ZMF Caldera Closed
May 13, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #631 of 721
We tried to come up with something to help identify caldera pads but it's confused everyone internally and externally. These are the same pads as the Caldera Open already has, just with top and side perf.

Were going to pull the air name and just go by perforation style.

So all Caldera pads will be designed as caldera pads.

The designation will go like this:

Caldera Pad, material type, thickness, perforation style

Two examples -

Caldera Protein Thin (top perf only)

Caldera Lambskin Thick (top/side perf)

Hope that makes sense!

That will be nice cause I have the impression that they’re another variant.

PadChart3.png

May 13, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #632 of 721
Spent the 2nd half of yesterday pulling out all my spare amps to see what synergizes with the CC (and CO too). Here's a few thoughts, nothing too detailed, I only spent at most an hour per amp. If one set synergized well, the other did too (ie if the CC liked it, the CO did to, vice versa).

Kenzie OG Rev 2 - Excellent synergy with the CC. Surprisingly good synergy. The Kenzie is a very lush, warm SET amp with a moderate soundstage, and overall excellent technical ability. What sets this one back at times is the noise floor. This amp is notoriously fussy with RFI. Thankfully the CC wasn't picking up any noise, and that warm, lush tonality really synergized well with the aggressive CC. I almost brought the amp to work, I enjoyed it so much. But work is an RFI nightmare, and the Kenzie tends to pick it up pretty bad. :frowning2:

LTA MZ2 - Good synergy, but not as good as the Kenzie for my preferences. The MZ2 is a more neutrally tuned OTL that offers better technical ability than the Kenzie, but doesn't synergize as well for me with the CC. I say this because I liked the Kenzie's warmth, which tempered the CC's cooler more aggressive nature. But the MZ2 is also more of a fast and neutral listen. Pair that with a similar fast/neutral headphone, and it's too much. The CC sounded like it was on a solid state amp on the MZ2. Ultra fast, precise, and controlled. The MZ2 easily powered the CC, with great driver control and dynamic range. But that neutrality was just too much for these ears. Amazing amp for the Bokeh and AC though! Synergy is strong with those two. I'll still say good synergy as not everyone is a darkness lover like me, so some will appreciate the pairing.

Woo WA3 - Poor synergy. It's an old school OTL, and is just not meant for power hungry planars. Volume was good, but dynamics lacking significantly. Loose, resonant bass. Piercing highs. Bloated mids. Lacking dynamic range. Classic signs of underpowered performance. Now the 300ohm dynamics on this bad boy is another story. Epic synergy! But for the CC specifically, don't bother.

Asgard 3 - Good synergy, "FOR SOLID STATE". I had to qualify that. I just don't like the CC on solid state. So those who do can disregard that qualification. But for tube lovers needing a solid state option, the Asgard isn't a bad option. It's an inheirently warm and smooth solid state amp with good but not great technical performance. Power is more than adequate. It's just not the most resolving amp out there, especially for solid state. But that's what synergizes well with the CC. That slightly smoothed out and blurred resolution tempers the aggressive CC nicely. Dynamic range is excellent. Under duress it easily handled anything I could torture test it with, never losing it's composure or control of the drivers. And even under duress it's dynamic range remained high.

iFi Zen Can - Good synergy. WITH BASS BOOST! I have an iFi stack of the Zen Dac and Zen Can as a backup system when space is very limited. Very nice sounding combo that's somewhat smoothed over and soft sounding. The Zen Can has one feature I was loving with the CC....BASS BOOST! It made the CC a much thicker, bassier set, which was really fun. And even with the bass boost off the Zen combo was smooth and warm sounding, making this a decent budget solid state option. Plenty of power, with good dynamic range. I think the Asgard 3 amp is more refined and accomplished, but not by a huge margin.

Vali 2+ - Borderline power output makes the V2+ a tough recommendation on the CC. You'll get plenty of volume. Dynamics and technical prowess though are somewhat muted with the V2+/CC combo. I'd pass.

Magni 2 - No! Don't do it. Just don't. I've had this little amp sitting in a drawer for years, often used in tandem with a Modi 2U for TV/Game purposes. So why the big fat no? This little amp is strident with the CC. We're talking some really uncomfortable glare and harshness. Power was borderline. It got loud, but dynamics were compromised. Not as bad as the Vali 2+, but not that that much better. For me personally, i'd rather just not listen at all vs listening on this stack.

