The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 9, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #3,646 of 3,728
On the solid state side Violectric has been busy. They added a couple new V3 series amps and a new entry level (V101) for future release.
Also the V281 Limited Edition is available now. The V222 is my favorite SS amp I currently use and love it with my ZMFs. I've been on the fence for the V281-LE but these new units are very intriguing and I like the update of moving the gain switching to the front. These photos were shared on the Headfi V222/202 thread coming from Vio's social media posts.

1715286545691.png 1715286657057.png

Looking forward to checking out these new developments maybe at next year's CanJam NYC.
If people want VU meters, they get VU meters. On every new release these days. I am guilty as I love them too, but I keep seeing them everywhere now, which takes away a little bit from that special, quirky fun appearance. VU meters are actually not always necessary from an aesthetic point of view.

May 9, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #3,647 of 3,728
They are La RadioTechnique EL39.

The EL38 are probably the most transparent, dynamic then the EL37 adds some warmth and richness. Not quite as dynamic but very good balance. The EL39 just adds more richness and texture to the bass. As I mentioned earlier, the choice of rectifier can make a big difference to the final balance 😀
Thanks for the info!

May 9, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3,648 of 3,728
Regarding DACs around the $1,000 mark, the Holo Cyan 2 is becoming very well regarded in price-to-performance. I can't speak to it directly just yet but I have one on order so hopefully in a couple weeks. @betula also has the HA-3A and Cyan 2 and from what I gather is a big fan of both.

Would love to read about your impressions and how Cyan 2 compares with Frerot.

May 9, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #3,649 of 3,728
I would love to hear these 2 great amps side by side, the McChanson Super UltimatE and the Aegis. They use very similar tubes, the UltimatE sounds awesome with ZMF headphones.

PXL_20240509_184628799 (2).jpg
YES me too , hopefully someone can compare one day . Not many of us with UltimatE's though
IMG_2235.jpeg

May 9, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #3,650 of 3,728
Thanks for the replies, all.

Yeah, the HA-3A is what I’m trending towards right now. Any recommendations on tubes? I don’t have all that much experience with tube rolling.

In the Schiit realm of things, any thoughts on the Bifrost?
The Bifrost is very impressive for the price. That being said, I've also owned the Gumby and I'm with AudioDuck - if you can find a used Gungnir Multibit it's definitely a step up.

May 9, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #3,651 of 3,728
Would love to read about your impressions and how Cyan 2 compares with Frerot.
I'll do my best to give some impressions once I've compared the two - I don't anticipate the Cyan 2 will outright beat the Frerot out of the box, but I'm really interested in its capabilities when used with HQPlayer.

May 9, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #3,652 of 3,728

Yeah, the HA-3A is what I’m trending towards right now. Any recommendations on tubes? I don’t have all that much experience with tube rolling.

Bifrost can’t compete. You’ll need at least an Yggy GS2. The sound upgrade is drastic.

May 10, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #3,654 of 3,728
Super curious how you find the ECC35 in this combo (as I have the EL37 and GZ34)

Vu meters are the thing these days... :wink:

Having the gain setting upfront vs. hard-to-reach dip switches is a nice change
@goldwerger Yeah, that would be an interesting combo. From what I've read they are similar to the 5691 but with more richness. I love the transparent feel of the red base 5691 but if the ECC35 offer a slightly warmer, richer sound they will be very useful when tweaking output... especially with the EL37 & EL38's.

Just going to your previous post, I'd say the word to describe the Elrog 274b is expansive. It's similar to the GZ34, as in it's detailed well balanced across the range. Good tight bass, not excessive though. If I go to the Brimar 5R4GY afterwards, I feel it's a little drier and the tail off after the notes are played tails off faster. Deeper stage as well. For me, in my system I feel it adds a healthy dollop of realness (if that's a thing). I would love to be able to try the Tak 274b. By all accounts that is another very good tube! One day :L3000:

I'm still getting used to using the impedance dial on the front... keep getting up out of my chair only to realise I can just reach it from my seat :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #3,655 of 3,728
if the ECC35 offer a slightly warmer, richer sound they will be very useful when tweaking output... especially with the EL37

Sounds like something I’d want to try with EL37..

I'm still getting used to using the impedance dial on the front

If there were two things I could change on the DIY it would be to move the impedance up to the front and add a 4-pin XLR out. You have done it right

May 12, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #3,656 of 3,728

I assume you’re referring to the current Bifrost 2/64. It’s a top notch DAC. Some people like the 2 a little better compared to the 2/64, but both are excellent.

I have a 2 and a Yggy LIM- the LIM is a little less thick sounding and is more detailed / clear than the BF2. Comparing the Bifrost 2 to my older DACs (Schiit Modi+ and Topping D50) both the 2 and the LIM are thicker, more natural and more lively in their presentation.

Hope that helps, and I should add that while the differences are audible, they’re small. You’ll hear a much bigger difference between a tube amp and SS amp or between headphones. I wouldn’t worry too much about the DAC until you’ve settled on an amp and gotten to know it so you can select a DAC that pairs well with it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #3,657 of 3,728
Hope that helps, and I should add that while the differences are audible, they’re small. You’ll hear a much bigger difference between a tube amp and SS amp or between headphones.
As someone who has felt the occasional upgrade itch to move from my beloved Gungnir MB to an Yggy (GS2, OG, or LIM), I find your statement reassuring, thank you.

The Gumby does so well both in my two-channel setup as well as with my headphones that any gains with a swap to an Yggy really doesn’t seem worth it… 😅

May 12, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #3,658 of 3,728
As someone who has felt the occasional upgrade itch to move from my beloved Gungnir MB to an Yggy (GS2, OG, or LIM), I find your statement reassuring, thank you.

The Gumby does so well both in my two-channel setup as well as with my headphones that any gains with a swap to an Yggy really doesn’t seem worth it… 😅
Swapping in a Yggy may or may not be worth it. You’re definitely at the point where synergy is more important. Depending on your tube choices, I could see preferring any of the above. I say, if you love the way it sounds now, why change?

I bought the Yggy (and MJ3) because I sold some knives I made and suddenly had a decent amount of money (one hobby subsidizing the other). It was more of an impulse buy than a need. Yes, it sounds better than the BF2, but happy with the BF2 and could have happily stayed with it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #3,659 of 3,728

I was going to upgrade from a bifrost 2/64 to a Gumby but saw a local deal for a Yggy+ LIM. Was too good to pass up. Definitely some magic.

May 12, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #3,660 of 3,728
I say, if you love the way it sounds now, why change?
Exactly, very wise point.

Most of the time now (as I noted in a post yesterday) I really wouldn’t change a thing in my current setup, and will simply add a Caldera Closed with a Norne Audio cable in a few months.

To make room for that, I’ll reluctantly sell my Bocote Eikon and its matching stand… the poor thing isn’t getting much listening time these days as the Atrium Closed scratches the sub-bass itch when it hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back