Auglamour RT-1

1. Niyologist
    Auglamour RT-1: The Imperfect Gem.
    Written by Niyologist
    Published Dec 20, 2017
    Pros - Balanced sound, extended treble, Large Soundstage, Excellent Packaging, Removable Cable, Excellent shell design.
    Cons - Springy cable, No chin slider, slightly recessed midrange (at least slightly recessed vocals), cable noise, Mild Driver Flex, finicky fit and seal (depends on the eartips being used).
    Auglamour RT-1: The Imperfect Gem.

Introduction:

I’m a man that’s pursuing the Ultimate Sound. In a form that’s portable. A journey that’s paved by endless hard work and great commitment. The pursuit of Ultimate Sound isn’t just experiencing it. It’s also understanding it. So I thought it’s good to start at the basics. The foundation of Ultimate Sound usually begins from Consumer sound signatures. Basically V-Shaped sound (elevated Bass, recessed mid-range and elevated treble).

What led me to the RT-1?

Just curiosity. To see what type of Ultimate Sound the RT-1 possesses under $100.

Let’s start with what the RT-1 has.

Packaging:

The RT-1 has very premium packaging for Under $100. The box shell was made out of a thick plastic. It has a carrying case, A removable cable, 4 pairs of silicone eartips, and yellow foam tips. There’s also a cleaning brush to keep the top canals of the RT-1 clean. Along with a metal Auglamour charm and a metal eartip holder. I don’t know if it’s a charm. It seems like one. That eartip holder seems very convenient, but a bit sharp. So do not hold it out in public. It seems almost “knife-like”.

IMG_20171204_125350.jpg

IMG_20171204_125813.jpg

IMG_20171204_125915.jpg

IMG_20171204_125958.jpg

cameringo_20171220_232136.jpg

cameringo_20171220_233147.jpg

cameringo_20171220_233153.jpg

Specs:
    • Product Type: dynamic driver and balanced armature hybrid in-ear earphone
    • Product Material: MIM Zinc Alloy & ABS & PC
    • Sensitivity: 105DB ± 3DB
    • Cable length: 1.2M
    • Plug: 3.5MM Gold-Plated
    • Wire: PVC + oxygen-free copper

On paper. The RT-1 seems to be a bit power hungry. Yet it really isn't true. I only needed moderate gain and moderate volume.

Build:

Before I go on. I should mention that the cable used in these pics are an upgrade cable that I had sitting around. The RT-1 is pretty sturdy. It’s made out of a hard ABS plastic and molded very well for under $100. The shell has a triangular There’s a shiny multi colored reflective plastic that makes it dazzle with the surrounding lighting. It reminds me of the stainless glass church windows that I see downtown.

30fa357a814b952f9f976fbfbf82c467--stained-glass-art-stained-glass-windows.jpg

The cable is thick and sturdy. Yet I feel that a better job could have been done for the cable. It’s too springy and it doesn’t even have a chin slider. So that makes it difficult to walk around with. Thankfully the cables are replaceable. So I used a 0.75mm 2 pin Upgrade Cable. It fits very well. I didn’t even force it. Fits like a glove.

cameringo_20171219_181809.jpg

cameringo_20171219_182233.jpg

cameringo_20171219_182442.jpg

cameringo_20171219_182534.jpg

IMG_20171218_232203.jpg

Isolation and Fit:

I find this part a bit conflicting. The isolation is great. Despite the shallow fit. The seal can be good, but for my ears. I would need elongated silicone eartips. Foam tips can work. It will need to be the perfect size. It might be due to the nozzle angle. Which is making the fit a bit annoying. I used the eartips I got from the Hidizs EP3 and was near a perfect fit. Still not ideal but it’s getting there. I’ll get proper aftermarket eartips soon. Otherwise, Comply Foam tips are perfect for the RT-1. It eliminates the fit and minor driver flex problem.

Now finally the sound.

Source:

OPUS #1 (MIDDLE GAIN W/NO EQ) (MODERATE VOLUME)

AUNE M1S (MP FILTER AND MIDDLE GAIN) (MODERATE VOLUME)

Rage Against The Machines – Wake Up

Andy Hauck – Are You There

Coins – Drums Drums Drums

Celldweller – Pulse Injector

Stratovarius – Papillon

Fall With Glory – Fight With Honor

Galneryus - Stardust

After long listening, I found the RT-1 to warm and smooth. With a sense of relaxation. The whole presentation is very relaxed. It reminds me of my Final Audio Design F7200. Although I feel that only the ambience of the entire spectrum is comparable.

Bass:

This part of the frequency spectrum is handled pretty well. It’s very balanced and carries a bit of warmth. The bass from the RT-1 can reach to subterranean levels and it’s quite audible down to 30 Hz. The slam has moderate impact. The quantity is also moderate. Making this ideal for Most Electronic music. The texture of the bass is pretty smooth and almost elastic. Which can make the tone transitions easy to achieve. The mid bass seems to be even with the RT-1. Maybe slightly elevated in bass heavy tracks.