So after a lot of amp testing, my current favorite amps for the CC are in order, 1 being best:

1) - DNA Stratus - It's a beast of an amp in all the good ways. Excellent sonics, dynamics, technicalities. Just a top shelf amp giving top shelf sound. Nuff said.

2) - Ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev 2 - Amazing tonal synergy with the CC. Gives added warmth and smoothness vs the Stratus. But just cannot compete with the Stratus' technical ability or dynamic range.

3) - Hagerman Tuba - This little amp is always surprising me. Like seriously, I should know by now not to doubt it. But I do. And I feel dumb every time for it when the amp outperforms my expectations. I'm cranking the volume dial hard with the CC, but sonically it's a home run. Not as rich and warm as the Kenzie, nor as dynamic and explosive as the Stratus. But the great thing is it walks a middle ground between the two amps above it. It's not as warm as the Kenzie but slightly warmer than the Stratus. It lacks the dynamic range of the Stratus, but has slightly more than the Kenzie. It just sounds good, as it ALWAYS does. This is one of the most versatile and great sounding tube amps out there. Yeah you can get more expensive specialized amps that eat it's lunch, but that's not the point. The Tuba is as flexible as a solid state amp. But with tubes, and tube sonics.

That's it. Outside those three, I'd rather just grab a different headphone. It was a fun weekend with the Calderas. I have been testing them every chance I get, or just plain relaxing and listening.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #633 of 721
Spent the 2nd half of yesterday pulling out all my spare amps to see what synergizes with the CC (and CO too). Here's a few thoughts, nothing too detailed, I only spent at most an hour per amp. If one set synergized well, the other did too (ie if the CC liked it, the CO did to, vice versa).

Kenzie OG Rev 2 - Excellent synergy with the CC. Surprisingly good synergy. The Kenzie is a very lush, warm SET amp with a moderate soundstage, and overall excellent technical ability. What sets this one back at times is the noise floor. This amp is notoriously fussy with RFI. Thankfully the CC wasn't picking up any noise, and that warm, lush tonality really synergized well with the aggressive CC. I almost brought the amp to work, I enjoyed it so much. But work is an RFI nightmare, and the Kenzie tends to pick it up pretty bad. :frowning2:

LTA MZ2 - Good synergy, but not as good as the Kenzie for my preferences. The MZ2 is a more neutrally tuned OTL that offers better technical ability than the Kenzie, but doesn't synergize as well for me with the CC. I say this because I liked the Kenzie's warmth, which tempered the CC's cooler more aggressive nature. But the MZ2 is also more of a fast and neutral listen. Pair that with a similar fast/neutral headphone, and it's too much. The CC sounded like it was on a solid state amp on the MZ2. Ultra fast, precise, and controlled. The MZ2 easily powered the CC, with great driver control and dynamic range. But that neutrality was just too much for these ears. Amazing amp for the Bokeh and AC though! Synergy is strong with those two. I'll still say good synergy as not everyone is a darkness lover like me, so some will appreciate the pairing.

Woo WA3 - Poor synergy. It's an old school OTL, and is just not meant for power hungry planars. Volume was good, but dynamics lacking significantly. Loose, resonant bass. Piercing highs. Bloated mids. Lacking dynamic range. Classic signs of underpowered performance. Now the 300ohm dynamics on this bad boy is another story. Epic synergy! But for the CC specifically, don't bother.

Asgard 3 - Good synergy, "FOR SOLID STATE". I had to qualify that. I just don't like the CC on solid state. So those who do can disregard that qualification. But for tube lovers needing a solid state option, the Asgard isn't a bad option. It's an inheirently warm and smooth solid state amp with good but not great technical performance. Power is more than adequate. It's just not the most resolving amp out there, especially for solid state. But that's what synergizes well with the CC. That slightly smoothed out and blurred resolution tempers the aggressive CC nicely. Dynamic range is excellent. Under duress it easily handled anything I could torture test it with, never losing it's composure or control of the drivers. And even under duress it's dynamic range remained high.

iFi Zen Can - Good synergy. WITH BASS BOOST! I have an iFi stack of the Zen Dac and Zen Can as a backup system when space is very limited. Very nice sounding combo that's somewhat smoothed over and soft sounding. The Zen Can has one feature I was loving with the CC....BASS BOOST! It made the CC a much thicker, bassier set, which was really fun. And even with the bass boost off the Zen combo was smooth and warm sounding, making this a decent budget solid state option. Plenty of power, with good dynamic range. I think the Asgard 3 amp is more refined and accomplished, but not by a huge margin.

