T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
May 9, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #481 of 494
I may have missed this in the thread but how do you update firmware w/o the MP200?
You need the custom update cable from T+A or alternatively you can make the update cable yourself if you know what you’re doing. I got the cable through the dealer, for loan.

May 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #482 of 494
You need the custom update cable from T+A or alternatively you can make the update cable yourself if you know what you’re doing. I got the cable through the dealer, for loan.
much obliged

May 18, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #484 of 494
Few days ago I was in contact with T+A about this. They said software and everything would be ready, but they (and other companies) are waiting for the Roon certification (since Roon would belong now to HK, it would be very slow). They were unhappy about it, because they cannot announce a clear date of the release. They would announce it on their homepage. So very likely more than only few weeks.

May 18, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #485 of 494
Few days ago I was in contact with T+A about this. They said software and everything would be ready, but they (and other companies) are waiting for the Roon certification (since Roon would belong now to HK, it would be very slow). They were unhappy about it, because they cannot announce a clear date of the release. They would announce it on their homepage. So very likely more than only few weeks.
That explains the huge delay.
The streaming board has been announced over a year ago

May 19, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #486 of 494
I’m getting the DAC 200 this week on loan to demo.

I read through a lot of of these thread and saw some of the recommended filter settings. Are there any other recommended settings I should set to get a good indication of the sound? For the time being it’s only going to be for PCM. I’m looking for more analog sound.

Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #487 of 494
I’m getting the DAC 200 this week on loan to demo.

I read through a lot of of these thread and saw some of the recommended filter settings. Are there any other recommended settings I should set to get a good indication of the sound? For the time being it’s only going to be for PCM. I’m looking for more analog sound.

Thanks in advance.
All the PCM settings sound good but the best PCM sound for 44.1 or 48KHz will be if you use an excellent oversampling software on a PC to raise it to at least 4x or preferably 8x. The mathematics of oversampling are very clear when using the low latency upsampling filter built in to every modern DAC chip (typically only 64 taps) - you get pre and post-echoes - it’s exactly like the ghost images on an old wireless antenna TV.

May 20, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #488 of 494
All the PCM settings sound good but the best PCM sound for 44.1 or 48KHz will be if you use an excellent oversampling software on a PC to raise it to at least 4x or preferably 8x. The mathematics of oversampling are very clear when using the low latency upsampling filter built in to every modern DAC chip (typically only 64 taps) - you get pre and post-echoes - it’s exactly like the ghost images on an old wireless antenna TV.
I appreciate the reply. Not going to be applicable in my case was right now I’m using an Antipodes K22, and I’m not sure if there’s any settings to do that.

I’m going connect it and let it play and if it sounds good, that’s great if not, I’ll pass. I buy equipment to plug and play and listen to the sound. I hate to play around with filters, etc.

I’m trying this out just to see out of curiosity and scratching an itch. It would be great if I like the sound as I would like to try something different. However I’ve always listened to R2R Ladder NOS DAC’s, and I have a feeling that that all of the detail with the DAC 200 has is going to be at the expense of a meatier and textured presentation.

We shall see (hear).

May 20, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #489 of 494
I appreciate the reply. Not going to be applicable in my case was right now I’m using an Antipodes K22, and I’m not sure if there’s any settings to do that.

I’m going connect it and let it play and if it sounds good, that’s great if not, I’ll pass. I buy equipment to plug and play and listen to the sound. I hate to play around with filters, etc.

I’m trying this out just to see out of curiosity and scratching an itch. It would be great if I like the sound as I would like to try something different. However I’ve always listened to R2R Ladder NOS DAC’s, and I have a feeling that that all of the detail with the DAC 200 has is going to be at the expense of a meatier and textured presentation.

We shall see (hear).
Sounds like you would love what DSD oversampling has to offer. Unfortunately it’s not plug’n’play.

I changed from R2R DAC (Holo Spring 3) to DAC200.

May 20, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #490 of 494
I have a question to the DAC 200 users.
If you use the Roon Ready endpoint, do you see the actual sampling rate?

In Roon you can Oversample or even convert to DSD, however I'm not sure if this is actually active on those Devices using the endpoint via ethernet compared to other outputs.

My MP2000R unfortunately doesn't Display the current Format and sampling rate when using Roon

May 20, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #491 of 494
I have a question to the DAC 200 users.
If you use the Roon Ready endpoint, do you see the actual sampling rate?

In Roon you can Oversample or even convert to DSD, however I'm not sure if this is actually active on those Devices using the endpoint via ethernet compared to other outputs.

My MP2000R unfortunately doesn't Display the current Format and sampling rate when using Roon
The oversampling in Roon is excellent quality. Far better than any algorithm running on chip DAC. Dramatic improvement for sure and what convinced me to go down the rabbit hole of PC based oversampling and ultimately to HQ player. After being floored by the sonic improvements and being aware of all the hype around NOS ladder DACs, I began investigating the mathematics (it helps having degrees in physics and time series analysis which forms all of the basis for digital audio) - that lead me to re-discover what has been known mathematically for at least 50 years and by many (not necessarily in the audio industry) and a huge issue largely ignored in digital audio because engineers/manufacturers simply assumed you can’t hear -70 db strongly correlated noise signals which is WRONG - what you can’t hear is -70 db white random noise but correlated signals are much more audible, and in extreme cases with certain conditions quite easily audible. Measurements work well and improving measured performance works but many of our broad brush assumptions about what is and is not audible are just that, broad brush and not true for every situation.

For sure Roon oversampling works via USB so why would it not work for an Ethernet endpoint - you might best seek an answer over on the Roon forums.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #492 of 494
Sounds like you would love what DSD oversampling has to offer. Unfortunately it’s not plug’n’play.

I changed from R2R DAC (Holo Spring 3) to DAC200.
That’s what I was thinking. My plan is to upgrade my K22 and then it will be easier to use HQP. However right now I want to see if this DAC is in the ballpark using PCM. That’s why I was curious which settings give its best foot forward using PCM.

May 20, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #493 of 494
That’s what I was thinking. My plan is to upgrade my K22 and then it will be easier to use HQP. However right now I want to see if this DAC is in the ballpark using PCM. That’s why I was curious which settings give its best foot forward using PCM.
People seem to love the Bezier 2 filter on the DAC200. Maybe try that one first. Other than the filter setting, there’s not much to change. You can try if the 60khz analog filter setting has any effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back