Want to take the plunge into 300b headphone amp
Feb 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shinewu

New Head-Fier
I can only afford 1 of the 3 Chinese brands:

1) Little Dot LD-Y2, around $3k. This one uses Lundahl alloy input transformer. But beyond this, I can't seem to be find much information.
2) Original OPA-3A around $3k. This one uses Japanese Z11 transformer. It is also the most compact and techy looking out of the 3.
3) Cayin HA-300 around $4k. This one seems to be perfect, but costs 1/3 more. It uses proprietary transformers.

My main headphones are Sennheiser HD 800S and Hifiman HD6SE V2. I know all 3 have pretty high output impedance ~32ohm, but it should not be a problem with the headphones I plan to drive. I listen to female vocal, jazz and acoustic music most of the time. I don't touch electronic or metal.

I want to ask the head-fi community if anyone has compared these high-end 300b amps side by side? I think Cayin is covered with a pretty lengthy thread, but the other 2 are rarely discussed here. Any feedback or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello,
the original OPA-3A would already be out for me.
It doesn't necessarily have to be something bad.
Personally, I am a bit cautious about amplifiers with built-in Mundorf.

The built-in ones are not bad and are supposed to be better than the Mcap series where the cheap ones are.
If I'm honest, you don't put Mundorf capacitors in a 3000$ amp, there are simply better ones if they don't do even better.
Of course it doesn't have to be a Vcap, but at least something that is rich enough.

I don't think the Cayhin has 300b tubes in it if I've seen it right.
And with the Little Dot, I'd say you're burning your fingers unnecessarily.
The support has become lousy in the meantime.
The innovation is okay, but everything is based on the low cost principle.
Seems somehow that the golden time for them is over.
In the beginning they made really cool and good stuff, great support and since 2-3 years only less good stuff.
I have read many less good comments here in the forum.

Have you ever thought about building your own?
Or maybe you have someone who dares to build an Elekit amplifier?
Does it have to be an amp with 300b tubes or can it be others?
A Denis Had Dragon wouldn't necessarily be bad either, good performance, price-wise it costs less.
Currently still a good Nos market available for the tubes as well as New old Stock, New production also not necessarily bad.

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't have an answer for you, but according to the stated output impedance, it does not seem likely to drive the HE6SE well. Perfect for a pair of 800Ss though

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I am an owner of Little Dot LD-Y2, and I own Woo WA22 and Fostex HP-V8 at the same time.

To me the Little Dot is a good amplifier with good dynamics, accurate imaging and excellent response along all frequencies. It is powerful enough to drive my Susvara, and works well with my other gears including Empyrean, Final D8000, Focal Stellia and Audio-Technica AWAS. However, you need to spare additional budget for tube rolling as it scales up well with better tubes. The supplied JJ 300B is good but you would like to swap the pair of rectifiers once you get the machine.

I got mine as used unit and lucky that I have not dealt with the after sale service, of which you may need to consider. In this aspect, Cayin is definitely providing more peace of mind.

20220227_110516.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Of the 3 I've only heard the ha300 though not with hd800 and he6. I own a hd800 so I'm very familiar with it's characteristics and going by what I've heard from the ha300 I think it will work well with the amp. I've not own a he6 myself so I can't comment on its pairing.

Given your budget and your interest in 300b amp I'd also recommend looking into the Eddie Current Studio B . That's my go to amp and it works wonders with my hd800.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the great advice. I am not handy with DIY, so I will buy a ready-for-listening unit now. As to Eddie Current Studio B, it is probably out of mu league for now.

I was more leaning towards the 2 cheaper options. But maybe I should save up for the Cayin 300b.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm in the same bucket as you in terms of wanted a 300B amp and a similar budget. The HA-300 appears to be the best mix of performance and price. Here is a used example and I assume when the mk2 comes out you'll see more postings and some downward pressure on price.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649819281-cayin-ha-300-headphone-amplifier-6sn7-300b/

Somebody else had mentioned a few more options in the Feliks Envy thread:

https://www.wbamp.com/product/virtus-300b-otl-single-ended-headphone-amplifier/

https://www.pier-audio.com/amplificateur-a-tubes-lampes-pier-audio-series-ms-300-se.html

https://www.audio-activity.com/halgorythme-bloc-steacutereacuteo-se-300b.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back