WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #766 of 789
No problem. I'm always happy to answer questions. I get zero sound when I have the audio settings set to 24/192 from either the sample test audio or 24/192 tracks. If it was crackling or "skipping" it would potentially be a cable or jitter issue, but that's not what's going on here. 🤷‍♂️

As I mentioned in my original post, this is the second Mini that's done this after working fine with 24/192 for several months. When I contacted Wiim's customer service about the first one they said it was a bug with a firmware update that caused some units to have a problem. I should also note that Wiim's CS once again stepped up and they're sending me a new Mini. I said it wasn't necessary but their CS rep insisted after working with me over a few days trying various fixes. I've had nothing but great experiences with their support reps. 👍😎
Very glad to hear this, as I just started having the static/crackling issue and was looking for answers.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #767 of 789
Very glad to hear this, as I just started having the static/crackling issue and was looking for answers.

Cheers!!

If it's static or crackling it's most likely just a transmission issue cause by either the cable or the port getting dirty or scratched, the cable not being plugged in all the way, or possibly increased jitter that your DAC isn't able to handle (though the increased jitter is less likely than a transmission issue). The one time I encountered the crackling issue I simply made sure the Toslink cable was plugged in and seated correctly and it went away.

BTW, my answer is based on what Wiim's support told me and my own experience with that issue. There may be other potential causes that I'm unaware of, but that's where I'd start and that's where their CS would have you start too. Let me/us know if that works or if it ends up being something else.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #768 of 789
If it's static or crackling it's most likely just a transmission issue cause by either the cable or the port getting dirty or scratched, the cable not being plugged in all the way, or possibly increased jitter that your DAC isn't able to handle (though the increased jitter is less likely than a transmission issue). The one time I encountered the crackling issue I simply made sure the Toslink cable was plugged in and seated correctly and it went away.

BTW, my answer is based on what Wiim's support told me and my own experience with that issue. There may be other potential causes that I'm unaware of, but that's where I'd start and that's where their CS would have you start too. Let me/us know if that works or if it ends up being something else.
Yes that sounds logical, I will try and clean the port today with some DeoxIT D5, as a musician brother I am sure you know about this, lol

I have also tried several cables and even found the original cable, so we shall see what shakes out.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 25, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #769 of 789
No problem. I'm always happy to answer questions. I get zero sound when I have the audio settings set to 24/192 from either the sample test audio or 24/192 tracks. If it was crackling or "skipping" it would potentially be a cable or jitter issue, but that's not what's going on here. 🤷‍♂️

As I mentioned in my original post, this is the second Mini that's done this after working fine with 24/192 for several months. When I contacted Wiim's customer service about the first one they said it was a bug with a firmware update that caused some units to have a problem. I should also note that Wiim's CS once again stepped up and they're sending me a new Mini. I said it wasn't necessary but their CS rep insisted after working with me over a few days trying various fixes. I've had nothing but great experiences with their support reps. 👍😎

Yes, I can also confirm my experience on the WIIM CS, which was extraordinary with me too, very responsive.

A few months ago I had a crackling problem in the sound at 192, but I was with the Wiim PRO.

The problem only occurred at 192; it was enough to go down to 176.4 and it didn't show up (an important frequency for me, because it's the maximum I can get with ROON when it downconvert DSD to PCM to Wiim).

The problem manifested itself exclusively from the optical output and not when using the PRO's COAX output.

I had found experimentally that by slightly removing the optical connector from the DAC, the crackling almost completely disappeared.

The Wiim CS insisted on sending me a new unit at all costs; unfortunately the problem was not resolved, but their reactivity and willingness to resolve was a welcome surprise for me.

In my case I could slide out the optical connector slightly because I use adapters like the ones shown below.

I don't know if this is your case, but if it were, I would invite you to try.

IMG_8343.jpeg

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #770 of 789
Yes, I can also confirm my experience on the WIIM CS, which was extraordinary with me too, very responsive.

A few months ago I had a crackling problem in the sound at 192, but I was with the Wiim PRO.

The problem only occurred at 192; it was enough to go down to 176.4 and it didn't show up (an important frequency for me, because it's the maximum I can get with ROON when it downconvert DSD to PCM to Wiim).

The problem manifested itself exclusively from the optical output and not when using the PRO's COAX output.

I had found experimentally that by slightly removing the optical connector from the DAC, the crackling almost completely disappeared.

The Wiim CS insisted on sending me a new unit at all costs; unfortunately the problem was not resolved, but their reactivity and willingness to resolve was a welcome surprise for me.

In my case I could slide out the optical connector slightly because I use adapters like the ones shown below.

I don't know if this is your case, but if it were, I would invite you to try.

IMG_8343.jpeg

I hadn't thought of trying an adapter like this. I simply use a regular optical Toslink cable. Do you have a particular adapter that you recommend because it has worked well for you? If so, I'd appreciate a source or link so I can give it a whirl. Thanks in advance for the help!

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #771 of 789
I hadn't thought of trying an adapter like this. I simply use a regular optical Toslink cable. Do you have a particular adapter that you recommend because it has worked well for you? If so, I'd appreciate a source or link so I can give it a whirl. Thanks in advance for the help!

Unfortunately nothing in particular to suggest;
I simply purchased the adapters I needed to use the Wiim series optical cable with my DACs (which have a 3.5 jack type input).

In my tests carried out, to try to solve the problem I wrote about before, I did not find any improvements in the use of 'better' optical cables than the standard ones (I went as far as cables costing around 50 EUR), therefore I decided to use the standard optical cable.

