The discovery thread!
May 18, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #101,986 of 104,165
Man, I am super pissed with the xDuoo now. It's been 3-4 days since I started testing the XD05 Pro. The main issue is its battery life, man this is a transportable device with the battery backup of a 1900s Chinese smartphone(if they had any). Equipped with a massive 13600mAh battery, the device provides hardly 1:30-2 hours in turbo mode using balanced output and USB input. Even in Eco mode, the device provides hardly 5-6 hours and normal mode hardly giving me 4 hours approx only.

I have mailed them and contacted them through their website, but I have received no replies. Now my last resort is to contact via my known retailer in my country, if they still give me no resolution or proper revert to all this. I am gonna make a god damn video for them. This is not acceptable when reviewers are posting a battery backup of approx 10 hours while the unit lasts hardly 5-6 that too in the lowest gain mode.

Thanks for listening to my rant today. I am just pissed off because i spent close to 900$ with ROHM DAC card and now this is just trouble.

May 18, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #101,987 of 104,165
So we have a legit 4 tunings, from a cold neutral bright one (blue graph), to a more bassy warm neutral presentation in the red graph. The other tunings lie within these 2 extremes:
Tanchjim 4U.jpg
I was a little hyped for this set, unfortunately only 1 viable profile for my taste.

The Aful Explorer graph looks delicious. I think it'll be a blind buy as I have nothing Aful in my collection.

Just a pic of todays listening kit.

IMG_0081.JPEG

The Shanling H2 is pretty impressive feature and sound-wise. 140 USD with a CS43198, are you kidding me?

May 18, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #101,988 of 104,165
Man, I am super pissed with the xDuoo now. It's been 3-4 days since I started testing the XD05 Pro. The main issue is its battery life, man this is a transportable device with the battery backup of a 1900s Chinese smartphone(if they had any). Equipped with a massive 13600mAh battery, the device provides hardly 1:30-2 hours in turbo mode using balanced output and USB input. Even in Eco mode, the device provides hardly 5-6 hours and normal mode hardly giving me 4 hours approx only.

I have mailed them and contacted them through their website, but I have received no replies. Now my last resort is to contact via my known retailer in my country, if they still give me no resolution or proper revert to all this. I am gonna make a god damn video for them. This is not acceptable when reviewers are posting a battery backup of approx 10 hours while the unit lasts hardly 5-6 that too in the lowest gain mode.

Thanks for listening to my rant today. I am just pissed off because i spent close to 900$ with ROHM DAC card and now this is just trouble.

That battery performance does not seem right. Have you tried normal, old charger? Some of these Chifi devices do not work with the new PD standard.

Hopefully someone can fix the problem for you.

🗿🗿🗿

I was a little hyped for this set, unfortunately only 1 viable profile for my taste.

The Aful Explorer graph looks delicious. I think it'll be a blind buy as I have nothing Aful in my collection.

Just a pic of todays listening kit.

IMG_0081.JPEG

The Shanling H2 is pretty impressive feature and sound-wise. 140 USD with a CS43198, are you kidding me?

Such a handsome device. Is there any problem with sensitivity and low impedance IEM?

May 18, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #101,989 of 104,165
The Tanchjim 4U is a DMT-4 LCP DD IEM.

4U 2.jpg

The zinc alloy shells fit very well, they are small bean shaped designs akin to those Shure-type housings. There's a mirror-like faceplate, it definitely looks elegant, but may be a potential scratch or fingerprint magnet (so do baby them carefully!).

4U 1.jpg

Unlike the run-of-the-mill tuning switch or nozzle craze, the 4U - as per its namesake - has four tuning options via an adjustable rotary bass dial, something similar to the Sennheiser IE80S. This involves using a screwdriver-like tool to turn the dial - it turns easily enough, but this will require good eyesight and steady hands.

So we have a legit 4 tunings, from a cold neutral bright one (blue graph), to a more bassy warm neutral presentation in the red graph. The other tunings lie within these 2 extremes:
Tanchjim 4U.jpg

After playing around with the dial, I preferred the red bassiest config (haha I like my bass). This isn't a basshead set even on this configuration, with a 7 dB bass shelf. Bass is punchy, though not with the deepest rumble. Speed and texturing are decent. The midrange is transparent and clean, with a 7 dB ear gain translating to forward vocals without shout. Treble has decent extension without much sibilance.

Pretty well balanced tonally, all things considered. Fans of something thinner and leaner can opt for the less bassy dials of course.

Timbre is excellent and ultra-natural, as expected of a single DD. When I spoke to the HIFIGO rep at Can Jam Singapore, the estimated release pricing would be sub $100 USD; technicalities are at least above average for a single DD at sub-$100 USD, imaging in particular is quite strong on this IEM. Will need to do further A/B comparisons against other benchmarks and report back, but this is a set worthy of consideration for timbre lovers that want something balanced and versatile.
Tanchjim was always a company I held close to my heart after having the Hana 2021, but that Origin switchable nozzle drama quickly crossed them off he list of those whom I'd want to support. 4U looks like a fresh offering with interesting looks and a more usable switch, despite a weird choice of bass levels where the lower two are hardly usable to be honest.

May 18, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #101,990 of 104,165
That battery performance does not seem right. Have you tried normal, old charger? Some of these Chifi devices do not work with the new PD standard.

