<$150 In-Ear choices
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Portable Mink

New Head-Fier

[size=10.0pt]Hi all,[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I have been doing a fair bit of research lately into buying a new set to replace my Alessandro MS1’s that I’ve had for few years now.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]They have served me fantastically but I’m now travelling via train to work and being open ended, it just doesn’t work. I also listen to music quietly through one ear at work where both ears is ‘inappropriate’.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]So anyways, my research has led me to a point where I have a few ideas but not enough intimate knowledge of in-ears to really make a decision I will sit happy with.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I listen to everything from acoustic Rodrigo Y Gabriela, to Black Sabbath, to Breakbeats, to Soul, to anything basically….[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The options I have come up with at this stage are as follows:[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Shure SE215 – great sound isolation and probably great for some of my metal music and heavier bassier stuff.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]VSONIC GR07 – great all around sound but I’ve heard a few reviews mention issues with sibilance. Not sure what to make of this.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]MEELECTRONICS CC51 – love the look, great reviews and seem to really put a lot of effort into a balanced sound similar to the GR07 but no mention of any sibilance issues from what I can find. The iPhone option also seems appealing.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]MEELECTRONICS A151  - probably not as solid bass as the CC51 above but their website seems to rate them as better? Bit of confusion around these as a comparison to the CC51’s.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]These are really the 4 that have caught my attention at this stage. Similar price range. I guess the VSONIC’s are a bit more for the really learned in-ear fans and less for someone looking for the safety of a big brand purchase. However I am not a sucker for brand name, I just want quality at an affordable price.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Primary use is iPod, iPhone.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Happy to take other suggestions with maybe a summation of why they are better or a wiser choice.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Thanks to you all,[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mink.[/size]

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 4
I have owned/heard a lot of $150 and under iem's in the last 5-6 months and currently own the se215 and a151 and own the allesandro ms1's.   IMO the best sound quality under $150 is a used triple fi off of the buy/sell boards...I got mine for $120 basically new and love them.  That being said, I have no fit issues with them and think they are just fine comfort wise.  Other options that I have personally heard...RE0's(properly amped these sound a lot like the ms1 to me)brainwavz m1 and m2, fischer eterna and monster turbine at the refurb or amazon special price.  I do favor bassy, musical, non analytical sound signatures and don't listen to anything technically demanding..ie no trance or metal.  Another option that I looked at but haven't heard is the phonak pfe line...people seem to love them and you can fine-tune your sound. Some people think the imetal 590 sounds very grado-like.   Be sure and check out joker and clios' excellent iem reviews/roundups and try to find some that match your musical likes and what you think you like sound sig-wise.  Hope that helps

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 4
oh and welcome to head-fi...sorry about your wallet :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back