ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 11, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #406 of 750
All I can say Wes is that you are both helping and not helping at the same time. If you pick up what I am putting down. :wink:
LOL and sorry man! I can get a little carried away with tubes and tube talk, and I know I am terrible influence. I am sure I have helped many people drain their bank accounts over the years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My name is Wes and I am a tube addict. :grin:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #407 of 750
Just thinking out loud, and I have to say it is so damn cool to have the designer of this amp (@L0rdGwyn) actually be an enthusiasts, who follows along and shares valuable info about the amp consistently.

Those of you who have one coming, are in for a treat all around. You are getting the best tube amp available, and you get to go on that journey and enjoy it with the creator. How cool is that!

May 11, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #408 of 750
I heard the best GZ32 is the Cossor 52KU, but the price killed my interest instantly :smile:. Grats on those black plates though, I've only seen the grey plate variant locally

Had I more time, I would play with more tube brands. My local tube supplier once commented that the Philips Miniwatt Gz34 would probably suits my taste better (more neutral & clearer than the Mullard F31 fat base) - I'm still happy with the Mullard, but I'm very curious about the Phillips. Hopefully someone *winks winks* will compare all the variants of Gz34 (Mullard, Phillips, Zaerix) in the Aegis ....

May 11, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #409 of 750
LOL and sorry man! I can get a little carried away with tubes and tube talk, and I know I am terrible influence. I am sure I have helped many people drain their bank accounts over the years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My name is Wes and I am a tube addict. :grin:
.... "we admitted we were powerless over tubes - that our lives had become unmanageable" .... 😲

May 11, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #411 of 750
I heard the best GZ32 is the Cossor 52KU, but the price killed my interest instantly :smile:. Grats on those black plates though, I've only seen the grey plate variant locally

Had I more time, I would play with more tube brands. My local tube supplier once commented that the Philips Miniwatt Gz34 would probably suits my taste better (more neutral & clearer than the Mullard F31 fat base) - I'm still happy with the Mullard, but I'm very curious about the Phillips. Hopefully someone *winks winks* will compare all the variants of Gz34 (Mullard, Phillips, Zaerix) in the Aegis ....
I was looking at some of those Cossor's last night, and with those kind of prices, yep I won't be buying any of those.

I have a Mullard smooth plate fat base on my radar, and I am sure some comparisons will happen eventually. :wink:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #412 of 750
All I can say Wes is that you are both helping and not helping at the same time.
omigod this is so true

(smiling & banging forehead on desk at the same time)

(tube roll minutiae tend to overwhelm me)

+ when I read "early '50s Mullard" I salivate like Pavlov's dog

May 11, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #413 of 750
Imagine the time until the early 70s when the first transistor amplifiers came out.
Random memory: It was the mid-1960s. For reasons I can't recall I was in downtown Manhattan with my father. The area where the World Trade Centers would later be built was all 2 to 4 story buildings, an aging neighborhood that time had passed by. The whole place was one big DIY audio flea market: open stalls everywhere, inside & outside buildings. Every electronic component you can imagine (going back to before WWI) was there for sale, dirt cheap. There were 1000s of tubes, all sizes. This memory haunts me.

Just two examples:
  • All the best Mullard tubes were 10-15 yrs old at that point ... nobody but TV repairment & guitarists were even slightly interested
  • 6SN7s, every brand. Probably 25 cents each, less if you buy bulk

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #414 of 750
So, this Mullard GZ32 adds a really nice level of refinement from top to bottom, opens up the staging, and has a smooth sound overall with really good extension on both ends. The mids have gained some textured crunch and euphony, and guitars and female vocals sound especially nice, with this rectifier in the amp. I just listened to a song I have heard probably a thousand times, and it has never sounded so right and lifelike as it did just then. The staging is super deep and holographic with the CC's, and I just can't get enough. For those wanting to open up the staging and smooth things up a hair, without really loosing out on dynamics too much, the Mullard GZ32 will do it. The grey welded plate version can be found for around $70-$100 a piece, and has great reviews. I have seen quite a few of the grey plates, and I imagine they have to be close in sonics to the currently unobtainable black plate version I have.

May 11, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #415 of 750
Amazing :L3000:

I love my EDM and electronic, trance etc in general and the staging and bass with the Aegis is superb for this. What's better, if you want too roll tubes it's one of the cheapest power tubes that I like the most for EDM, the Mullard EL38 which can be had for £60 - £70 a pair... NOS! Stick on a Brimar 5R4GY and you have extra weight to go with it. It's a very addictive dynamic sound, feels like sounds are coming at you from all over the place... love it 😀
Awesome I'll give that a try once I finish listening to stock a few hours. EDM already sound great on my SS amp, but I just wanna feel a bit more emotional, especially with vocal trance. Placed my order yesterday. Can't wait!

May 11, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #416 of 750
Awesome I'll give that a try once I finish listening to stock a few hours. EDM already sound great on my SS amp, but I just wanna feel a bit more emotional, especially with vocal trance. Placed my order yesterday. Can't wait!
Nice! You will have a killer SS/Tube combo there, with your 3F and Aegis. Talk about the best of both worlds for ZMF's, in my opinion you have it.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #417 of 750
Random memory: It was the mid-1960s. For reasons I can't recall I was in downtown Manhattan with my father. The area where the World Trade Centers would later be built was all 2 to 4 story buildings, an aging neighborhood that time had passed by. The whole place was one big DIY audio flea market: open stalls everywhere, inside & outside buildings. Every electronic component you can imagine (going back to before WWI) was there for sale, dirt cheap. There were 1000s of tubes, all sizes. This memory haunts me.

Just two examples:
  • All the best Mullard tubes were 10-15 yrs old at that point ... nobody but TV repairment & guitarists were even slightly interested
  • 6SN7s, every brand. Probably 25 cents each, less if you buy bulk
.... and at that time, the 6922 was a recent development by Philips .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 11, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #418 of 750
Have any of you tried preamping the OTL into the Aegis? If so what are your thoughts?

May 11, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #419 of 750
Talking of Mullard… the ECC35 tall boys have turned up today. Listening to them now but to early to form any conclusions but. Definitely more about the mids I think compared to the RCA Red Base 5691s. Richer mids, touch warmer but still has good treble, smooth as you like with very good staging.

I think the 5691s are more dynamic but it’ll take a while to form a reliable feel to them and how I’ll use them.

IMG_6741.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #420 of 750
Talking of Mullard… the ECC35 tall boys have turned up today. Listening to them now but to early to form any conclusions but. Definitely more about the mids I think compared to the RCA Red Base 5691s. Richer mids, touch warmer but still has good treble, smooth as you like with very good staging.

I think the 5691s are more dynamic but it’ll take a while to form a reliable feel to them and how I’ll use them.

IMG_6741.jpeg
What are the two tubes in the back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back