Hopefully someone can fix the problem for you.
Tried everything man, they themselves recommend chargers above 5V 2A, i have tested it with 5V 2A, 9V 3A, and i guess 12V chargers as well. Still the same issue.

May 18, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #101,991 of 104,165
Such a handsome device. Is there any problem with sensitivity and low impedance IEM?
The H2 is absolutely silent, no hissing whatsover. I just tested switching cellular as well as wifi connection on and off while the device is pressed flush with the smartphone. Not the slightest interference noise.

May 18, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #101,992 of 104,165
Anyone here try the Tipsy TTROMSO? Crinacle shat on it but otherwise has decent reviews, and as previously mentioned Paul praised it for it’s low volume listening being well-balanced at that level with a spacious field.
I have the Tipsy TTROMSO and I do like it. Though Crinacle maybe didn’t relate with the bottom heavy stage, I found certain cables would increase pace and keep the wonderful stage in place. I really like it, it is also a little bit unique in how it goes through life, and that is special to me. Nothing sounds exactly like it. I took it upon myself to also correct your spelling of TTROMSO! Low volume listening as it has authority on all volumes, but sounds better louder than low in my book? It is probably worth the money even now all these years later?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tipsy-ttromso-pinestone-sea.25757/reviews

I reviewed it in March 2022, fitment is so cool!

17848757-7907-4882-A719-A24662FFA135.jpeg

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #101,993 of 104,165
The Tanchjim 4U is a DMT-4 LCP DD IEM.

4U 2.jpg

The zinc alloy shells fit very well, they are small bean shaped designs akin to those Shure-type housings. There's a mirror-like faceplate, it definitely looks elegant, but may be a potential scratch or fingerprint magnet (so do baby them carefully!).

4U 1.jpg

Unlike the run-of-the-mill tuning switch or nozzle craze, the 4U - as per its namesake - has four tuning options via an adjustable rotary bass dial, something similar to the Sennheiser IE80S. This involves using a screwdriver-like tool to turn the dial - it turns easily enough, but this will require good eyesight and steady hands.

Tanchjim 4U.jpg

After playing around with the dial, I preferred the red bassiest config (haha I like my bass). This isn't a basshead set even on this configuration, with a 7 dB bass shelf. Bass is punchy, though not with the deepest rumble. Speed and texturing are decent. The midrange is transparent and clean, with a 7 dB ear gain translating to forward vocals without shout. Treble has decent extension without much sibilance.

Pretty well balanced tonally, all things considered. Fans of something thinner and leaner can opt for the less bassy dials of course.

Timbre is excellent and ultra-natural, as expected of a single DD. When I spoke to the HIFIGO rep at Can Jam Singapore, the estimated release pricing would be sub $100 USD; technicalities are at least above average for a single DD at sub-$100 USD, imaging in particular is quite strong on this IEM. Will need to do further A/B comparisons against other benchmarks and report back, but this is a set worthy of consideration for timbre lovers that want something balanced and versatile.
Very interested in this one. I have been waiting patiently all these years for a Kato upgrade. As you know I'm mainly looking for a DD iem that has natural and thick male vocals due to the religious recitations I listen to. Do you think this one is an upgrade over that iem for my use case?

May 18, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #101,994 of 104,165
Very interested in this one. I have been waiting patiently all these years for a Kato upgrade. As you know I'm mainly looking for a DD iem that has natural and thick male vocals due to the religious recitations I listen to. Do you think this one is an upgrade over that iem for my use case?
Maybe have a look at HiBy Project Ace? It biases towards male vocal more than female vocal, which is a bit rare nowadays.

May 18, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #101,995 of 104,165
Music discovery! Just the job for my big boys via the Venture Electronics Megatron.

1000013441.jpg

1000013443.jpg

May 18, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #101,996 of 104,165

Bro this one is thinner in male vocals than the Kato, especially on the less bassy settings. Knowing your preferences, probably not an upgrade over the KATO.

Tanchjim was always a company I held close to my heart after having the Hana 2021, but that Origin switchable nozzle drama quickly crossed them off he list of those whom I'd want to support. 4U looks like a fresh offering

Yeah the Origin nozzles were gimmicks. This one at least has real changes on the tuning dial. I suspect though that those with poor hand-eye-coordination might have issues turning the small dial with the screwdriver thing, but it is good to see something a bit different from the weekly tuning nozzles/switches.

May 18, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #101,997 of 104,165
I have the Tipsy TTROMSO and I do like it. Though Crinacle maybe didn’t relate with the bottom heavy stage, I found certain cables would increase pace and keep the wonderful stage in place. I really like it, it is also a little bit unique in how it goes through life, and that is special to me. Nothing sounds exactly like it. I took it upon myself to also correct your spelling of TTROMSO! Low volume listening as it has authority on all volumes, but sounds better louder than low in my book? It is probably worth the money even now all these years later?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tipsy-ttromso-pinestone-sea.25757/reviews

I reviewed it in March 2022, fitment is so cool!

17848757-7907-4882-A719-A24662FFA135.jpeg
Much appreciated!

May 18, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #102,000 of 104,165
You don't check in here 1 day, you'll missed 5 pages nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back