Topping E70 Velvet DAC Review, Measurements and Comparisons
May 10, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #91 of 114
With the Pro iDSD in your signature would be great if possible !

DSD256 input vs DSD512

Not really using its built-in upsampler
yes I have done that! But with a 'lesser' ADC. I am now using an ADC that is strictly for measurements using the latest ESS ADC with incredibly low noise and distortion.
Only the very, very best measuring DACs are its equal or better.

An iFi NEO IDSD (1.1 version with headamp) arrived today, so I plan on measuring them both thoroughly to see how they stack up.

One thing a lot of people don't account for, is just how difficult it is for the onboard logic in these DACs to keep up with the clock speeds above DSD256.

Is it AKM that says they cant guarantee performance characteristics at DSD512? Forgive me if it isn't AKM that said that, but I know a major company did.

Furthermore, one of the engineers on the iDSD Pro, Thorsten Loesch, has pointed out the same. That these super fast logic speeds can be counter-productive as they lead to more noise. Such behavior is easily seen in the measurements of the iDSD PRO. The highest SNR is at DSD512. DSD1024 drops SNR by a few decibels.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #92 of 114
yes I have done that! But with a 'lesser' ADC. I am now using an ADC that is strictly for measurements using the latest ESS ADC with incredibly low noise and distortion.
Only the very, very best measuring DACs are its equal or better.

An iFi NEO IDSD (1.1 version with headamp) arrived today, so I plan on measuring them both thoroughly to see how they stack up.

One thing a lot of people don't account for, is just how difficult it is for the onboard logic in these DACs to keep up with the clock speeds above DSD256.

Is it AKM that says they cant guarantee performance characteristics at DSD512? Forgive me if it isn't AKM that said that, but I know a major company did.

Furthermore, one of the engineers on the iDSD Pro, Thorsten Loesch, has pointed out the same. That these super fast logic speeds can be counter-productive as they lead to more noise. Such behavior is easily seen in the measurements of the iDSD PRO. The highest SNR is at DSD512. DSD1024 drops SNR by a few decibels.
I will share my Cosmos ADC + APU measurements of my SMSL D-6 DAC running in DSD Direct mode.

I know what you refer to, that has been written but there are some DACs where I don't see such scary problems in measurements. Some do yes.

This is DSD512. I can share J-test later but there is no jitter at all. Crystal clean.

SMSL engineers have implemented dual AK4493S well here...

There is no measurement penalty going from DSD256 to DSD512 with this DAC. With some DACs you do see it

So it all has to be case by case. Can't generalise.

Just have to measure the analogue output to see if any "issues"

1683071696144.png

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #94 of 114
I bought the E70V DAC a few days ago, and I am very pleased with it. Pictures

It (obviously) performs better than my previous (budget) DAC, the Massdrop SDAC: Pictures

The main difference are the details, especially in the bass section is the biggest improvement, but the mids have also improved, maybe the highs are similiar level.
Also I feel more space, the soundstage has expanded somewhat.

Anyway, my question is, do you think the factory USB cable is good, or should I buy an aftermarket USB cable, what do you use?

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #95 of 114
I bought the E70V DAC a few days ago, and I am very pleased with it. Pictures

It (obviously) performs better than my previous (budget) DAC, the Massdrop SDAC: Pictures

The main difference are the details, especially in the bass section is the biggest improvement, but the mids have also improved, maybe the highs are similiar level.
Also I feel more space, the soundstage has expanded somewhat.

Anyway, my question is, do you think the factory USB cable is good, or should I buy an aftermarket USB cable, what do you use?
It's quite the good DAC!

I would say the stock USB cable will be fine. I personally use the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable but I got it for a steal many years ago during a bestbuy sale.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #96 of 114
It's quite the good DAC!

I would say the stock USB cable will be fine. I personally use the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable but I got it for a steal many years ago during a bestbuy sale.
Yeah, I also think the factory cable is okay, but in my local forum they said I should buy a better USB cable, if I spent so much money on this already.

Do you experience a difference in sound quality, if you switch between the Factory Topping USB cable and the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable?

Jul 22, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #97 of 114
Yeah, I also think the factory cable is okay, but in my local forum they said I should buy a better USB cable, if I spent so much money on this already.