Vali 2+ - Borderline power output makes the V2+ a tough recommendation on the CC. You'll get plenty of volume. Dynamics and technical prowess though are somewhat muted with the V2+/CC combo. I'd pass.

Magni 2 - No! Don't do it. Just don't. I've had this little amp sitting in a drawer for years, often used in tandem with a Modi 2U for TV/Game purposes. So why the big fat no? This little amp is strident with the CC. We're talking some really uncomfortable glare and harshness. Power was borderline. It got loud, but dynamics were compromised. Not as bad as the Vali 2+, but not that that much better. For me personally, i'd rather just not listen at all vs listening on this stack.

So after a lot of amp testing, my current favorite amps for the CC are in order, 1 being best:

1) - DNA Stratus - It's a beast of an amp in all the good ways. Excellent sonics, dynamics, technicalities. Just a top shelf amp giving top shelf sound. Nuff said.

2) - Ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev 2 - Amazing tonal synergy with the CC. Gives added warmth and smoothness vs the Stratus. But just cannot compete with the Stratus' technical ability or dynamic range.

3) - Hagerman Tuba - This little amp is always surprising me. Like seriously, I should know by now not to doubt it. But I do. And I feel dumb every time for it when the amp outperforms my expectations. I'm cranking the volume dial hard with the CC, but sonically it's a home run. Not as rich and warm as the Kenzie, nor as dynamic and explosive as the Stratus. But the great thing is it walks a middle ground between the two amps above it. It's not as warm as the Kenzie but slightly warmer than the Stratus. It lacks the dynamic range of the Stratus, but has slightly more than the Kenzie. It just sounds good, as it ALWAYS does. This is one of the most versatile and great sounding tube amps out there. Yeah you can get more expensive specialized amps that eat it's lunch, but that's not the point. The Tuba is as flexible as a solid state amp. But with tubes, and tube sonics.

That's it. Outside those three, I'd rather just grab a different headphone. It was a fun weekend with the Calderas. I have been testing them every chance I get, or just plain relaxing and listening.

It also depends upon what tubes you are using in the MZ2. They will vary the sound quite a bit.

May 13, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #634 of 721

I love the fact that you have 8 different amplifiers. 😎
Now I don’t feel so bad for wanting a 4th amplifier in my main mothership rack. ☺️
Thank you for your impressions.

May 13, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #635 of 721
Now I don’t feel so bad for wanting a 4th amplifier in my main mothership rack. ☺️
That is what this community is about. We make each other feel better. :wink:

May 13, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #636 of 721
I own an DCA E3 since a few weeks, was very impressed by its precision and details, but for me a bit too much dynamics which create some fatigue on certain tracks, I am wondering if the CC is really worth the BIG price difference besides the wood ?...

May 13, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #637 of 721
That is what this community is about. We make each other feel better. :wink:
Always nice to know I’m not alone or made to feel like some strange, eccentric man. Lol.
I’ve got 3 headphone amplifiers at the moment and they all sound very different from one another. I definitely want a forth. The Ageis is absolutely beautiful, but I already have an all designed tube amplifier.
It would be impractical, but something like the homage is worth considering, especially since I do want a CC. ☺️

May 13, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #638 of 721
Thank you for your impressions.
There's a few more laying around in various places hahaha My name is Eric and i'm an amplifieraholic. It's been 3 days since my last amplifier purchase...

Joking aside I normally am good at recycling the lesser used gear, but with used prices dipping, and my laziness spiking, it created the perfect storm of audio hording. I'll be selling quite a few of those amps as soon as time and motivation permits. If anyone wants to snag any of these PM me: Kenzie OG Rev 2, LTA MZ2, and Jot 2 (no dac). Also selling my Holo Audio Cyan PCM and a few headphones.

