「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #177,571 of 177,747
BTW any recommendations for places to go in Cambodia? I recall you going there many years back, I might be going there next month if everything goes according to plan

Can't help you there my family just dragged me around the place ahah. (doesn't help that I get instantly sick whenever I travel)

I usually go to just see relatives so I'm not familiar with the tourist destinations. I only remember Angkor Wat, some mountain(Bokor?) and coastal area(Kampot).

They have a few massive shopping centres now (Aeon) if you ever need random emergency electronics while you travel. It'd be one of the only places you'll be able to find clothes that fit if you need any, as their "XL" is more like a normal western small or medium. If you're staying for a longer period of time say a week or two, you should be able to find a tailor to make a made-to-measure suit if you don't have one yet or want a decent beater. (other south East Asian countries might be better for this if you're going elsewhere)

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #177,572 of 177,747
BTW any recommendations for places to go in Cambodia? I recall you going there many years back, I might be going there next month if everything goes according to plan
Dunno, but I hear you can get lobster dinner for like a dollar there

So I was listening to this banger when I noticed the lyrics aside from "煙草" (cigarette/tobacco) reading as "tabako" which is pretty straightforward, "運命" (fate/destiny) had "sadame" instead of the more common "unmei". As it turns out "sadame" is just a more "poetic" reading used in literature or songs, but one would have to be a bit weird or a chuuni to use it in real life.

https://ja.hinative.com/questions/13850866

Now I wanna hear an Aina Suzuki cover of Kita Sakaba

Edit: formatting and video links

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #177,573 of 177,747
Your Name falls under the "Seinen" genre, which literally means "mature age", that's it.

When Western/US "adult jokes" and "childish humor" are basically the same thing, I think some bonking and jailing is in order

Maple is back at it again with game-breaking shenanigans.

Haven't yet started In/Spectre S2 and Isekai Handyman, and low key wanna pick up NieR: Automata, Spy Classroom, and Buddy Daddies. What do?

I was speaking in industry terms, specifically used by the AJA as shown below. Interestingly they seem to be scrubbing the term in the newer reports. I did a simple Ctrl+F on the newest one and one from 4 years ago and the term "adult" has gone from 9 to 2 instances. It is still a valuable distinction for the industry because things like Shin Chan or precure, or even molcar may cross generational boundaries but there are many many animations made for 1-10 year olds that don't have the same kinds of revenue streams for merch that the "adult" animations do. Yokai Watch toys are pretty far away in cost to $400 1:4 Anime figures.

SO in terms of anime movies, while the industry was happy to produce a few dozen "kids show" movies a year, "late night" or "adult" anime movies were at a very slow trickle until Your Name happened (and Girls Und Panzer der Films crazy nearly 2-year theatrical run) and showed THERE BE GOLD IN THEM THERE HILLS, and the productions of those movies absolutely exploded.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 155158.png

In/Spector s2 had me worried in episode 1 that it was going to be more back half s1 (boring) than front half s1 (intrigue!). Happily, episode 2 kicks off a nice mystery so here's to hoping for a return to form.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #177,574 of 177,747
I was speaking in industry terms, specifically used by the AJA as shown below. Interestingly they seem to be scrubbing the term in the newer reports. I did a simple Ctrl+F on the newest one and one from 4 years ago and the term "adult" has gone from 9 to 2 instances. It is still a valuable distinction for the industry because things like Shin Chan or precure, or even molcar may cross generational boundaries but there are many many animations made for 1-10 year olds that don't have the same kinds of revenue streams for merch that the "adult" animations do. Yokai Watch toys are pretty far away in cost to $400 1:4 Anime figures.

SO in terms of anime movies, while the industry was happy to produce a few dozen "kids show" movies a year, "late night" or "adult" anime movies were at a very slow trickle until Your Name happened (and Girls Und Panzer der Films crazy nearly 2-year theatrical run) and showed THERE BE GOLD IN THEM THERE HILLS, and the productions of those movies absolutely exploded.

In/Spector s2 had me worried in episode 1 that it was going to be more back half s1 (boring) than front half s1 (intrigue!). Happily, episode 2 kicks off a nice mystery so here's to hoping for a return to form.
I think I was supposed to quote @Cheesebuggah’s post

How many series/song references can you identify?

