New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #631 of 1,792
I was unable to log in until today, and did not see the extent of functionality loss for myself up till now. However, I have been following this thread for a while, and was similarly frustrated along with everybody else about the layout changes. The desktop version in particular has been a mess. I have used other Xenforo forums, and this was beyond the pale. It's not the ads (most of the racy stuff was blocked router-side), but the weird padding and whitespace. The mobile version has been much better (probably because less has been done to the stock implementation), especially after a few CSS tweaks. The footer padding is still wonky, so I have elected to hide it completely. I recommend that people offended by the new visuals stick to the mobile version. At this point, functionality between the two versions seem to be equivalent, unlike Huddler, so there's not much to lose. I was initially working on an userstyle that I was going to post once I was able to log in, but I am more or less satisfied with the mobile site over time (this is just in references to the layout, not functionality). Hopefully, the staff will allow for other Xenforo styles once the bugs are hammered out.

I have no strong opinion on Xenforo, but I will say that it's about time HTTPS was introduced. I am also glad to see that the privacy options from Xenforo are here, and that posts from ignored users are completely hidden (I had to do that manually in the past). It would have been nice to give us an opportunity to save our blocklist before the migration.I have also not seen an explanation as to why members were not informed of this migration. I would try to search for a previous mention of it, but there is no search functionality to speak of. At least the staff has been (relatively) responsive thus far, but one imagines that the situation would have been much better if they were accomodating of feedback before the rollout of the new site.

As for the loss of other Huddler-specific functionalities, there's nothing I can say there that hasn't been said. I am particularly displeased about the neutering of search functions. I also had to change a couple of my quickmarks to reflect the changes in relative paths, but that's not really that big a deal.

There are some other niceties. Unposted replies to a thread are perserved as I navigate through the thread. The editor is not as broken as CK Editor on Huddler. I no longer have to deal with YUI occasionally not loading. And apparently some people are getting pictures of pretty Asian woman on the sidebar. I used to have to go out of my way to find those.

And my custom title! I've set a similar status on my profile, but it was only ever funny because one of the staff gave it to me as a title and it made me feel like a special little snowflake who was so much better than everybody else. With that gone, what's this all been for? What am I working towards? You've taken away the only identity I've had.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #634 of 1,792
And my custom title! I've set a similar status on my profile, but it was only ever funny because one of the staff gave it to me as a title and it made me feel like a special little snowflake who was so much better than everybody else. With that gone, what's this all been for? What am I working towards? You've taken away the only identity I've had.

I know, right? I felt so cool being called "Pokémon trainer of headphones"...and now the custom titles are gone, along with the designation of thread starter and all sorts of other things.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #635 of 1,792
The site looks nicer now from a purely aestethic perspective. But other than that it sucks. I no longer feel the need to go to Head fi to check out the forums.

The site is much heavier now so I cannot use it with my older Sony android phone. The browser crashes whenever I go to Head fi. That never happened before.

Will it be possible to upload images to Head fi? It's very limiting to only be able to link to a url. I'll probably stop selling stuff here since you cannot create decent looking for sale listings any more.
I used to be able to see all my active listings and how many views the listings had received etc. Now I have to find the list of all my postings and remember which listings are active. If I want to bump a listing I have to reply to it. No longer can I choose to just click the "bump listing". So now my listings will have a long row of "bump" replies from me...

Where is the option to search threads? That was one of the tools I used the most here. If I am looking through a 200 page thread and want to find a specific post, how do I go about now? It used to be that I choose "search this thread" and type a word. Am I now supposed to look through the 200 pages for the specific post?

Sure, the page looks more modern now, but it is severely crippled and less intuitive. I'd rather pick a more dated look with better functionality than a nice look with bad functionality...

Please work on improving the functionality and make the new design as useful as the old or else you will lose me as an active member.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #636 of 1,792
I am unable to post on the thread in the Feedback subforum (not sure why, but the reply box does not appear, and yes, I made sure I was logged in), so I will post here:

