vcap dock question
Feb 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

00lunar

100+ Head-Fier
ye i'm new here and i kindly ask you people here.....

what is and what it also gives vcap dock?

and what is vcap?

thanks

--lnr--

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 33
VCaps are a type of capacitors. There are two kinds, teflon & oil-impregnated versions. For a thorough explanation, go here:

V-Cap Oil Capacitors

The practical answer you might be interested in is in terms of using them with your portable set-up. The most common application of this is for use with iMod (won't work with unmodded iPods). Vinnie from Red Wine Audio will mod the 4G and 5G iPods to rid of the crap that gets in the way of signal delivery, and with the iMod, via interconnect, you can use whatever caps for your iMod.

The most portable solution is ALO audio's portable dock using Blackgates (although it seems like Blackgates won't be made anymore.) However, the VCap dock will make a noticeable improvement over the Blackgate caps, at least in my experience. One drawback is that there isn't an elegant way to house the VCaps... Blackgates can be encased in a tiny dock connector... you'll have to carry around a box that is roughly the size of a good-sized portable amp (think Ray Samuels SR71A).

Hope this helps.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 33
well ye..thx mate

that put some light onto the case
L3000.gif

i was wondering if using vcaps will improve sq.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not without an imod they won't. (alter possibly, but improve is highly highly doubtful)

i'm going to have 5.5g imod and some decent gear so i was simply wondering
smily_headphones1.gif

so i guess if the difference isn't big - i'l stop thinking about it.

am i right?

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 33
I think you misunderstood imademymark. He means that with an iMod they will improve the SQ. But Vcap with no iMod, it's doubtful.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 33
Vcaps is one of the better way to use an imod 5G.
Imod lod (with black gates) need a lot of time of burning hours to obtain a great result.
When you use Vcaps, improvement is more "immediate" and improve with time.
So a good solution if you want have rapidely the improvement of Imod (comparing regular ipod) is to look for an old and used Imod Lod.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vcaps is one of the better way to use an imod 5G.
Imod lod (with black gates) need a lot of time of burning hours to obtain a great result.
When you use Vcaps, improvement is more "immediate" and improve with time.
So a good solution if you want have rapidely the improvement of Imod (comparing regular ipod) is to look for an old and used Imod Lod.

i didn't knew that LOD requires burning in.

well p51 mustang is "ready" after 100hrs but someone entioned that after 800 it is even more superb
smily_headphones1.gif

what about burning in time of decent 18awg lod? 100hrs ? 200?
ehhh my curiosity is sometimes like a curse to me.sry
ph34r.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 33
Blackgates need a lot of time to sound good.
with my experience i'll say nearly 500 hours.
Vcaps sound great at 200 hours.
But at the first listening session, Vcaps sound better than blackgates ( even burned).

My P 51 have improve until 400 hours.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you misunderstood imademymark. He means that with an iMod they will improve the SQ. But Vcap with no iMod, it's doubtful.

many appologies, ever since i started doing a public international law module in university i've been using double negatives even in daily speech
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 33
and yes ghostmusic is right. the vcaps make a difference that's for sure, but how much of it is audible on the go is again questionable. but you know you want one, it has so much of the geeky-music-appeal i'm tempted myself; and i get the feeling you wont be satisfied till you get one to appease yourself as to the differences hehheh
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 33
lisaIIIXPwithteflondockmini-1-4P-1.jpg
lisaIIIXPwithteflondockmini-1-4P-sa.jpg

this is my UBER VCAP dock. a more high-end version of the popular one by ALO. I have taken it to the limit and used teflon VCAPs to add uber detail and lightning decay to the highs and upper mids

this is a more typical one similar to the ALO PVCAP using the same caps, but having a hardwired LOD
lisaIIIstandardwithhybridjenaRCA-1.jpg

IMO they make a substantial difference and I'm never without mine

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and yes ghostmusic is right. the vcaps make a difference that's for sure, but how much of it is audible on the go is again questionable. but you know you want one, it has so much of the geeky-music-appeal i'm tempted myself; and i get the feeling you wont be satisfied till you get one to appease yourself as to the differences hehheh
biggrin.gif

hehe so it's all about hype mostly aye
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00lunar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe so it's all about hype mostly aye
smily_headphones1.gif
?

what I dont think you are understanding at all; everyone here has said they make a considerable difference; the only caveat being that it depends on how noisy the environment is you are using it in whether it is worth it. that could be said for ANY piece of audio gear. if you cant HEAR the difference; you cant hear the difference.

it is absolutely not all hype, but there is certainly a lot of hype about it.

for good reason IMO

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I dont think you are understanding at all; everyone here has said they make a considerable difference; the only caveat being that it depends on how noisy the environment is you are using it in whether it is worth it. that could be said for ANY piece of audio gear. if you cant HEAR the difference; you cant hear the difference.

it is absolutely not all hype, but there is certainly a lot of hype about it.

for good reason IMO

geez...now i dig it
smily_headphones1.gif

helpful as always - thanx
ksc75smile.gif

i guess anything that improves sq is good.thanx for answering mates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back