I am inclined to link this again: https://taiko.bui.pm/

odcixcc6f3aa1.png
renge-salute.jpg

Taiko Web is dead, I unknowingly played it for the last time on 4th January

8F87A0CA-3B44-4B38-84BC-A60FBD480629.jpeg

Guess I’ll have to play it on Switch. I bought Taiko in late 2021 but haven’t touched it once, it’s nicer on iPad with a 120 hz screen IMO

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #177,575 of 177,747

Screenshot 2023-01-16 155158.png

I see. I don't know anything about Your Name and just made a quick assumption about it. Thanks for sharing!

What's everyone most excited for this season?
Had to look up what was upcoming since I sometimes don't keep up with releases. Though, I probably should since the personal excitement of a new episode released every week was awesome.

I look forward to Vinland Saga Season 2. While I didn't really enjoy the (frankly bizarre) story of the first one, I have always been a kicker for fantasy. I would say that I enjoyed the characters but I can't remember many of them at the top of my head. Next season, I heard that The Ancient Magus Bride Season 2 will be airing. Quite excited for that one since I enjoyed it to a point of watching it twice. Also, it is always a pleasure listening to Junichi Matsumoto's "sparkly" soundtracks.

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #177,576 of 177,747
Guys, I found this anime song in a shared computer and I like it a lot. Since most of its lyrics is in Japanese I don’t even know what the title is, only says track 14. Seems like a song from 15+ years ago.

Wish I knew at least the title and the performer (female), so I can purchase the song in hi-res. Some English words mentioned in the song are: take me over the rainbow, happy tomorrow, I’d borrow you a rainbow, yes you are my rainbow, and hallelujah. The only Japanese word I can pick up is: jya matane.

I’d be most grateful if anyone could point me to the right direction.

And yes, I tried Shazam, but nothing came up.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #177,577 of 177,747
Guys, I found this anime song in a shared computer and I like it a lot. Since most of its lyrics is in Japanese I don’t even know what the title is, only says track 14. Seems like a song from 15+ years ago.

Wish I knew at least the title and the performer (female), so I can purchase the song in hi-res. Some English words mentioned in the song are: take me over the rainbow, happy tomorrow, I’d borrow you a rainbow, yes you are my rainbow, and hallelujah. The only Japanese word I can pick up is: jya matane.

What kind of genre we talking about?

There's always Initial D style euro pop with those lyrics :p

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #177,579 of 177,747
I have caught up to ep2, I think Yuki-onna might be best girl of the season actually. Great setup for the next arc without being too much of a cliffhanger.
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 12.35.24 pm.jpg

11631370.jpeg

Benriya Saitou-san ep1 and 2: oof the home call-out lockpicking scene, so relatable. Overall a pretty interesting take on the usual Isekai trope, lol at the king’s request for a hero to defeat the demon lord. Also the canonical origin of imperial measurements isn’t too far off of ours.

Hero-king ep2: Inglis dun goofed, should have stuck with the ruse

Edit: I am a very bad judge of what is considered a spoiler

7538964.gif

And

9F3333CCC5A90FE6D8B159AF91844120C96161CF

I’m curious

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #177,580 of 177,747
A new HomePod? https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023...pod-with-breakthrough-sound-and-intelligence/

Pretty surprising release and looks like it will share almost no common parts with the old one. The screen on the top is now edge-to-edge, foregoing the discrete volume controls; I wonder if they are physically marked in the glass or rendered digitally by the display? The woofer is now motor driven somehow, and it's shed two tweeters but are beamforming (implying the old ones weren't?) Not much details about what became of the old mic array - it has an "internal bass-EQ mic", but the x-ray view doesn't reveal much otherwise. I am looking forward to iFixit's teardown!

Apple-HomePod-2-up-230118.jpg

HomePod 1st gen vs 2nd gen:
homepod_availability_internal_parts_012218_inline.jpg.small_2x.jpg
Apple-HomePod-internals-230118.jpg

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #177,581 of 177,747
Strange that they discontinued it for a while only to revive it again.

Sheesh the base M2 mini is $795 from the education store. Must...wait for M3 or beyond ahahah.

Only having 2 displays available on my M1 mini is annoying because I have to plug/unplug the Cintiq when I want to draw. First world problem I know, it's literally one USB-C plug. The M2 pro seems a bit too expensive at $1800 so I'll have to wait for a more significant upgrade when the M3/M4 comes out.

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #177,582 of 177,747
A new HomePod? https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023...pod-with-breakthrough-sound-and-intelligence/

Pretty surprising release and looks like it will share almost no common parts with the old one. The screen on the top is now edge-to-edge, foregoing the discrete volume controls; I wonder if they are physically marked in the glass or rendered digitally by the display? The woofer is now motor driven somehow, and it's shed two tweeters but are beamforming (implying the old ones weren't?) Not much details about what became of the old mic array - it has an "internal bass-EQ mic", but the x-ray view doesn't reveal much otherwise. I am looking forward to iFixit's teardown!

