The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 8, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #88,606 of 90,521
Good on you mate.

I am 56 and of that age when one realises they are not getting any younger. I had a health scare three years ago, thankfully good now but never a guarantee, and people around me are starting to have a few concerns themselves. Had a couple of other things that weighed me down but have moved forward.

Until life kicks you in the balls a few times you don’t realise how good you had it and how precious living a good life surrounded by good people really is.

All the best to you.
I could not agree more. I had a number of my friends suddenly dying in the last few years. Non of them made it over 55. That’s when I realized how fragile life is. I started to not hold back and trying to live my life to the fullest and try never to complain about life hence I started to do my passion project of making my IEMs - Muxicbox.

All my friends made a load of money but they could not take it with them…

May 8, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #88,607 of 90,521
Best track for bass & treble textures. Very good for imaging/separation as well. This is a phenomenal album. When I tell people I like jazz, they always assume I mean noodly freeform stuff... no this is what I like. Music with guts.

Nik Bartsch's Ronin project - Tadonori LP - the track is called Modul 15. It's absolutely badass.

https://tidal.com/track/179976289?u
Not sure I would call this music, but definitely adding to my library as a bass test track.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #88,608 of 90,521
I generally love the mojo2. But I tried it with anni23 using a ddhifi converter to 3.5mm, I thought the questyle m15 was much better. OTOH I use the mojo2 in my city home (I usually stay by the sea) sometimes with the old school HD800 and use the eq to boost the bass, that is surprisingly good.
Sorry, going to have to disagree with you in a big way there. I have a Questyle M15 & it's like a mini Mojo. It has a similar sort of sound, but it's a massive compromise in every way, bar convenience of it being small & easy to carry - I use it regularly for supermarket trips. It doesn't have that pitch black background, the imaging/separation is nowhere close, it's nowhere near as powerful & struggles with even harder to drive IEMs. If used on high gain mode, the background noise is very distracting. Very noisy. Oh and of course... no DSP. A software equivalent/EQ won't come close.

It's a fantastic dongle, pretty much as good as they get... but with that size comes significant limitations.

May 8, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #88,610 of 90,521
while I’m waiting for UPS…

What track do y’all load up first on new gear day?

1 pick only!
IMG_7609.jpegIMG_7608.jpeg
Shout out to the Bloom Audio team, my giveaway pack arrived!
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac. Those cymbals are the best judge of sibilance I've found. If I can't hear that song without wincing then I know I won't keep the iems.
I went with the Chain. Good pick.

May 8, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #88,611 of 90,521
May 8, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #88,612 of 90,521
Sorry, going to have to disagree with you in a big way there. I have a Questyle M15 & it's like a mini Mojo. It has a similar sort of sound, but it's a massive compromise in every way, bar convenience of it being small & easy to carry - I use it regularly for supermarket trips. It doesn't have that pitch black background, the imaging/separation is nowhere close, it's nowhere near as powerful & struggles with even harder to drive IEMs. If used on high gain mode, the background noise is very distracting. Very noisy. Oh and of course... no DSP. A software equivalent/EQ won't come close.

It's a fantastic dongle, pretty much as good as they get... but with that size comes significant limitations.
I don't have any noise whatsoever with the anni23 and questyle, or any of my other iems. I agree the mojo2 is great. But not with the anni23 using the a converter to go from 4.4 to 3.5mm.

I also think the mojo sounds very different than the questyle. The questyle is more warm and meaty, the mojo2 is more lean, resolving but with perhaps a greater sense of space.

With the hd800 yes mojo is better because of eq and power. But with the Austrian audio Composer, which is easily driven, they are simply different. Although there's one or two on the AA Composer thread that preferred the m15 to the mojo. As usual ymmv.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #88,613 of 90,521
while I’m waiting for UPS…

What track do y’all load up first on new gear day?

1 pick only!

So many, but given the ‘1 only’ rule, I’ll mention this excellent track - it’s very special to me as it was a family favourite from a holiday in 2018 and one I often test new IEMs with… FA19 getting a firm 10/10 right now.

IMG_3637.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #88,616 of 90,521
I don't have any noise whatsoever with the anni23 and questyle, or any of my other iems. I agree the mojo2 is great. But not with the anni23 using the a converter to go from 4.4 to 3.5mm.

I also think the mojo sounds very different than the questyle. The questyle is more warm and meaty, the mojo2 is more lean, resolving but with perhaps a greater sense of space.

With the hd800 yes mojo is better because of eq and power. But with the Austrian audio Composer, which is easily driven, they are simply different. Although there's one or two on the AA Composer thread that preferred the m15 to the mojo. As usual ymmv.

I guess we all hear very different things... the reason I bought the M15 was due to its similarity to the Mojo 2... there's not another dongle that I've heard that sounds remotely like it... sadly it took me about half a dozen goes to get the right dongle... I really liked the L&P W4 (despite not sounding anything like the Mojo 2), but $400 for something I'll barely use... not a chance. I bought my M15 second hand for $100.

In all honesty, I don't like the Anni at all due to the very weak sub bass - I was hoping running it through the Mojo 2 would make a difference; the DSP is very impressive, but it can't work miracles. I got the 21 version last week (new) as an exchange for my SP3000 & it was more a decision based on the fact that I can use them as better 'currency' to trade or sell. SP3000 prices are dropping enormously in Asia, whilst demand for either Anni remains high... I'm not a wealthy guy these days as I am quite unwell & have big medical bills, so I need to make my gear habit as sustainable as possible... hence all my wheeling & dealing!

May 8, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #88,617 of 90,521
May 8, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #88,618 of 90,521
Definitely different to me. I keep listening to it.

Unbelievably great to tell which amp has more bass, bass depth and detail. Same for HPs.

Yeah, it's a phenomenal test track & it sounds like you're warming up to the music.

This is another really good test track, but totally different -

Boris Blank (one half of Yello) - Electrified.

The guy makes technically unbelievable electronic music & he's 72. Absolute studio whizz & I think he still uses mostly outboard gear. Total genius.

https://tidal.com/track/77661061?u

May 8, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #88,619 of 90,521
How is the vented bass driver please?
It weight coming from a DD lover.

Very satisfying, sub bass digs wonderfully deep. I need more time to ascertain mid bass which personally speaking is typically less important to me, but equally I can be a bit more fussy about too in terms of a dynamic driver vs BA. Honeymoon phase but I’m loving this set… it is absolutely a massive step up for FiiO.

I’ve switched to the Bellos X4 now briefly before bed, another incredibly impressive set in a somewhat more affordable zone before stepping into kilobuck territory.

Ugh I wish I didn’t have work tomorrow, I could easily stay up all night listening to music :)

May 8, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #88,620 of 90,521
Not sure I would call this music, but definitely adding to my library as a bass test track.
:) I got the same reaction after I finished listening, it's like from the beginning to the end of a live performance, you heard "testing, testing" in your walkie talkie, and that's it, there is no message. I agree that it's pretty good for testing the bass, though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back