A LIST OF ISSUES (STILL A WORK IN PROCESS):
  • (Some parts seem to be restricted to the mobile version, but liking posts and switching to BBCode, for instance, has this error on both desktop and mobile views) While trying to mark PMs read, I get an "undefined security error occurred". I've read others have the same issue with liking posts, which also happens with me. This also occurs with many other widgets, i.e. attempting to go into the BBCode editor through the widget on the top-right hand side of the reply editor. Looks like some sort of jQuery bug.
    • Security errors also show up on the recently posted and activities section of all profile pages
  • (On the mobile version) Threads with >1000 pages have this:
    • IBxroQw.png
  • (On the mobile version) Buttons overlap with the navigation container
    • d1mvdyi.png
    • In fact, almost everything overlaps with the nav container. Easy enough to adjust the CSS property for that.
  • My login session times out after every 15 minutes. Think I've seen this complaint from others as well. I'm watching over my cookies so that I can confirm this happens, the next time it happens.
    • Update - seems to be a bit more intermittent than 15 minutes. Unable to find out why.
  • Preview overlays for the sticky sections of subforums are fixed-width. In the case of the Sound Science forum, the contents flow beyond the overlay. This seems to be more of a problem with the Sound Science's section, as it is not an issue for other subforums. I'm having trouble taking a screenshot, but will add it in later if I do succeed.
  • No way to strikethrough text with the Rich Text editor. I'd try to use the BBcode editor, but the widget still does not work.
From @nick n:
  • No option to go to your last post (very helpful aside from searching within thread option)
  • More complete date stamp with time for posts
    • @TwinQY: will add that edit timestamps also lack the specific time on mobile
  • User selectable options section header font colours almost white in the account settings section (within the left sidebar links at Account Alerts ) impossible / too hard to see
  • Small stuff like the # of new posts popup in a thread / popup notification for new messages
  • Top and bottom of pages no longer have the depth-of-viewed-page-tree to avoid having to scroll way back up to renavigate (lazy yeah but it was good)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #637 of 1,792
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, it probably has but here it goes anyway.
Regarding the classifieds, they do not show other items for sale along the bottom that a seller might have offered in other ads.
And I don't see the date of the seller joining Head-Fi. I found that valuable in determining the trustworthiness of a seller.
And no pictures are showing up in the ads.

And of course the known issue of not being able to PM the seller without going through a bunch of convoluted steps :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #638 of 1,792
Will it be possible to upload images to Head fi? It's very limiting to only be able to link to a url. I'll probably stop selling stuff here since you cannot create decent looking for sale listings any more.

Where is the option to search threads? That was one of the tools I used the most here. If I am looking through a 200 page thread and want to find a specific post, how do I go about now? It used to be that I chose "search this thread" and typed a word. Am I now supposed to look through the 200 pages for the specific post?

To upload images, click "Upload a File" at the bottom. (It's between "Post Reply" and "More Options...")

To search the site, you can use Google for now. Here's an example using this thread:

https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=site:head-fi.org/f/threads/new-head-fi-update.845500+"keyword"

I put "keyword" in quotes, but you would put whichever keywords you're looking for. Of course, you're limited to what Google picks up, but it's better than nothing. I always used this method anyway in the past.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #639 of 1,792
Unfortunately, there's no way to filter posts by users with this method. (I would have directly quoted you, but the widget gives me an undefined security error as well, while it did not moments ago).

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #640 of 1,792
Unfortunately, there's no way to filter posts by users with this method.

I've used Google to search for specific posts by specific people (and so on) plenty of times. But, again, it's limited to what the search engine picks up, and it looks like it's not picking up updates from the site so well like it used to.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #641 of 1,792
@jude Thanks for communicating with the community, I only wish you had done so earlier as that would have fostered much more good will and less whinging. Now that we know that you are working to make things more familiar I'm sure many will give you a break on this. I suspect you've picked up a lot of useful info from this thread, despite the red faces. Good luck and make sure the team gets some sleep. The ball's in your court.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #642 of 1,792
Anyone know how to change the asking price in your ad?

When I click on "Edit" it only allows you to edit the "body" of the ad :triportsad:

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #644 of 1,792
Hey guys -- we're not pleased with the dating type ads either (trust me), and we're taking care of them as fast as we can. If you see them, please send me a PM with the URL of the site they're trying to get you to go to so we can axe them. Please note that even when we block them, it takes time for it to process after we initiate the process.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #645 of 1,792
Hey guys -- we're not pleased with the dating type ads either (trust me), and we're taking care of them as fast as we can. If you see them, please send me a PM with the URL of the site they're trying to get you to go to so we can axe them. Please note that even when we block them, it takes time for it to process after we initiate the process.

Awesome! I'm not sure about this one, but it's a movie ad.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/demolition/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back