Mids:

The next part of the spectrum for the RT-1 takes a slight back seat to the bass and treble. I would consider the lower mid-range the most recessed part of the frequency. It’s known because of the male vocals. I find the male vocals very relaxed and dulled. Just average in presentation. In fast tracks, the male vocals can get a bit lost in the mix. Pretty surprising because of the Soundstage size. Now moving on to the upper mids. The presence of this part is not in your face or behind the scenes. It’s generally inbetween. The female vocals do better. Unfortunately it’s not significantly better. The best aspect of the mid-range is the instruments. Mainly the percussion section. Now as for the strings. It seems to be smooth in general. That all changes when there's more energy into the strings. It starts to sound a bit coarse. That's not my cup of tea, but that may be good for others. I'm just basing this solely on personal preference. The drums perform well on non-metal tracks. The way the drummer taps on the drum gives a sense of nuance. As for treble heavy tracks, like Metal. It’s too splashy and bright. I usually end up equalizing it for a softer impact. Generally the mids are smooth and balanced. Unless if electric guitars are involved.

Treble:

This part is bit tricky. The lower treble is elevated. Although, not tremendously so. It’s just slightly elevated for non-Metal tracks. This part of the frequency seems slightly energetic, yet tamed. It might get a bit out of hand. Depending on the mastery of the track and the genre of the track. Although it's not hot or piercing with most of the tracks I tested them out with. The details seem to be above average for the lower treble. As for the upper treble. It takes a slight tumble in both detail and decibels.

Soundstage:

This part is interesting. The dynamics and accuracy played a huge part in determining the size of the soundstage. I used Stardust by Galneryus to determine the size of the soundstage. It's above average for under $100. It can keep up with the Havi B3 Pro I overall. Yet still falls short in dynamics and size. In terms of accuracy. It's decent. The instruments can stay clear and distinct in moderate and fast tracks. Although once again. It depends on the mastery of the track. Well mastered tracks will fare well with the RT-1.

Conclusion:

This IEM is very unique. The sound it has is a bit complex and looks gorgeous. I feel that it's a great competitor for under $100 and can perform very well with most soundtracks. The sound it has is unique and it's not entirely bad. It's not your typical consumer sound. So this may make a good IEM for startup Audiophiles. If you are into a relaxed sound with a bit of top end shimmer. Then these IEMs are for you. Bassheads definitely won't like the RT-1. It's more treble heavy than the usual basshead IEM. If you can't stand driver flex. Then this isn't for you either.
    1. farisq
      Hi, may I know what replacement cable do you use? I'm looking for one as I got cable with mic which I don't prefer
      farisq, Jan 6, 2018
    2. farisq
      I tried KZ ZS5 cable which is I thik is 0.75mm, but doesn't seem to fit well, a bit hard to push in...
      farisq, Jan 6, 2018
  2. Cinder
    Unapologetically Different
    Written by Cinder
    Published Dec 5, 2017
    Pros - Outstanding design, good relaxed V-shaped sound signature, competent accessory package, decent cable
    Cons - Cable is tangly and microphonic
    Auglamour RT-1 Review: Unapologetically Different

Ever since I saw the Auglamour R8, the company’s first mainstream IEM, I was captivated by their design language. A seamless blend of organic curves and hard edges made me wonder why I’d never heard of them before. The R8 kept it simple with a metal shell and a single dynamic driver. This formula worked well and I really enjoyed the R8. However, Auglamour wasn’t satisfied with just that. They’ve aspired to larger and greater things and have now come to us with the RT-1, an IEM with a radical design language that takes courage. Not Apple-style courage, real courage. I gotta say though, it damn well paid off.

You can find the RT-1 for sale here, on Penon Audio, for $55.

Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me free of charge for review purposes. I am not affiliated with Auglamour beyond this review. These words reflect my true, unaltered, opinion about the product.

Preference and Bias: Before reading a review, it is worth mentioning that there is no way for a reviewer to objectively pass judgment on the enjoy-ability of a product: such a thing is inherently subjective. Therefore, I find it necessary for you to read and understand what I take a natural liking to and how that might affect my rating of a product.

My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, mid-bass. The mids should be slightly less pronounced than the treble, but still ahead of the bass. I prefer a more bright upper range.

Source: The RT-1 was powered like so:

HTC U11 -> USB-C adapter -> earphones

Hidizs AP100 3.5mm out -> FiiO A5 3.5mm out -> earphones

HiFiMAN SuperMini -> earphones

PC optical out -> HiFiMe SPDIF 9018 Sabre DAC 3.5mm out -> earphones

All music was served as MP3 @320Kbps or as FLAC.

Sound Signature
    Initial Impressions:

The RT-1 has a relaxed V-shaped sound signature. It doesn’t have aggressive treble and has a pronounced, though lax, bass. The mids are prominent enough and don’t feel recessed, though it isn’t too hard to notice the treble and bass edging out in front of them.

