The PENON official thread
May 19, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #13,846 of 13,977
The discount on the OCC849 got me, that’s a nice lookin cable.

finally ordered the Liqeuer tips as well.

May 19, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #13,847 of 13,977
IMG_5631.jpeg

L to R: Volt, Voltage, Impact.

Voltage is actually pretty small considering there are 10 drivers, including 2 DDs, in each shell. I hope my photos so far somehow convey my wonder at how Penon managed to maximise its use of space in a shell this size, but here’s the usual comparison to drive it home. Despite having one more DD and two more BAs, it’s very similar to the Volt in size and shape, with the Volt having the slightly longer faceplate.

Is it worth having these and Impact? What’s the key differences in your opinion?

Yes if you’re a fan of DD bass (which I gather you might be, as a Trifecta owner). It’s ironic that the more impactful bass doesn’t belong to Impact. But anyway, it gives the bass and sub bass regions a totally different character and adds note weight and authority to the presentation. And having the switches up just pushes it even further from Impact territory.

When I first heard the Quattro, I recall thinking: this is bass I wanted the Impact to have. Of course it isn’t; it would have been utterly incoherent and a complete mess if transplanted directly into the Impact. But Penon have refined it, turned the bass into a faster, more visceral, harder edged beast, and somehow tuned the DDs to work seamlessly with the Voltage BAs.

Impact and Voltage are more similar further up. I’m mostly enjoying Voltage at the moment and haven’t A/B’d them substantially but my feeling is that Voltage has more depth which adds to the overtly holographic layering, and that Impact still is resolving more information ultimately.

No comment on the treble just yet as the Impact’s ESTs are fully burnt in and the Voltage’s likely has some way to go.

May 19, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #13,848 of 13,977
When I first heard the Quattro, I recall thinking: this is bass I wanted the Impact to have. Of course it isn’t; it would have been utterly incoherent and a complete mess if transplanted directly into the Impact. But Penon have refined it, turned the bass into a faster, more visceral, harder edged beast, and somehow tuned the DDs to work seamlessly with the Voltage BAs.

Dammit. Think I’m going to need to get one now 🤯. One of the biggest draws with a good all BA is if it’s at least extremely coherent (as a trade off for not being DD).

I had similar thoughts on Quattro when I owned it before selling off.

Thanks for your thoughts!

May 19, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #13,849 of 13,977
May 19, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #13,850 of 13,977
If you has to choose one between voltage & monachaa, which one would you choose ?

Thanks
I would have to say Voltage, though it is such a different ballgame when you're hearing all DDs like Monachaa. For instance, the deepest subbass of Monachaa is deeper than that of Voltage, but not enough to make the difference between all that Voltage does bring to the table. Mids, upper mids, treble extension on Voltage is flat out better than Monachaa, to me. There is also a bit more mid bass in Voltage, which I find particularly appealing.

Voltage is a true deal in this hobby, it's just that Penon fanboys (like me) are not using to spending so much on Penon. Since I've spent a fair amount on others, I jumped at this opportunity and will not look back or sell the Voltage.

But I see the conundrum. Penon fans are generally used to spending less, and the guys who spend a lot don't usually pay much attention to Penon, so who's gonna buy the Voltage?? Smart folks from both camps, methinks. The word will get out eventually, it's too good not to.

May 19, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #13,851 of 13,977
how does one get the slightly nicer price from Penon on the Voltage, from an email or what not?

May 19, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #13,853 of 13,977
May 20, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #13,856 of 13,977
Can anyone help explain how good the bass texture (quality, not quantity) on Voltage is? Compared to other Penon DD bass sets or flagship DD bass like Z1R?

May 20, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #13,857 of 13,977
I haven't heard the Voltage but I tried to research and piece together info before making my purchase decision, and I'm thankful to the several people who have shared impressions already.

From what I've read, I'm certain it's worth its price (or even more). According to the sole review for now, Impact has superior mids while Voltage has better bass and more treble after tuning switch boost. Opinions on how holographic it is seem divided from the few impressions so far (I recall one said Impact, one said Voltage?). The resolution seems to be less than the $3K+ options. Currently, if I were to guess which tier the Voltage is in, I would guess it is an alternative to the Thieaudio Prestige Ltd, Monarch Mk2, Monarch Mk3.

-Monarch Mk2 is tuned to more more accurate, flat, and could be perceived as boring by some.
-Monarch Mk3 is studio neutral with slightly increased bass and treble to create a more engaging/fun version of Mk2.
-Prestige Ltd is a neutral monitor with a focus on upper treble extension utilizing 4 ESTs and refining the treble of the original Prestige.
-Voltage feels like it is around the same tier with tuning differences. It looks like the Prestige Ltd but toning down on the treble extension while still utilizing 4 ESTs, then getting a warmer and more fun sound from the low end. The Voltage seems to offer a version that is more colored than the above 3 with the tuning switches on.

Early bird discount is tempting but I'm trying not to impulse buy. I'm wondering how close/far my analysis is.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #13,858 of 13,977
Can anyone help explain how good the bass texture (quality, not quantity) on Voltage is? Compared to other Penon DD bass sets or flagship DD bass like Z1R?

The texture and quality from de Voltage bass is excellent, unfortunately I can't comparte with Z1R)

I haven't heard the Voltage but I tried to research and piece together info before making my purchase decision, and I'm thankful to the several people who have shared impressions already.

From what I've read, I'm certain it's worth its price (or even more). According to the sole review for now, Impact has superior mids while Voltage has better bass and more treble after tuning switch boost. Opinions on how holographic it is seem divided from the few impressions so far (I recall one said Impact, one said Voltage?). The resolution seems to be less than the $3K+ options. Currently, if I were to guess which tier the Voltage is in, I would guess it is an alternative to the Thieaudio Prestige Ltd, Monarch Mk2, Monarch Mk3.

-Monarch Mk2 is tuned to more more accurate, flat, and could be perceived as boring by some.
-Monarch Mk3 is studio neutral with slightly increased bass and treble to create a more engaging/fun version of Mk2.
-Prestige Ltd is a neutral monitor with a focus on upper treble extension utilizing 4 ESTs and refining the treble of the original Prestige.
-Voltage feels like it is around the same tier with tuning differences. It looks like the Prestige Ltd but toning down on the treble extension while still utilizing 4 ESTs, then getting a warmer and more fun sound from the low end. The Voltage seems to offer a version that is more colored than the above 3 with the tuning switches on.

Early bird discount is tempting but I'm trying not to impulse buy. I'm wondering how close/far my analysis is.

After having had Impact and MMK3, I can safely say that Voltage Resolution is not far behind Impact.

On the other hand, it is an iem that is 2 or 3 steps above MMK3, it is more natural, more resolution, more soundstage, significantly more holographic, in my opinion, it is at a different level.

MMK3 competes well with the rest of the 1K iems

Voltage competes well with iems from 2 to 3K :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #13,859 of 13,977
The texture and quality from de Voltage bass is excellent, unfortunately I can't comparte with Z1R)

After having had Impact and MMK3, I can safely say that Voltage Resolution is not far behind Impact.

On the other hand, it is an iem that is 2 or 3 steps above MMK3, it is more natural, more resolution, more soundstage, significantly more holographic, in my opinion, it is at a different level.

MMK3 competes well with the rest of the 1K iems

Voltage competes well with iems from 2 to 3K :)
From your comment, I would blind buy with the early bird discount if I wasn't waiting/saving for the Storm right now. So it sits approx. one step above $1k and one (or half) step below $3k, then it's up to tuning preference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back