The discovery thread!
May 12, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #101,311 of 102,874
May 12, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #101,312 of 102,874
@Shanling is developing a high-end planar magnetic headphone. It is very comfortable and exceptionally well made. Tuning is not yet finished but the sound is already very good.
image.jpgimage.jpg

"If you're gonna steal, steal from the best." - Woody Allen :sunglasses:

May 13, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #101,313 of 102,874
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 have rather positive early impression. tough there are some that didn't like the BA sound

Merga is a bit questionable.
Marketing material wise, they seems doesn't skimp on driver but cheap out on shell (all plastic without faceplate), two cable option (the cheap cable, and the silver one) and removing switch to cut cost.
it was speculated that Castor was sold under the planned price due to bad press from KZ marketing rep debacle with crin which cause KZ to cut the price down.

So Merga might be the dual DD with abit healthier profit margin.
Hopefully as good or (finger crossed) a bit better.
If it falls between the single Xun DD Ling and the triple DD Trio in sound, then at the price I paid for it, which was I think $13.00 with the upgrade cable, then I'll be a happy camper. We'll see? twin DD drivers have disappointed me for years. Last good one I can remember was the JVC FXT90.

May 13, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #101,314 of 102,874
May 13, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #101,317 of 102,874
Not sure how many people will remember but about a year ago, maybe a bit less, this thread briefly went crazy over the NiceHCK MeetAlice cable being on sale. A bunch of us bought one and it ended up being a massive let down because it's super stiff and microphonic... Well I've been rocking it on my T800 and now that it's starting to loosen up it's actually a pretty solid cable? I still have better behaved cables but this one is growing on me. It's so chunky and well-made.

No sound impressions because I'm a stark nonbeliever.

On an unrelated note, don't get into Chinese watches. It's the same kind of rabbit hole as ChiFi 😞

And on another unrelated note, caved and ordered the CCA Trio. I need to know what all the buzz is about. I own the KZ EDA Balanced and PR1 Pro. Guess I just wanna see how they've come along since my last KZ purchase? The PR1 Pro is disgustingly close to my T800 in performance. The PR1 Pro even pulls ahead in some cases, it's more natural and airy in some songs. Looking forward to checking out the Trio.

May 13, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #101,318 of 102,874
Is the Mest mk2 still relevant in 2024? It definitely was one of the best back in 2021 but brands have uped the ante and have been making more competitive IEMs around this price, so.. Should you consider Mest mk2 now? Not new definitely but at it's used value which hovers around $800? Can this compete with the Campfire BlackStar?
Here is my comparison and revisited review:

May 13, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #101,319 of 102,874
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 have rather positive early impression. tough there are some that didn't like the BA sound

Merga is a bit questionable.
Marketing material wise, they seems doesn't skimp on driver but cheap out on shell (all plastic without faceplate), two cable option (the cheap cable, and the silver one) and removing switch (but keep the proper crossover) to cut cost
it was speculated that Castor was sold under the planned price due to bad press from KZ marketing rep debacle with crin which cause KZ to cut the price down.

So Merga might be the dual DD with abit healthier profit margin.
Hopefully as good or (finger crossed) a bit better.
KZ has a long history of dual DD … the second ever KZ j bought, like in 2016, was the ZS1 (which was still the most comfortable KZ by far.. I don’t know why they abandoned that design other than tk add removable cables) dang that thing had some astonishing bass but the treble didn’t spound super clear. I’d love to try the set again out of nostalgia but if I remember right, I have them away.

May 13, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #101,320 of 102,874
I chose the EA500LM with my Hiby R3 II for a morning walk today - what a fantastic combo… incredible how the Simgot sound for less than $100!

IMG_3959.jpeg

May 13, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #101,321 of 102,874
KZ has a long history of dual DD … the second ever KZ j bought, like in 2016, was the ZS1 (which was still the most comfortable KZ by far.. I don’t know why they abandoned that design other than tk add removable cables) dang that thing had some astonishing bass but the treble didn’t spound super clear. I’d love to try the set again out of nostalgia but if I remember right, I have them away.
wow ZS1. thats an oldie.
It would be interesting comparison to the latest ZS-series, ZS10 Pro 2.

i enter this hobby during KZ ZS3/ZS5 era.

May 13, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #101,324 of 102,874
Forgot to post my top of the year list (TOTYL) :-

1. Delci
2. Delci
3. TRN ST7 (to be added asap)
4. Aful MagicOne (to be added 11/11)
5. Rhapsody
Still on the fence on delci,
I might wait a bit for aful explorer or just get delci that feels like proper upgrade from the old kz eda balanced.

I loved the old eda balance where listening to each aspect of the music feels so effortless.
---
1715601216144.png

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #101,325 of 102,874
Forgot to post my top of the year list (TOTYL) :-

1. Delci
2. Delci
3. TRN ST7 (to be added asap)
4. Aful MagicOne (to be added 11/11)
5. Rhapsody
I also love the Delci. i was just editing my review for that one haha. Great VFM product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back