Treble: Songs used: In One Ear, Midnight City, Outlands, Satisfy

Treble is my only real sticking point with the RT-1. While it is a dual-driver hybrid IEM, it could certainly use more upper-treble emphasis. In its present state, I’ve caught myself thinking that an instrument sounds a bit too soft more than a couple times, though this may be an auditory artifact from the poor mastering of those songs / a result of me spending too much time with TOTL IEMs.

One of the reasons I feel so conflicted about the upper-treble on the RT-1 is, in the Cage The Elephant’s song, In One Ear you can hear some amp-buzzing in the left channel, something that my earphones seldom have enough resolution pick up. The RT-1 continued to perform admirably for the rest of the song, giving me a pretty solid timbre for the cymbals and high-hats in the song.

The RT-1 does a good job mitigating sibilance and did not cause my ears any pain or discomfort, even on my worst-mastered songs.

Mids: Songs used: Flagpole Sitta, Jacked Up, I Am The Highway, Dreams

The mids are quite good and have some pretty excellent instrumental separation at this price point. In fact, the quality of the sound staging of the mid-bound instruments took me by surprise. At $50 I don’t think I’ve heard anything better.

Jacked Up was a thoroughly enjoyable listening everything from the two pianos to the guitars and vocals sounded well weighted and full. Though this song did feel noticeably more relaxed than it did on, say, KZ ZST.

The guitars on all my test songs sounded pretty damn good, with no exception. As a result, I am considering updating my “IEM for Rock music under $50” recommendation to the RT-1.

Male and female vocals were well-weighted, though the RT-1 does prefer males.

Bass: Songs used: Moth, Gold Dust, In For The Kill (Skream Remix), War Pigs (Celldweller Remix)

The RT-1 was not designed for bass drops, but that doesn’t stop its dynamic driver from trying really hard to eek out every last rumble from your filthiest playlists. DJ Fresh’s song, Gold Dust, sounded fresh. We’re talking “farmers-market” level fresh.

Auglamour bestowed unto the RT-1 a top-notch bass signature. While it doesn’t have the extension I’d look for in my personal bass-cannon earphones, it does well for its price point. But more on the subject of bass signatures: the RT-1 sounds similar to my full-sized sub-woofer at home and has pretty good bass manipulation. Bass is neither too hard nor too soft, something that aligns well with my personal preferences for bass.

Packaging / Unboxing

Build
    Construction Quality

[​IMG]
    The driver-housings are made of a light and tough plastic, though it has a smooth matte finish that makes it hard to tell. I really like the visuals Auglamour went with on the RT-1. The face-plate is also made of a plastic, though it has a reflective finish. Underneath is another highly-reflective layer of plastic that, at least on my model, has a rainbow finish. This is a highly unique design that is really eye-catching. Auglamour’s designers seem to effortlessly blend aggressively-lined geometry and organic curves.

[​IMG]
    The nozzle is of average length and has two separate holes in it, one for the dynamic driver’s acoustic chamber and the other for the balanced armature driver’s acoustic chamber. It has a well-sized lip that keeps ear-tips secured onto it snugly.

[​IMG]
    The cable is removable and follows the 2-pin 0.75mm standard. It is slightly recessed (on the male side). The cable also features memory-wire close to the connectors and is effective at holding the RT-1 in place. My only complaint is that it tangles easily and has some notable microphonics.

[​IMG]
    The cable is terminated with a metal-encased 3.5mm jack. It’s sturdy and has a good amount of stress relief.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that the following impressions are all subjective and are a result of my unique ear anatomy. Your mileage will vary.

I was able to get a good, albeit shallow, seal with the RT-1. I never once had discomfort while wearing them and I found that their light construction combined with their very capable memory-wire ear-hooks lend them an effortless feeling.

Accessories

• 1x cable wrapper
    • 1x pair of foam eartips
    • 3x pairs of extra silicone eartips
    • 1x cleaning tool
    What can I say? The eartips are comfortable and provide a good seal. The adapter works, as do the cable wrapper and shirt clip. However the case is a bit odd — it’s not something I’ve seen before. I guess the decision to include it is an outcropping of Auglamour’s habit of deviating from the norm. I do think that such a different type of case does indeed have practical uses, however. It provides the RT-1 with a shock resistant layer of protection that is inherently water-resistant. Furthermore, it fits well in tight spaces, and the case itself is bendable.

Summary
    The RT-1 is an impressive package from Auglamour. Had it not come with any real accessories I think I would still recommend it on sound alone. While I can’t say it’s my favorite IEM overall, it certainly does stand out to me from the crowd. If you care as much about the way your IEM looks as you care about the way it sounds, while still trying to not break the bank, the RT-1 is the IEM for you. Auglamour has courage. Real courage.

In case you're having trouble viewing my images, you can find full, uncompressed versions here:
    IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3405.JPG IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3409.JPG IMG_3410.JPG IMG_3411.JPG IMG_3413.JPG IMG_3415.JPG IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3417.JPG