The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #7,396 of 17,484
Dears,

What are the requirements s for cue files reading on X3? I have plenty of vinyl rips in flac (in the single file per side) with cue sheets, but when I browse the folders X3 displays flac files only. I encoded .cue into ISO 8859-1 code page and no luck. Any ideas? 

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #7,397 of 17,484
Can a person put their music in folders artist/album/track#-title and then load albums from a folder view on the X3? Everything I use is setup to hit artist and then pick albums from that artist. I'm really close to getting the X3 but that might be a deal breaker. My tags are about 98% perfect both flac and 256 MP3. I really want to get away from the iTunes world and I only use it to load music on my classic. I may just have to get an Fiio dac/amp for it and try mediamonkey again.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7,398 of 17,484
Can a person put their music in folders artist/album/track#-title and then load albums from a folder view on the X3? Everything I use is setup to hit artist and then pick albums from that artist. I'm really close to getting the X3 but that might be a deal breaker. My tags are about 98% perfect both flac and 256 MP3. I really want to get away from the iTunes world and I only use it to load music on my classic. I may just have to get an Fido dac/amp for it and try mediamonkey again.

Yes, that's probably the easiest way to keep everything in order, though may not be the most efficient/fastest if you have a ton of music. I'm slowly building my folders, but now that it's getting sizeable, it's getting harder to sift through them.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7,399 of 17,484
Can a person put their music in folders artist/album/track#-title and then load albums from a folder view on the X3? Everything I use is setup to hit artist and then pick albums from that artist. I'm really close to getting the X3 but that might be a deal breaker. My tags are about 98% perfect both flac and 256 MP3. I really want to get away from the iTunes world and I only use it to load music on my classic. I may just have to get an Fiio dac/amp for it and try mediamonkey again.

That's how my folder structure is on the X3. If I want to play something specific I search by folder. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #7,400 of 17,484
  Checked the other Treads and___have a question,
The power-charger I have is very small, 
ordered new one from B&H __the salesman did research then said this one was the one,
paid and waiting for it to arrive.

will this be an overload___ would dislike `frying' the X3___
Yes  have read the X3 PDF__but is  not that clear.

Thanks in advanced!

Those spec are almost identical to the one I have. It'll charge from shutdown to full in ~ 4hrs just using 1 port. Not sure what the time would be if I tried charging 2 things simultaneously. The only drawback is that if I try to listen while charging, the X3 gets rather warm. Quite a bit hotter than if charging while in DAC mode on my laptop.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #7,401 of 17,484
  Dears,

What are the requirements s for cue files reading on X3? I have plenty of vinyl rips in flac (in the single file per side) with cue sheets, but when I browse the folders X3 displays flac files only. I encoded .cue into ISO 8859-1 code page and no luck. Any ideas? 

From what I remember your .cue file has to be named the same as your .flac. (eg - title.cue & title.flac). Been a while since I tried cue and it was a little wonky when I tried to skip tracks, but that was a few firmwares ago so it might have been fixed by now. No idea about iso/utf/whatever encoding though....

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #7,405 of 17,484
  From what I remember your .cue file has to be named the same as your .flac. (eg - title.cue & title.flac). Been a while since I tried cue and it was a little wonky when I tried to skip tracks, but that was a few firmwares ago so it might have been fixed by now. No idea about iso/utf/whatever encoding though....

Thanks a lot Trev, it works!:)

To consolidate how I got .cue working for me:

1.Initial stuff - I had 2 flac files from vinyl rip (RockSomething Side A.flac and RockSomething Side B.flac), 1 cue file where all tracks from both flacs are listed.
2. I duplicated cue to second file and renamed both as per flac names - RockSomething Side A.cue and RockSomething Side B.cue.
3. Next I adjusted both cue files - I removed Side B tracks from Side A.cue and vise versa in Side B.cue
4. Both cue files encoded in ISO 8859-1, one of the ANSI code pages. What I found here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/701882/what-is-ansi-format that you may use on of the following code pages:
Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as ANSI encoding. The term ANSI is used for several different encodings:
  • ISO 8859-1
  • Windows CP1252
  • Current system encoding on a Windows machine (in Win32 API terminology).
5. What I have now - when I browse the folder with 2 .flac and 2 .cue I see all track files separately and nothing more.

Hope this will help for the future requests about non-working cue sheets.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #7,406 of 17,484
Originally Posted by CalliopeK

The current firmware doesn't operate in a file-artist-album mode, and that's one of my biggest complaints. In the menu, you have a choice of "artist", "album" and "genre", and if you choose "artist", all of that artist's songs are together, unsorted. It's a major pain. I had no trouble adding thousands of files, however. I added my music alphabetically from my MS library, one letter at a time. The X3 (so far) has sold me in terms of the audio quality. It's amazing.

I'm kind of curious about your situation. I have never once even looked at the artist, album and genre category functionality. Instead I just browse the file system. With the exception of various artists discs, I have a folder for each artist and each album by that artist. So using the browse files feature I can easily select an artist and then an album. (I think I may also also play all by an artist but I'm not certain). At any rate, this is a method you might use. Unless you don't use separate folder for albums/artists. If you don't, what do you do? One folder stuffed with too much stuff?  :wink:

And to be truthful, 95% of the time I just use the play all random function. What a nice radio station it provides.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #7,407 of 17,484
Originally Posted by CalliopeK

The current firmware doesn't operate in a file-artist-album mode, and that's one of my biggest complaints. In the menu, you have a choice of "artist", "album" and "genre", and if you choose "artist", all of that artist's songs are together, unsorted. It's a major pain. I had no trouble adding thousands of files, however. I added my music alphabetically from my MS library, one letter at a time. The X3 (so far) has sold me in terms of the audio quality. It's amazing.

if you do it as in this image, you can use "BROWSE"mode and they'll be in order.

and if you all tagged them right, you can now also properly see them in order in the artist, album, and genre categories.

ROOT / Muse / Random 1-8 / Muse - 2000 - Random 1-8 - 1 -01 - Host.flac
ROOT / ARTIST / ALBUM / ARTIST - YEAR - ALBUM - DISCNUMBER - TRACKNUMBER - TRACKNAME

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #7,410 of 17,484
Wow, CH23, that's most helpful! Thanks!

one more addition: if you want to rename, refolder, and/or tag a lot of music, use mp3tag. this program works miracles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back