May 13, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #639 of 721
Always nice to know I’m not alone or made to feel like some strange, eccentric man. Lol.
Ah no no, our species just evolved differently. The area of the brain related to hearing is totally autonomous making its own decisions (especially about purchasing) and more importantly is very very close to the pleasure center.

May 13, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #640 of 721
Grew up with the Peanuts cartoons, and that wonderful music. Today sampling random Jazz I came across this. Now I finally know who made that wonderful music. Giving me goosebumps and filling me with so many forgotten memories. The CC renders it so well, an unexpectedly emotional day "working". :) It's something special to be sitting here listening to this and recalling being so young (6ish?) and finding a lost toy under some furniture while Peanuts was playing on the TV, and that instant feeling of triumph and joy to hold again such a beloved treasure that was thought lost forever. If you're curious it was a Star Wars figure, Luke Skywalker in his Hoth outfit. I almost cried finding that stupid thing under whatever it was that day. And the music was playing behind me on the TV, cementing the moment into a memory to be recalled 40+ years later as if I was young again clutching that dumb figure. Thank you Vince for the beautiful music. Thank you Zach for the beautiful CC to play it back on. And screw you George Lucas for Jar Jar! Sorry, Jar Jar scarred me...

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #641 of 721
There's a few more laying around in various places hahaha My name is Eric and i'm an amplifieraholic. It's been 3 days since my last amplifier purchase...

Joking aside I normally am good at recycling the lesser used gear, but with used prices dipping, and my laziness spiking, it created the perfect storm of audio hording. I'll be selling quite a few of those amps as soon as time and motivation permits. If anyone wants to snag any of these PM me: Kenzie OG Rev 2, LTA MZ2, and Jot 2 (no dac). Also selling my Holo Audio Cyan PCM and a few headphones.

9 amps here at the moment... (that's when I don't have 1-2 extra for testing)

I came to terms with it. I used to go to AA meetings (Amplifiers Anonymous) but it didn't work... 🤷‍♂️

May 14, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #642 of 721
I got sidetracked with obsessing over Aegis tube options and never gave my thoughts after the day ended.

First, the AC and CC are excellent compliments to each other, IMO. When you want warm, smooth, darker, romantic/euphonic tuning, the AC is a home run. On the other side the CC excels at speed, precision, technicalities, and clarity. An excellent one/two punch for when you want to peer deep into the music or just let is swallow you up as a whole.

Yeah yeah that's been said enough times, right? Nothing new there, though worth repeating.

First, the AC is definitely in the same league as the CC. Different tuning absolutely. It's strengths are very different than the CC. Listening to it after a few days on the Calderas exclusively, it was like coming home to a warm loving hug. That seductive warmth and bloom just felt good to me, felt right. But man did it sound downright slow and smokey in comparison. You don't buy the AC over the CC for resolution. You buy it for it's musical and euphonic macro presentation. And from top to bottom it nails it, assuming your preferences lie in the darkness like mine.

So if you like warm you'll hate the CC, right? I won't speak for everyone but that's a big hel no for me. I love the thing! I'm still learning it and the CO, but I know I really love what the Calderas are doing. It's brighter, faster, less euphonic, thinner, and more aggressive. But it works, despite me generally hating that type of sound signature. For reference I don't like the Utopia, Susavara, etc. Too bright, and in a way that aggravates my tinnitus to no end. The CC is putting out some similar high frequency levels, but it's not fatiguing. I've spent a good amount of hours on both the CC and CO and i've yet to have my ears start ringing. For reference the first gen Utopia had them ringing in 30 minutes. Ringing bad. So despite my love of darkness, I'm enjoying the CC easily as much as the AC. It's such a different experience. With the CC i'm listening more analytically while still finding the experience highly engaging and musical.

Here's the thing though, the AC just rocks me harder from a macro perspective. So my one concern is once I get over the resolution, will I really yearn for the CC like I do the AC/Atticus/Bokeh? Time will tell, though so far my instincts tell me I will. I've never heard such a resolving AND musical combination before.

A bit of some random thoughts I wrote down while listening throughout the day:

First listen to the AC felt like coming home, so good, so right.

