about real world listening. Not just reading. But like in our last exchange about Feliks Envy you're not actually engaging with any of my points.

It's pretty pathetic how much pleasure you obviously derive from talking down to someone on a forum about headphones.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Having a different opinion doesn’t mean calling you dumb, and I can help if that’s how you feel. I think you are misguided in the following ways:

1. The $5k you spent on 1 headphone cable can be better allocated to equipment seeing how your dac/source is just okay sounding.

2. Badly designed tube and solid state amps have their respective “sounds”. Well designed amps don’t have a “sound” unless it’s one intended by the designer.

Like I said, if you just go and listen to a couple dozen combinations of high quality gear you will come to the same conclusion and don’t have to rely on forums, shills and other people.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #508 of 571
So, I'm having a summit-fi existential crisis :beyersmile:

I'm considering getting rid of everything and starting over from scratch. The problem is I love my WA33 EE JPS so much. I dunno, maybe I'll keep it. I just have the itch to try something new. New sober life, new summit-fi setup. I'll think it over for a few days. I mean my setup right now is near the very top of summit-fi. Could other things be better? That is the question. I could just sell everything and buy an HE-1, but I like my TCs too much. I think once I get my CFA3 fixed, I'll get a very nice 300b Caberet preamp to start, buy some really good tubes and see what that sounds like. The Primavera is on the top of my buy list. Vinh is sending me a special amp Dana at Danacables made. Let's see how that sounds. I also may go high end solid state for my next amp. Tubes are cool, but they are also annoying.

I like the CFA3, when it's not broken. :beyersmile: I have been curious about trying a better preamp than my WA33 or old 300B 3ES. It could be a temporary solution while I try and figure out what to do next. My modded mDAVE can go. There are better dacs out there I'm sure. I always wanted to go DCS Rossini, but a few people I respect have tried it and don't like it as much as the mDAVE and they didn't even have a modded one.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #509 of 571

I'm considering getting rid of everything and starting over from scratch. The problem is I love my WA33 EE JPS so much. I dunno, maybe I'll keep it. I just have the itch to try something new. New sober life, new summit-fi setup. I'll think it over for a few days. I mean my setup right now is near the very top of summit-fi. Could other things be better? That is the question. I could just sell everything and buy an HE-1, but I like my TCs too much. I think once I get my CFA3 fixed, I'll get a very nice 300b Caberet preamp to start, buy some really good tubes and see what that sounds like. The Primavera is on the top of my buy list. Vinh is sending me a special amp Dana at Danacables made. Let's see how that sounds. I also may go high end solid state for my next amp. Tubes are cool, but they are also annoying.

I like the CFA3, when it's not broken. :beyersmile: I have been curious about trying a better preamp than my WA33 or old 300B 3ES. It could be a temporary solution while I try and figure out what to do next. My modded mDAVE can go. There are better dacs out there I'm sure. I always wanted to go DCS Rossini, but a few people I respect have tried it and don't like it as much as the mDAVE and they didn't even have a modded one.
Get a different dac/source. Do something different on the dac/source side like PBD or Lampi. dCS is still BritFi 😄 Or get a high end vinyl setup - there is the endless money pit but what isn’t 😂

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #510 of 571

Whatever you do, get the new stuff before you sell the Wa33 and compare directly.

Audio-memory is horrible and you'll always wonder wether you "upgraded" or not if you lose access to the Wa33 first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back