Anyway, I'll give you the link of the adapters I showed before:

https://a.co/d/64gGqwx

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #772 of 789
Unfortunately nothing in particular to suggest;
I simply purchased the adapters I needed to use the Wiim series optical cable with my DACs (which have a 3.5 jack type input).

In my tests carried out, to try to solve the problem I wrote about before, I did not find any improvements in the use of 'better' optical cables than the standard ones (I went as far as cables costing around 50 EUR), therefore I decided to use the standard optical cable.

Anyway, I'll give you the link of the adapters I showed before:

https://a.co/d/64gGqwx

Thanks for the link. I have multiple optical cables from different price ranges that I've accumulated with gear over the years from basic ones like the stock cable to actual glass filament cables. At this point manufacturing of optical filaments has been refined to the point that even basic, inexpensive cables are capable of transmitting 24/192 with no problem if they're in good condition. The only reason to grab something more expensive would be aesthetics, IMO/IME, which is a fine consideration. I mean, who doesn't like cool looking cables?

That said, on my travel rig I just use a couple 20cm short cables and they work fine though I keep various spares (including the stock versions) around just in case.

The DACs that I have with me all take the regular Toslink connector so I don't think this will ultimately be my solution. I do have a couple things I'm gonna try regarding positioning and modifying the cable that a member of the Wiim forums mentioned to me just to see if it works. I'll update if it does.

Thanks again for the help! 😎

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #773 of 789
Thanks for the link. I have multiple optical cables from different price ranges that I've accumulated with gear over the years from basic ones like the stock cable to actual glass filament cables. At this point manufacturing of optical filaments has been refined to the point that even basic, inexpensive cables are capable of transmitting 24/192 with no problem if they're in good condition. The only reason to grab something more expensive would be aesthetics, IMO/IME, which is a fine consideration. I mean, who doesn't like cool looking cables?

That said, on my travel rig I just use a couple 20cm short cables and they work fine though I keep various spares (including the stock versions) around just in case.

The DACs that I have with me all take the regular Toslink connector so I don't think this will ultimately be my solution. I do have a couple things I'm gonna try regarding positioning and modifying the cable that a member of the Wiim forums mentioned to me just to see if it works. I'll update if it does.

Oh yeah, I like cool cables too, of course.

I'd like to point out that I didn't mean to say that better optical cable doesn't matter (we all know that, for example, it improves jitter, which as far as I know is a problem that affects optical connections to a greater extent than copper connections);

I meant that for my specific problem the choice of a better cable did not bring improvements.

I'm really sorry that I can't be of more help than this.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #774 of 789

The Mini uses a std toslink connector as you know. To try a mini toslink connector only if that has a broader optical beam but it will be wobbly.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #775 of 789
The Mini uses a std toslink connector as you know. To try a mini toslink connector only if that has a broader optical beam but it will be wobbly.

Yup, that's what I figured out. For some reason this adapter looked different than a mini Toslink to me until I checked the link and then looked at the mini to std cable(s) I have for my DAPs. One more clue that shows how much I'm not a visual person... 🤪😂

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #776 of 789
Yup, that's what I figured out. For some reason this adapter looked different than a mini Toslink to me until I checked the link and then looked at the mini to std cable(s) I have for my DAPs. One more clue that shows how much I'm not a visual person... 🤪😂

I hope you were able to sort the toslink connection. Good progress?

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #777 of 789
I hope you were able to sort the toslink connection. Good progress?

Not so far, but I'm gonna try resetting again and not allowing the firmware updates to see if that's what caused the issue. I have a couple other things to try and I also have a new Mini waiting for me at home courtesy of Wiim's customer support who insisted on sending it.

I really can't stress enough just how great my interactions with their support reps have been. They all try to be as helpful as possible and if they can't fix an issue, they replace it with no questions asked and without waiting for, or even asking for, the offending unit to be returned. I have been quite impressed with them.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #778 of 789
Not so far, but I'm gonna try resetting again and not allowing the firmware updates to see if that's what caused the issue. I have a couple other things to try and I also have a new Mini waiting for me at home courtesy of Wiim's customer support who insisted on sending it.

I really can't stress enough just how great my interactions with their support reps have been. They all try to be as helpful as possible and if they can't fix an issue, they replace it with no questions asked and without waiting for, or even asking for, the offending unit to be returned. I have been quite impressed with them.
I'm late to the game but maybe telling you what I do might help. I use a WiiM Mini to stream Amazon HD. I connect the unit by the supplied optical cable to my Modi Multibit 2. I use an older iPhone to connect to the WiiM by Bluetooth to control it. I've been through several firmware updates and haven't had any problems. Glad to hear that they are standing behind their product. Good luck.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #779 of 789
I recently discovered that the WiiM app seems to be unable to find local network devices when the internet is offline (I generally use my WiiM minis to stream FLAC files off a NAS to various built-in speakers around the house, controlled using my phone). Is anyone aware of any workarounds for this? Other "smart" devices like LG TVs don't seem to have this limitation, and are able to find DLNA media servers whether connected to the internet or not, so there must be something about the WiiM app that needs to "phone home."

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #780 of 789
I recently discovered that the WiiM app seems to be unable to find local network devices when the internet is offline (I generally use my WiiM minis to stream FLAC files off a NAS to various built-in speakers around the house, controlled using my phone). Is anyone aware of any workarounds for this? Other "smart" devices like LG TVs don't seem to have this limitation, and are able to find DLNA media servers whether connected to the internet or not, so there must be something about the WiiM app that needs to "phone home."
Probably checking for updated firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back