THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 18, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #556 of 1,085
Mine is bass light (though when plugged into AIC10 recently, with Millard tube, is has ton of bass, so seems like a misnomer; I.e. depends on chain).

When I listened to Ray Samuel’s bass heavy, they sounded quite similar. But didn’t have them side by side to truly know.

I see, so do you think old classics like R10 and L5000 can still compete with current flagship closed backs like AC/CC? I still want to auditioned old favorites like Qualia, R10 and L5000 since decade ago till now but alas, its very hard to find one today :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 18, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #557 of 1,085
The Nitsch Jar600 sounds amazing. I listened to it for a while on the Nitsch DSHA-3FN and it was fabulous. Really pushes what 600 series can do.

Ooo I think I'm gonna get me one of those Nitsch JAR600s when they come back around. I love some 600 series action with a tube amp.

May 18, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #558 of 1,085
Finally got a chance to spend a few hours a/b testing Susvara on the headphone jack vs. the speaker taps. I have heard so much about how much better the speaker taps are in general that I had to test it for myself. I finally did it.

Here is the Chain that I tested. It turns out that this is my favorite.

Susvara > DHC Chimera > Riviera AIC-10 > Holo May > Bluesound Node 2i > Tidal > iPhone as controller.

I did some initial volume matching and then listened for several hours across my entire library of music.

Within seconds, I noticed a much richer and denser presentation of mids. Moving to the speaker taps really fill out the sound nicely across the entire frequency response. I loved it right away. But, I wanted to make sure I captured in my mind's eye what was going on.

The AIC on the headphone jack is still extremely pleasant. In fact, I would characterize it as a more smoothed over sound. Very pleasant to my ear.

When switching to the speaker taps, the resolution and density of sound is significantly increased. It's a much more realistic sound. The AIC takes about 30 minutes to warm up. Once warmed up, the imaging is outside of the head with a pretty intimate stage but not small by any means. Really great layering where I could see the Jazz artists with my eyes closed playing in front of and around me.

Even though the density of the mids has increased, it does not take away from the mid bass punch and nice subbass rumble.

I really love this combination and will keep it permanently attached to the speaker taps on my AIC-10. I have no hesitation in recommending this configuration.
As someone making the jump to AIC-10 soon(ish), could you clarify the process here?

I'm guessing this is it...

1. Turn volume pot on amp down to zero (my Holo May doesn't have any volume settings)
  2. Attach speaker taps adapter first
  3. Switch on amp
  4. Play music
Also, read some impressions on AIC thread specifying spades over banana plugs. Is is spades you have? I also have a Chimera, so would get Peter to make me one to match my white one.

May 18, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #559 of 1,085
Interesting, I was concerned that IEM's would worsen my tinnitus but have found that as long as they are vented and I keep volume reasonable, they do not. I do stay away from closed back over-ears though except for the Bathys wireless.
A vented IEM sounds like the in-ear equivalent of an open back headphone. Makes sense, but I have never tried any.

May 18, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #560 of 1,085
As someone making the jump to AIC-10 soon(ish), could you clarify the process here?

I'm guessing this is it...

1. Turn volume pot on amp down to zero (my Holo May doesn't have any volume settings)
  2. Attach speaker taps adapter first
  3. Switch on amp
  4. Play music
Also, read some impressions on AIC thread specifying spades over banana plugs. Is is spades you have? I also have a Chimera, so would get Peter to make me one to match my white one.
Does that mean in addition to the Envy?
Or will it replace the Envy?

May 18, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #561 of 1,085
Does that mean in addition to the Envy?
Or will it replace the Envy?
Haven't decided yet. It's on loan to someone currently.

Perfectly happy with it, but I've been listening to Bliss in its absence, and it's been more than plenty for me. But I'm also feeling like I really want to properly max out Susvara and 1266. And as good as Envy is, I want a little more. Reviewer my Envy is with says the AE is 'significantly' ahead of it, and something like ampsandsounds Red October is another league to Envy OG.

As I say, it's a little up in the air. We'll see.

My Envy wasn't actually fully burned in prior to loaning out. I only worked it out after I sent it! And I've also got a CV6 Quad adapter to try out on Envy when it comes back, which might be a driver tube improvement according to Wes in the 6SN7 thread. I'm getting tired of dealing with tubes tbh :) AIC is one tube, and it's inexpensive to roll.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #562 of 1,085
A different method to tackle a problem. I admittedly did not come up with this idea on my own, rather @zach915m was the one who suggested I look into this solution.

A very long story short, I had my PSAudio Dectet looking like a Tesla coil, sparks shooting this way and that, which in turn melted my FTA Callisto USB cable, fried my Roon core and all other sorts of audiophile nightmare fuel.

106531-b7741aae69314edfe310d166cd77b97d.jpg

Anyways, for the price of a decent power conditioner, I picked up a LIPO battery system. The one I have has four 20 amp AC sockets. I can run my entire setup for twenty hours before it needs a re-charge, which only takes about 90 minutes to go from 0-100%. It also accommodates large, aftermarket audiophile grade power cables.

It is totally silent in operation and produces perfect sine waves. The SQ increase is quite noticeable, especially in clarity and staging. One never realizes how dirty the electricity coming from the wall is until you can a/b with a clean solution. No more surges to worry about and no more hours of the day when your gear sounds the best.

For more info check out here , an article from 'Enjoy The Music' about using batteries for running audio gear.

20240513_134858.jpg

For the record, PSAudio didn't even bother to assist or inquire about damages. Final Touch Audio replaced my USB cable free of charge (highly recommended).
How do you like the Bluetti?

