THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 17, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #511 of 1,085
It's nice to see a headphone edition of the Watercooler, thanks for creating it @goldwerger!

I've been focused on my headphone gear over the past couple of years, and while I posted a bit in the early days of the OG 'Cooler, I just couldn't keep up - that thread moves so fast (as does the IEM market)! I'm about 2k pages behind.

Welcome! Great to have you here!!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

May 17, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #512 of 1,085
Enjoy and make sure to leave impressions when the DAC returned
For sure. Want to roll some driver tubes with Storm first then I'll jump onto pairing with these. Pretty sure they'll vibe well with same tubes used for Storm tbh.

May 17, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #513 of 1,085
Nvm...

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #514 of 1,085
It's nice to see a headphone edition of the Watercooler, thanks for creating it @goldwerger!

I've been focused on my headphone gear over the past couple of years, and while I posted a bit in the early days of the OG 'Cooler, I just couldn't keep up - that thread moves so fast (as does the IEM market)! I'm about 2k pages behind.

I'll echo @SemperMalum and recommend the Pangea racks. Mine is the Vulcan one, with parawood shelves. It's attractive and the wood is good quality. I also stole an idea from another head-fier about using these IKEA cubes to store and display my headphones:

IMG_8126.jpeg

For a stand that can accommodate 3 headphones, check out the upcoming ZMF mega Salire.
I love your tasteful shelving @Tchoupitoulas ! Great-looking setup.
🤜🤛

May 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #515 of 1,085
Returned to the Stock pads on my D-8000 (F-type pads) from the H-type pads. It has been almost a year since I last used the F-type pads and I gotta say the F-pads are rekindling some unique magic of what I feel makes the D-8000 sound unique. Biggest thing is bass impact and extension while keeping the soundstage more narrow, but very tall and deep.
In any case. The D-8000 definitely has the most character I’ve ever experienced in a HP.
It is a delight to pad roll this headphone. I certainly hope Final Audio come out with a forth pad offering some day.
Amazingly fun headphone and no matter what pads you through on them you can listen to any genre of music. Best all rounder headphone I can think of. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_8026.jpeg
    IMG_8026.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 17, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #516 of 1,085
Hi all. I was having a brief discussion with @goldwerger about top closed backs. I was sure the ZMF Atrium Closed would be his favorite (I was smitten with this at CanJam NY).
Surprisingly his favorites were the Sony MDR-R10 and the Audio Technica ATH-L5000.

I was wondering if any on this thread felt the same and could compare them to the AC, Susvara, Caldera Closed etc. to provide a better understanding of what they sound like. I realize I mentioned open backs as well, but those are HPs with which I have some familiarity.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #517 of 1,085
Hi all. I was having a brief discussion with @goldwerger about top closed backs. I was sure the ZMF Atrium Closed would be his favorite (I was smitten with this at CanJam NY).
Surprisingly his favorites were the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Audio Technica ATH-L5000.

I was wondering if any on this thread felt the same and could compare them to the AC, Susvara, Caldera Closed etc. to provide a better understanding of what they sound like. I realize I mentioned open backs as well, but those are HPs with which I have some familiarity

Frankie,
Couple quick clarifications:
  1. Song MDR-R10 (not Z1R)
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-L5000 with ZMF Universe Lambskin Solid pads - see detail
  3. I love the Atrium Closed. They are utterly unique and special.
The above are 3 very unique closed backs with different unique attributes. Notably, respectively:
  1. The most open sounding closed back, with incredible timbre
  2. The most neutral and fast/crisp closed backs
  3. The best sub-bass and bass (for me, of any headphones)
All to my subjective taste. No absolutes. My ears your ears, etc…

Btw, I’m demo-ing now the new Caldera Closed and they are very special.

Would love to learn what are others’ favorite closed back headphones are..

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #518 of 1,085
Frankie,
Couple quick clarifications:
  1. Song MDR-R10 (not Z1R)
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-L5000 with ZMF Universe Lambskin Solid pads - see detail
  3. I love the Atrium Closed. They are utterly unique and special.
The above are 3 very unique closed backs with different unique attributes. Notably, respectively:
  1. The most open sounding closed back, with incredible timbre
  2. The most neutral and fast/crisp closed backs
  3. The best sub-bass and bass (for me, of any headphones)
All to my subjective taste. No absolutes. My ears your ears, etc…

Btw, I’m demo-ing now the new Caldera Closed and they are very special.

I corrected my request to show MDR-R10. I did not update to add in pads for the ATH. We can discuss that point later. Tks.

May 17, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #519 of 1,085
It took a longer while for me to really fall in love with a headphone, much longer than with IEMs. But at the very latest after I visited the Sennheiser plant in Tullamore and tried out most of their models, I found that I really love the sound of the HD 600.
Now you just need to get on CeeTees’s waiting list for a pair of JAR-600’s!

May 17, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #520 of 1,085
Tonality and timbre aside, well driven MDR-Z1R is among most open sounding closed back and yes, I have heard almost all closed back.

May 17, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #522 of 1,085
May 17, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #523 of 1,085
Stopped listening to closed-backs when I realized that like IEMs, they aggravate my tinnitus. I do make an exception when I’m in an airplane, and I’ll break out the Beyer t5p v2 (not that they’re my favorite closed-back, but they’re the one I have - a holdover from days as a micro-headphone-dealer).

It was quitting the IEMs that always had me looking at the original Watercooler thread thinking, “Those guys have all the fun.” So thanks for starting up this thread!

May 17, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #524 of 1,085
May 17, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #525 of 1,085
Looks nice, would love to try it out someday. But the price is too high imo, especially because of shipping and customs on top. I paid 300 Euros for my HD 600, brand new, with two year-warranty.

For now I'll wait for the OAE1 (and hope customs won't make me pay again for it)
I got a chance to try them at home last year and they are worth the price of admission IMO if you like HD 6X0 series
IMG_2128.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back