The magnet and voice coil structure in a dynamic driver is often referred to as a motor. I looked at the link as I was interested if it was a servo sub design but it doesn't appear to be, just a woofer with a chonky magnet for the most part. I would assume the old tweeters are beam forming because they appear to have had the same structure as each other. Maybe they weren't meeting the superlative quota this time and had that one in their back pocket.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #177,583 of 177,747
Strange that they discontinued it for a while only to revive it again.

Sheesh the base M2 mini is $795 from the education store. Must...wait for M3 or beyond ahahah.

Only having 2 displays available on my M1 mini is annoying because I have to plug/unplug the Cintiq when I want to draw. First world problem I know, it's literally one USB-C plug. The M2 pro seems a bit too expensive at $1800 so I'll have to wait for a more significant upgrade when the M3/M4 comes out.
Should get one of these eventual badges for it:

il_fullxfull.2460563642_g6to.jpg

Or just "M Performance" stickers to take the place of "Intel Inside"

The magnet and voice coil structure in a dynamic driver is often referred to as a motor. I looked at the link as I was interested if it was a servo sub design but it doesn't appear to be, just a woofer with a chonky magnet for the most part. I would assume the old tweeters are beam forming because they appear to have had the same structure as each other. Maybe they weren't meeting the superlative quota this time and had that one in their back pocket.
Right right, just Apple whipping out the enthusiast audio terms. Admittedly I don't know much about that stuff, so I did a Google search and found this video:

So basically a woofer motor consists of the voice coil, magnet, top and bottom plate and the pole piece. It's one of two parts that move, with the other being the cone/diaphragm. But I surmise that:
  • The "motor" is only referred to as such in woofer/subwoofer terms, where it is big enough to be considered a separate part, or is actually a separate part
  • Otherwise in a "regular" speaker driver, the motor is integrated into the whole assembly so the whole thing is normally just referred to as a single component
If the HomePod's woofer has a 20mm excursion, that means the voice coil is at least 40mm tall, right? I hope somebody does a more in-depth teardown where they actually dissect the woofer and its motor.

Anyway it's pretty cool that you can now pipe audio to the HomePod (or a stereo pair) from virtually any source if coupled with an Apple TV 4K 2nd gen via eARC. When the 1st gen HomePod first launched it was limited to AirPlay sources. Though you do need a lot of additional gear just to be able have analog audio going to the HomePod.

Nifty site: https://animethemes.moe/

d6acf140-e874-46f2-91c9-c736679e913d_text.gif

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole to track this down...pun intended

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #177,584 of 177,747
If the HomePod's woofer has a 20mm excursion, that means the voice coil is at least 40mm tall, right? I hope somebody does a more in-depth teardown where they actually dissect the woofer and its motor.

It's counterintuitive but it depends on the design, if it is an overhung or underhung voice coil. It's more likely the coil is just over half the excursion in height. Usually, the excursion is measured peak to peak so 10mm up, 10mm back in this case. If a 15mm voice could is in the center at rest, it only needs to move 10mm forward and 10 mm back to hit that 20mm.

One-way excursion is usually called "xmax" which would give you your 40mm of excursion but even then the voice coil only need be a little over half the height to stay in the gap. That being said, people have tried EVERYTHING in speaker design and there are a number of technologies where there are more than one magnetic gap, voice coils with variable coil wind density along their length, voice coils wound INSIDE the voice coil former, all sorts of weird stuff has been done over the past century.

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #177,585 of 177,747
DnaMachi S4 Part 2 ep03: ok I think that's quite enough despair
80,000 gold retirement ep03: dang, fake feels then real feels, ooft
Benriya Saitou-san ep03: I hope that's episodic plot we're finally seeing...
In/Spectre S2 ep03: even the characters are like "you can't make this up"
Hero-king whatever ep02: MC is quite OP, delighted to see how the battle unfolds. Also town ruler sus
Tondemo Skill ep03: Fenrir is quite OP, Mukouda's gonna make bank
Novice Alchemist ep06: ngl so far enjoying this more than Cheat Pharmacist's Slow Life, but are we just gonna let the backstory in ep01 slide?

Pleasantly surprised to discover that the artist of TenTen Kakumei's OP is an Utaite singer, and with some Touhou in her repertoire to boot.

You know what, it's a dead ringer for Makuramoto ni Ghost

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back