$1200-1800 Open-back Headphone Roundup & Discussion
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

WaveTheory

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this comparison video of the LCD-X (2021), Focal Clear OG & MG, HiFiMan Arya se & v2, ZMF Auteur, Sennheiser HD800s, and Fostex TH909 on my YouTube channel:

Feel free to continue the discussion here! I hope this video and thread helps those shopping around for this class of headphone.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 16
I posted this comparison video of the LCD-X (2021), Focal Clear OG & MG, HiFiMan Arya se & v2, ZMF Auteur, Sennheiser HD800s, and Fostex TH909 on my YouTube channel:

Feel free to continue the discussion here! I hope this video and thread helps those shopping around for this class of headphone.

Did you purchase all these headphones at full retail (not subsidized by manufacturers)? If yes did you sell any? If yes which one?

How long have you had all these cans at the same time and how much time did you spend with each?

Did any of the brands (including brands of any electronics/cables/other accessories) sponsor the video or sponsor any other videos or any other marketing efforts?

Are you in discussion with any of the brands (including brands of any electronics/cables/other accessories) re sampling or future product reviews?

Did any of the brands review or comment on the video before it was published?

Do you have affiliate links or will you be otherwise compensated for products purchased through any link or offer codes you provide?

What’s your qualification to provide such comparison (other than having the cans to test)?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Did you purchase all these headphones at full retail (not subsidized by manufacturers)? If yes did you sell any? If yes which one?

How long have you had all these cans at the same time and how much time did you spend with each?

Did any of the brands (including brands of any electronics/cables/other accessories) sponsor the video or sponsor any other videos or any other marketing efforts?

Are you in discussion with any of the brands (including brands of any electronics/cables/other accessories) re sampling or future product reviews?

Did any of the brands review or comment on the video before it was published?

Do you have affiliate links or will you be otherwise compensated for products purchased through any link or offer codes you provide?

What’s your qualification to provide such comparison (other than having the cans to test)?

These are questions I've answered in the reviews of the individual pieces, but didn't collect in the video.

I bought, modded, and assembled the TH900 Lawton I used over several months. I have put a lot of work into it and am not going to sell it.

None of the other headphones in this comparison came directly to me from a manufacturer or retailer. They were loaned to me by independent third parties; @sa11297 being the main lender and @damadaka loaned me the Arya se.

None of the brands have pre-viewed or commented on my reviews before posting. I would not agree to such an arrangement.

After my Arya se video posted to YouTube, I was asked by HiFiMan if I would like to do reviews for them. They have provided review samples for the Edition XS (also posted) and the HE400se (review pending). They have made no attempt to influence my opinion in any way.

Apos Audio, which provided no gear for this review, has sent me review units as well, mostly Topping amps and DACs. I post affiliate links for those products in the descriptions of my review videos and make sure to disclose that they are affiliate links. I mention this here to point out that even though I have financial incentive to say positive things about Topping gear, as well as the pressure to maintain relationship with the provider of review samples, I don't hesitate to point out the shortcomings of the gear sent. Please watch my Topping reviews if you don't believe that.

So far I have made no profit from my review work. I run it mostly at my own expense out of my basement simply because I enjoy listening to and learning about this gear and sharing what I learn.

As far as qualifications...I have an intro video on my channel where I talk about where my love for music and gear comes from. Professionally, I'm a physics professor. That's my "real job". I enjoy it and it is what supports me and my family. This review stuff is fun on the side for now.

Reviewing on YT is a relatively new endeavor for me and I hope it continues to grow.

I hope that answers your questions.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Thank you and good luck with the channel.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Thank you for the comparisons, now I'm definitely set on buying a TH909.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Thank you for the comparisons, now I'm definitely set on buying a TH909.
New or used? Seems they had a bit of price jump recently, along with most of Earth.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 16
New or used? Seems they had a bit of price jump recently, along with most of Earth.

I'm keeping an eye out on the used market, but if nothing comes up for too long... who knows what may happen.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Mar 31, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 16
Good luck! What amp and dac do you plan to use?

:point_up:typing on phones is a pain sometimes, lol

I got an iFi iCAN Signature amp and the iFi iDSD Signature DAC on order at a local place at the moment, I'm planning on using those with it. I liked that I have a lot of ways to change the way the headphones sound with this combo.

Mar 31, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 16
I got an iFi iCAN Signature amp and the iFi iDSD Signature DAC on order at a local place at the moment, I'm planning on using those with it. I liked that I have a lot of ways to change the way the headphones sound with this combo.
Sweet! I haven't heard those yet but odds are good they'll handle the Fostex well. Happy hunting! Please keep us posted.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Enjoyed the vid. Articulate and detailed comparisons :thumbsup:

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 16
I really appreciate the work and effort put into videos like this. It takes some serious time to compare all this gear, make it work as a whole and record/edit (as an ex-videomaker).
There is a negative side tho: it convinced me to buy an Arya SE... so I'm poor now. :D

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 16
For me a fully modded th900 blew the doors off of the max price point, but that and hd800S does it for me sub 1800$ to the end, it’s all I need at this point.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 16
I really appreciate the work and effort put into videos like this. It takes some serious time to compare all this gear, make it work as a whole and record/edit (as an ex-videomaker).
There is a negative side tho: it convinced me to buy an Arya SE... so I'm poor now. :D
LOL. Maybe the bank account is poor, but your experience of music just got much richer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back