May 18, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #563 of 1,085
Isn’t eslab R10 similar enough? I’ve listened to a few and they were excellent. To me it’s a crazy value looking at classifieds in the US

I can’t offer any insight as I never had a chance to compare them side by side 🤷‍♂️

The R10 were made from the rare Zelkova tree which acoustic properties are unique, and has a unique bio-cellulose drivers which were in charge of its unique sound signature. The ESLab headphones may be good but they do not have the some drivers or wood, and the acoustic properties will be different.

I've been on Bokeh protein pads with the lesser density mesh. CC changes a lot with amp impedance to my ears. I either go L/M impedance with the suede pads and standard red mesh or H impedance with less dense mesh and protein pads. When I get around to writing about the CC I'll include a lot of pad and mesh thoughts. Very tunable.

That’s super helpful, I’ll keep this kind! 🙏
I see, so do you think old classics like R10 and L5000 can still compete with current flagship closed backs like AC/CC? I still want to auditioned old favorites like Qualia, R10 and L5000 since decade ago till now but alas, its very hard to find one today :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The L5000 are modern TOTL headphones. they were manufactured around 2018-2020 (don’t recall exact dates).

The R10 are old, they were manufactured from 1989 ink the late 90s (so 30+ years ago). They do not match in technicalities some of the current too headphones (though still very good) but have such an incredibly natural sounding timbre and immense sense of space, they still make up a uniquely magical listening experience that is entirely unique.

The AC and CC are different from each other, but I consider at the top of currently manufactured closed back headphones.

As an aside - owning vintage headphones isn’t for the faint of heart. If a driver fails, it’s likely game over. One needs to live with accepting this reality 🤷‍♂️

I really want to properly max out Susvara and 1266.
AIC is one tube, and it's inexpensive to roll.

I can’t recommend the AIC-10 enough. I’ve never heard the Susvara soar as it doesn’t on the AIC. One of the best listening experiences I’ve had the privilege to have had.

The tune rolling is super simple, and impactful for tuning. I love the Mullard M8136 which provides body, texture, and sweetness that are addictive to me. Others prefer the Telefunken G73-R for super clarity more on the analytical end of the spectrum, and endless options in between and beyond.

May 18, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #564 of 1,085
So, my work office is closing and I'm moving to a different, smaller space. At work I had a simple set up of a matrix mini i4 pro and my bokeh. Simple, but pretty darn awesome, actually.

Since I don't have room for it at the new location, and safety of the gear is a concern, I brought them home. On a whim, I plugged the matrix in as a pre-amp in my chain. I have to say, pre-amps are no joke! This is potentially putting some of my upgrade plans on hold, as this is sounding just excellent. I get a similar sonic improvement from the Ampsandsound Booster box, which is essentially a fixed volume preamp. It's always nice to find a simple thing that becomes a bump in quality in your chain.
It was like that with my power cables....

May 18, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #565 of 1,085
The ESLab headphones may be good but they do not have the some drivers or wood, and the acoustic properties will be different.
From what i heard they were in search for some specific wood to make it as close as possible to the original R10, hence they were only making 200 of them. I’m not sure about the exact details though. Two of my friends have it and it’s the best closed back I’ve heard (AC is a bit too hollow sounding for me, though bass is admittedly great!), however never had the occasion to try the MDR-R10:/ Caldera closed will be on the radar to try now too

May 18, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #566 of 1,085
I love the Mullard M8136 which provides body, texture, and sweetness that are addictive to me.
I really like that tube. I no longer have the Nirvana that I used it with but I’ve still kept a pair of them just in case.

Going back to the Aegis thread, I do feel the ECC35 are similar but with better imaging… well, they’re better overall but they have that same Mullard sound!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #567 of 1,085
I really like that tube. I no longer have the Nirvana that I used it with but I’ve still kept a pair of them just in case.

Going back to the Aegis thread, I do feel the ECC35 are similar but with better imaging… well, they’re better overall but they have that same Mullard sound!

I actually bought an extra pair for long-term back up and was testing them in the Nirvana (easier to roll tubes there’s the AIC is open cover with screws affair), and loved it so much I have it now there too (though the Siemens 5814A is still my default roll on that amp).

It’s a wonderful tube!!

May 18, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #568 of 1,085
"The Nightfly" was on my TT for years. A master class in writing, composing, and studio mastery.

A treasured memory: my wife and I went to Italy on our honeymoon in '84. The Italian lira was incredibly weak & the USD very strong, so we did a lot of shopping. Practically every store in Rome and Florence was playing Donald Fagen's 'Nightfly," and Louis Armstrong tunes from the late '20s & '30s. All things considered, it felt like heaven.
The lira was weak from the 80’s until the Euro came in in 2000 in Italy and I used to go spend summers there. I would get from $1.50-$2.00 per 1000 lira. I used to buy so much good music for cheap it was sick. Good times.

May 18, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #569 of 1,085
Others prefer the Telefunken G73-R for super clarity more on the analytical end of the spectrum, and endless options in between and beyond.
A couple of thoughts on the G73-R (albeit in an OTL amp, not the Rivera)- while it is not a rich, “British mid-range”-sounding tube per se…

But the G73-R presents a tonal palette close enough to my Mullard and Brimar options while providing more air and “presence” that it is my go-to driver tube pair.

May 18, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #570 of 1,085
A couple of thoughts on the G73-R (albeit in an OTL amp, not the Rivera)- while it is not a rich, “British mid-range”-sounding tube per se…

But the G73-R presents a tonal palette close enough to my Mullard and Brimar options while providing more air and “presence” that it is my go-to driver tube pair.

Agree.. I used it as gain tube in my Decware Taboo SE84TS+ it’s awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back