100 watt per channel tube amp overkill for AKG K1000?
Oct 26, 2011 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mark Maloof

New Head-Fier
While I don't have a pair of AKG K1000s yet, I listened to a pair at the the Canjam at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and was quite impressed.  Thinking about getting a pair. For those who have experience with them, while I know single ended 300B style tube amps are preferred by some with this "ear speaker", how would a real nice 100 watt per channel push/pull EL34 tube amp fair?  The reason I ask is that I have a Music Reference RM9 (classic tube amp) that rolls off the highs on my electrostatic panels (they go below 2 ohms in the treble), so of course I have not used it their in a while.  I was going to sell it on Audiogon (a shame, I had great times with the amp in the past, but love my Innersound Eros 3 speakers more, their electrostatic panel is NOT tube friendly).  Now since I experienced those K1000s, I'm thinking of getting a pair.  And I thought "instead of putting this 60 lb amp on Audiogon and then having to ship the HEAVY thing unless I find a NYC customer, I could use is as a over the top headphone amp for K1000s".  I certainly would not run out of headroom!

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Not overkill at all
jecklinsmile.gif
. With a sensitivity of 74 db for 1 mW and 120 ohm the AKG K1000 is going to thank you for the ekstra power with a glorious soundreproduction
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Radio-head, you exposed my secret to the world. You don't have any idea how long it took me to train him to type. Saves me some time, though I have to deal with gramatical errors now and then. I can only teach that walnut-sized brain so much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back