1266 TC or Susvara? Would love some guidance
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 34
Hi

After posting for some help on here about an upgrade to my HP gear I have decided after a lot of reading that a change of headphone will probably be the best way to start. The Burson amp is only a year old and for now it will stay in the set up.

I apologise for the length of the post but I want to give as much detail and information as I can.

I am up in the North East of England and it is very difficult to audition gear. I have always done a lot of research and reading before making my purchases. I know this is not ideal but it seems to have worked more often than not.

I currently use my IPhone to stream TIDAL to my Burson 3XR headphone amplifier, connected by USB cable. I currently have the HD800S and the Hifiman HEKv1.

I have narrowed it down to the Susvara or the 1266TC after A LOT of research on head fi and various reviews etc.

It is difficult to say what I am looking for really , but something which is a bit of an all rounder .

Ideally moving forward I will sell both of my existing HPs and only keep one main set.

HD800S – What I love about this is the soundstage , it is so wide and I feel this helps all the instruments and vocals to stand out. Only issue is I do feel it can be a tad bright with some music .

HEK love the bass, it is full and hits harder than the HD800S. It’s a very smooth sounding HP in my opinion and still has the detail IMO. Compared to the HD800S though it sounds a bit congested at times, I have put this down to having a smaller soundstage.

So ideally my new HP will combine the best of both.

I know we all say it but my musical tastes are quite wide, the only thing I never listen to is Classical and rarely Jazz, although some I do listen to.

I love Metal, Country, Folk , American, Dance , Rap etc

Today I have listened to some Kacey Musgraves, Iron Maiden, Skepta, Ryan Adams, Little Simz and Sleigh Bells, so I need an all rounder of a headphone I reckon.

I have always sought advice on here and all of my previous purchases were made after seeking the advice of others and I am now looking for some guidance once again.

For eg, will my Burson 3XR drive the HPs I have shortlisted, does anyone have any experience of these pairings.

I am looking forward to any suggestions and I appreciate any guidance as always.
Sus is the better all rounder, 1266 is more fun

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #34 of 34
1266 is better than Sus, if you really drive it corecctly. Try to get an secondhand Liquid Gold Amp. If you do not like second hand stuff, the Amp from 47 Laboratory Audio or Ypsilon are also ok.
I have a Niimbus US5 Pro on order . So that should be a good upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back