AC sounds hazy after all those hours with the CC.

Despite the haziness, it's still extremely resolving. More than enough for me.

(AC) THAT BASS! love the resonance and slow decay.

CC and Jazz is scary good. I'm hearing little nuances I've never heard before. Cross checked the same tracks on the AC and yep, they're there, but buried deep in the mix, not easily identified.

The CC is making me seek out violin solos, the rendition is mesmerizing. On AC sounds dull.

The CC's soundstage is so laser precise. Precision is what always comes to mind with the CC.

Metal works better for me on the AC. Iron Maiden - Live After Death never sounded better on the AC. On CC a bit harsh and overly vivid. AC gives goosebumps.

Female vocals are so seductive on the AC, yet I prefer the added nuance of the CC.

Old school thrash is really aggressive on the CC. Too aggressive. Bokeh does this best IMO.

60s/70's classic rock is sounding more engaging on the CC! Never thought anything would dethrone the AC here. Panama.....PANAMA-AH

Double bass blasts on the CC never seem to blur/blend. AC no slouch, but CC just never loses composure.

No winners/losers here, just preference.

Not disagreeing with you here, but I always found the stock lambskin pads on the AC sort of holds it back from it's full potential technical wise because of the high bass boost.

I feel that those lambskin pads are more suitable when your source chain are on the analytical side. To my ears, the technically gap between the CC and AC will be closer if the AC used the suede pads.

This was my findings when I was testing around AC and comparing it with similarly priced planars. Haven't had a chance to demo the CC though.

May 14, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #643 of 721
I feel like giving convention impressions are a bit useless personally. Largely because it’s such a loud environment any sense of imaging or stage goes out the window. The only thing you can ascertain from a convention is just the overall tonality and if that aligns with your preference. Beyond that, deep listening is needed before saying a headphone is good or bad.
I have to second this. I attended Canjam NYC and Zach had the CC to demo. I tried listening on Saturday, but the cacophony of noise made it a useless endeavor. I returned on Sunday morning (early) and had the CCs all to myself on an Cayin amp for about 30 minutes w/only a several people in the room. I surmise that Zach continued to tune them a bit since January, so I am looking forward to Canjam Dallas again in November to listen again. They sounded awesome (sorry for the detailed review). I need a side by side with the AC to see if I need a complement to the VCs. Hopefully will be able to compare the AC/CC at that time.

May 14, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #644 of 721
I have to second this. I attended Canjam NYC and Zach had the CC to demo. I tried listening on Saturday, but the cacophony of noise made it a useless endeavor. I returned on Sunday morning (early) and had the CCs all to myself on an Cayin amp for about 30 minutes w/only a several people in the room. I surmise that Zach continued to tune them a bit since January, so I am looking forward to Canjam Dallas again in November to listen again. They sounded awesome (sorry for the detailed review). I need a side by side with the AC to see if I need a complement to the VCs. Hopefully will be able to compare the AC/CC at that time.
Yeah in the NYCJ thread someone was asking for like a quiet time and I’m kind of inclined to want that too. Or at least a room where is no talking and vendors can bring like one or two headphones to try it out. That would go a long way with actually seeing if you like something about a headphone.

Super stoked to hear how the CC sounds though. In general I still prefer open backs, but I have been on a quest to find a headphone with stupid sub bass.

May 14, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #645 of 721
Not disagreeing with you here, but I always found the stock lambskin pads on the AC sort of holds it back from it's full potential technical wise because of the high bass boost.

I feel that those lambskin pads are more suitable when your source chain are on the analytical side. To my ears, the technically gap between the CC and AC will be closer if the AC used the suede pads.

This was my findings when I was testing around AC and comparing it with similarly priced planars. Haven't had a chance to demo the CC though.
I agree the thick bass of the stock lamb pads do make things a bit congested and hazy at times. I just prefer that bass to the suede bass, which is why I keep those pads on. I wasn't trying to do a full blown technical shoot out, as even with the suede pads the CC would easily win. It was more for my tastes, how do they compare. I do agree with the suede pads the AC has some really good technical ability, especially considering how dynamic it is. Now you have me curious to do a suede AC vs CC shootout haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back