Do you experience a difference in sound quality, if you switch between the Factory Topping USB cable and the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable?
Not that I can notice. I do however have so many aftermarket upgrades like Audioquest xlr cables and everything ran through a Panamax power conditioner/surge protector so trying to figure out what’s helping more can be a pain.

From what I’ve heard, most stuff past the Cinnamon cables care cause a more artificial sound due to all the extra junk they add into the cables.

Hopefully someone who has more experience will cable rolling will chime in.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #98 of 114
Not that I can notice. I do however have so many aftermarket upgrades like Audioquest xlr cables and everything ran through a Panamax power conditioner/surge protector so trying to figure out what’s helping more can be a pain.

From what I’ve heard, most stuff past the Cinnamon cables care cause a more artificial sound due to all the extra junk they add into the cables.

Hopefully someone who has more experience will cable rolling will chime in.
Well, on my local "audiophile" forum (semi-amateur) they were so adamant that if I have such an expensive setup, just buy a new USB cable, because if the USB cable is not high quality, then jitter or other noise may transfer into the DAC and eventually into your headphones.

I did not really believed them, because the factory cable should be good enough, even though it's a basic-looking USB cable, or the DAC must have built inside filtering or reclocking of data or something, this is a good DAC. But they said this and that, your digital source ..blablabla.

So I thought, my setup is indeed expensive, so why not just give it a try, maybe there is some truth what the guys on the forum are saying.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004358188212.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5de038darsjzpt&mp=1

I think I will buy this, if there is any truth to this, this cable does look good. Any opinions? I also plan to buy some ferrite tips for the power cords, so I can sleep well.

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #99 of 114
Well, on my local "audiophile" forum (semi-amateur) they were so adamant that if I have such an expensive setup, just buy a new USB cable, because if the USB cable is not high quality, then jitter or other noise may transfer into the DAC and eventually into your headphones.

I did not really believed them, because the factory cable should be good enough, even though it's a basic-looking USB cable, or the DAC must have built inside filtering or reclocking of data or something, this is a good DAC. But they said this and that, your digital source ..blablabla.

So I thought, my setup is indeed expensive, so why not just give it a try, maybe there is some truth what the guys on the forum are saying.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004358188212.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5de038darsjzpt&mp=1

I think I will buy this, if there is any truth to this, this cable does look good. Any opinions? I also plan to buy some ferrite tips for the power cords, so I can sleep well.
Are you hearing any noise? I would stick to the stock one. The only reason I would get a different (not expensive) USB cable is if I wanted a different length. Or if the stock one was broken.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #100 of 114
Are you hearing any noise? I would stick to the stock one. The only reason I would get a different (not expensive) USB cable is if I wanted a different length. Or if the stock one was broken.
I do not hear any noise, but some say a new cable can improve.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #101 of 114
I do not hear any noise, but some say a new cable can improve.

I’ll bet whoever “some say” is, they didn’t tell you exactly what to look for in a USB cable to improve sound quality. Personally, I choose USB cables based on length and build quality, and in the small chance it might improve the signal, shielding is not expensive…

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #102 of 114
I’ll bet whoever “some say” is, they didn’t tell you exactly what to look for in a USB cable to improve sound quality. Personally, I choose USB cables based on length and build quality, and in the small chance it might improve the signal, shielding is not expensive…
I also think it would not improve the signal that much, but I am curious.

Would you buy this one in 0.5m? It's not that expensive: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004358188212.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5de038darsjzpt&mp=1

Or which one would you try? https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholes...xt=usb+audio+cable&spm=a2g0o.detail.1000002.0

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #103 of 114
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #104 of 114
Well, I the supposedly better USB cable has arrived, I don't really hear much difference, it sounds just as good with the factory Topping cable.

If I said it sounds better, I would just justify my purchase, that I spent money on this.

It definitely looks better, but it's behind my desk so it doesn't really matter. Anyway now I know.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #105 of 114
Well, I the supposedly better USB cable has arrived, I don't really hear much difference, it sounds just as good with the factory Topping cable.

If I said it sounds better, I would just justify my purchase, that I spent money on this.

It definitely looks better, but it's behind my desk so it doesn't really matter. Anyway now I know.

Problems with USB transmission coming from outside influences aren’t unheard of, but neither are they everywhere…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back