100 dollar range earphone with detailed precise sound reproduction?
Mar 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 38
I am not a bass head, but I do found that odd that people think the X10 has a strong bass compare to the rest of the IEMs out there.  To me the X10's bass is pretty neutral compare to my UE900, W4R, or even the SA7.  And if you want to know what REALLY strong bass is, then do youself a favor and try the Bowers & Wilkin C5.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
I am not a bass head, but I do found that odd that people think the X10 has a strong bass compare to the rest of the IEMs out there.  To me the X10's bass is pretty neutral compare to my UE900, W4R, or even the SA7.  And if you want to know what REALLY strong bass is, then do youself a favor and try the Bowers & Wilkin C5.

Not gonna argue with you there, it's your ears and what you heard might not be what I heard. To my ears X10's low-end is quite strong, nowhere near neutral.

But as far as I can tell the difference between X10 and W4R is where the bass is emphasized; X10 favors sub-bass and mid-bass equally, whereas W4R has more mid-bass hump/emphasis. C5 is even more mid-bass heavy. Not gonna make any claims about UE900 or SA7 since I never heard both.

I'm gonna guess that you associate "strong" bass with mid-bass hump; maybe that explains why you think that X10's bass isn't strong.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 38
The X10 has emphasized bass IMO, but it's not the overly-punchy Beats midbass or the bloated, woolly Sony XB bass. IMO the bass of the X10 is emphasized in two ways: one, it gives priority to subbass notes, which sound very nice and textured without becoming intrusive, and two, it is an extremely colored IEM with the mids being rather warmed by the bass. It pulls both off really well though IMO, and never sounds bloated or boomy to me. The X10 is what I listen to in the morning laying in bed when I don't want to wake my girlfriend up 
size]

They sound really good with most genres; I was actually surprised to discover that they do classical quite well, despite their mainstream tuning.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 38
I hate to be that guy, but the X10 is garbage IMO.

The bass is VERY strong in relation to the soundspace. The X10 already sounds tiny and congested, then when you add in that huge bass response, everything just gets claustrophobic and even muddier. It definitely doesn't suit the OP's criteria.

My recommendations would be the Etymotic HF5, Vsonic VC-02, and Logitech UE700.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 38
Echoing these great recommendations.
Quote:

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

I'm gonna guess that you associate "strong" bass with mid-bass hump; maybe that explains why you think that X10's bass isn't strong.

That's probably true.
Quote:

For $100 the HF5 is another one that's hard to beat, but I don't see the reason for the UE700 at $200 when there are so many other better choices at that price range.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 38
UE700 is often $79 on sale, and $120 or so new on eBay/Amazon. It still doesn't compare favorably to the Etymotic HF5 imo.
Quote:
That's probably true.
For $100 the HF5 is another one that's hard to beat, but I don't see the reason for the UE700 at $200 when there are so many other better choices at that price range.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:
The X10 has emphasized bass IMO, but it's not the overly-punchy Beats midbass or the bloated, woolly Sony XB bass. IMO the bass of the X10 is emphasized in two ways: one, it gives priority to subbass notes, which sound very nice and textured without becoming intrusive, and two, it is an extremely colored IEM with the mids being rather warmed by the bass. It pulls both off really well though IMO, and never sounds bloated or boomy to me. The X10 is what I listen to in the morning laying in bed when I don't want to wake my girlfriend up 
size]

They sound really good with most genres; I was actually surprised to discover that they do classical quite well, despite their mainstream tuning.

I thought the opposite of the x10.

When I had it, I felt the bass was uncontrolled and bled into the mids way too often. I generally like warmer sound signatures but the X10 was just hands down one of the worst sounding IEMs (for the price) I have ever heard.

Couple that with awful durability, and I wouldn't pay $30 for it, let alone $100.

Get the HF5.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:
UE700 is often $79 on sale, and $120 or so new on eBay/Amazon. It still doesn't compare favorably to the Etymotic HF5 imo.

Yeah totally.
Quote:

When I had it, I felt the bass was uncontrolled and bled into the mids way too often. I generally like warmer sound signatures but the X10 was just hands down one of the worst sounding IEMs (for the price) I have ever heard.

Couple that with awful durability, and I wouldn't pay $30 for it, let alone $100.

Get the HF5.

I think most people think the X10 sounded bad because the default sound is a bit thin, and for me amping it a bit helps lot on the sound.  I never have any issue with it, but again I am not really rough on my things.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 38
Awful durability? I know the cable doesn't feel top notch and is microphonic, but I've stepped on them, dropped them left and right, had the cable pulled, etc. and never had any problems.

I don't think the X10 is balanced or neutral and would never recommend it for the OP. Not what he's looking for at all.

But based on it's technical ability, comfort, isolation, and user friendliness, it's a ridiculous steal for under $100 for people who want a mainstream/colored signature without any overt flaws; I'd pay $200-$250 if it had a replaceable cable. In fact, if it did, I wouldn't be on a search for an every-day IEM to replace my SE215.
Quote:

Get the HF5.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:
Thin? More like thick....way too thick....like molasses.

?? I am not sure what's going on anymore, maybe I have already moved too far away from it to make a far call.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:
Awful durability? I know the cable doesn't feel top notch and is microphonic, but I've stepped on them, dropped them left and right, had the cable pulled, etc. and never had any problems.

I don't think the X10 is balanced or neutral and would never recommend it for the OP. Not what he's looking for at all.

But based on it's technical ability, comfort, isolation, and user friendliness, it's a ridiculous steal for under $100 for people who want a mainstream/colored signature without any overt flaws; I'd pay $200-$250 if it had a replaceable cable. In fact, if it did, I wouldn't be on a search for an every-day IEM to replace my SE215.

There are more than enough stories about the wires splitting on the X10. You can look it up. Besides, just look at the strain reliefs, they're virtually nonexistent. They aren't built to withstand the rigors of everyday use.

Preference obviously plays a role in all of this, but to me, the Monster Turbines (yeah, the original ones) sounded better than the X10s.

It is comfortable to wear, I will give to you that, but sonically, it's a disaster. I really don't see the appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back